s2 engine

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

s2 engine

Postby Stormy on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:26 pm

So I saw this little bit of eye candy pop up the other day: (skip to about midway for the juicy stuff)

http://www.profenix.com/

I downloaded the free version but couldn't get it to work on my laptop. The graphical features look nice and although it seems to have been in development for the past few years it's pretty new. I think it looks like a good engine to make some scenes in, as opposed to say UDK or unity. No idea about the scripting system since there is no documentation about that anywhere. I guess it wouldn't be as diverse or adaptable as the other engines but I am going to keep an eye on it. If I can get it to work on my lappy I'd like to have a fiddle.

What does Lopers think?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: s2 engine

Postby ScarT on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm

I'm surprised nobody tried to pass this off as "Source 2" yet.
ScarT

Postby jimonions on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:27 am

The particles look a little rough but they are probably unfinished.
also the example areas seem very under-detailed. I'm thinking this is probably because they are working on other things or none of them are artists.
Overall it kind of looks like a cross between unit and cryengine.

might have to try it out sometime cus udk isn't really cutting it for me and I don't have the cry sdk either.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:29 am

I might download it to see how it runs on my system. Been wanting to put it through its paces for a while now and I'm sick of Crysis being my only option.

It looks pretty nice though. Loving the lighting effects. But seriously, they need to upload a 1080p video. 720p just doesn't cut it when trying to show off visuals. Youtube compression is bad enough.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:42 am

jimonions wrote:Overall it kind of looks like a cross between unit and cryengine.

It actually is. The guy replied in one of the comments saying it was a hybrid engine formed from cryengine & unity.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Stormy on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:13 am

Anyone have any idea how he does that cubemap diffusion? Is is a simple gaussian blur on the cubemap image? I would love to use that for specularity in source, it would be a great way to fake dynamic environmental light bounce I think. Could this be done in a shader?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:43 am

Downloaded it and tried to do the extraction process and apparently one or more of the files were corrupted, so I couldn't finish the extraction process. Gonna redownload. Hopefully it won't be corrupted this time.

Also, how could he have formed an engine from Cryengine and Unity? Do the SDKs for both engines come with source code to do such a thing?
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:04 am

I think he based the ideas on both of them probably, CryEngine is layered under so many awful interfaces you can't make anything look pretty unless you own 20+ studios like CryTek. And Unity looks bad but is really easy to use, this looks like a good balance.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:43 am

Sounds really nice. I hope the free edition isn't too limited.

Anyway, seems like it downloaded properly this time around. I guess it just stopped downloading like half way through for some reason and I didn't notice. Hm.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kraid on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:59 pm

It's not bad, but it clearly shows they still have a long way to go to be anywhere near the other engines.
I'll keep an eye on it for sure.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Game Development