How much should I charge for a map with custom assets?

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Re: How much should I charge for a map with custom assets?

Postby Xyos212 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:59 am

Stormy, Corewarp, Kraid, thank you for the advice. Very much appreciate it :)

@Smurf: I have been mapping for years for various engines. I understand how to map just fine :)
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Smurftyours wrote:As I posted in the other thread, I think it would be wise to spend some time refining your knowledge in hammer before continuing onto any paid contracts. There was some pretty glaring issues you glazed over and some really hacky techniques to put that map together.

Smurft why are you so angry today? Take your meds bro
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SmileTime on Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 am

Well honestly the de_serenity art leaves something to be desired, it is nice but not great and you should put more work and detail than that into anything you sell. Anyone of any level of any skill can always improve and it is an average map.

The quality of that map is why I said "in the hundreds." I've seen other people and also myself sell work like that and better for =<$500. The map doesn't have much detail.

There is a market for this though.
SmileTime

Postby Xyos212 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:34 pm

SmileTime wrote:Well honestly the de_serenity art leaves something to be desired, it is nice but not great and you should put more work and detail than that into anything you sell. Anyone of any level of any skill can always improve and it is an average map.

The quality of that map is why I said "in the hundreds." I've seen other people and also myself sell work like that and better for =<$500. The map doesn't have much detail.

There is a market for this though.

Your right there is always room to improve and I agree de_serenity has flaws, and in my next map Ill take all the comments on it into account :)

Now money wise, if your selling work for less than 500 dollars on something your putting days, months into, your selling yourself short. De_serenity, if all the props were made already, and it was simply the mapping part of it, yes less than 500 is a decent price. But if you do what I did and make every prop yourself, the price will go up, way up.

Its all about how much your time is worth to you. I am not trying to blow smoke up my own ass, but I have had a few people offer 2K for a similar map with custom assets. I feel thats about fair, could be a little higher, but its fair for the time required for a full custom map with models and textures.

I dont know if I could make a living off of free-lancing my 3d art around, it would be pretty stressful I would imagine. For now I do it as a hobby and if I can make money thats great :) If not I still enjoy doing it. Having others see and play my map is enough satisfaction for me.
Avatar images are 130x130 - Please refer to the Forum Rules.
Xyos212
Regular
Regular

Postby Jman on Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:26 pm

If it takes you months you should be charging for your time. It's not unreasonable to believe it'd end up in the thousands though considering the time investment.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Game Development