Model pimpage Thread

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Model pimpage Thread

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Finishing the supports for the bridge. Cannot seem to set up Blender to export not made collision mesh for the supports, some supports are hollow not sure how to make collision meshes suitable for source through Blender. To be honest there is way too many models I need to do so I have gone straight to creating a new set of models.

---------------------------
Is there any one that would like to help me on other models that need to be created? I am going to try and create the train tracks but I need handrails tailored for a building.

I can make a thread dedicated to this Level, where can I do this at under construction forum? though seeing as a competition just happened I doubt anyone has any time to help me.
----------------------------

I have started a set of models for trains. I have started to use modifiers. Though the polygon count is reaching very high levels. I probably need to delete a lot of edge loops but then it will not look how I want.

How should one attempt low polygon train tracks?

Clamps

Hammer/Blender

Train track

Various tube pipes and holders and one train light

Hammer train tracks Y splitter
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Doesn't half life 2 already have plenty of train stuff? Have a look at the levels that take place on train tracks - the opening level for one. I think of all things, train tracks are the last thing you'll need to make fresh.

You can also decompile maps to get them into hammer and have a closer look if you need.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:39 pm

I have recently been working on props for a train area, I hope they will all be modular and work together.

With the train tracks I created a wood type and a concrete type texture with 6 varations. I have tried to improve HL2 models Is the texture of good quality?

Track wires

Based on London Underground type of track wires.

What does one think on the direction of the texture/style/quality?
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 am

did someone... say.. underground...
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Stormy on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:22 am

Oh snap you still have that?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Smurftyours on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:29 am

Yes.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby plagueofburia on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Awesome smurftyours, that is great, I like the details done on the underground carriage.

Mixed with these wires and tracks one would be able to get some kind of train underground scene going.

Found a train track light picture, then modelled a basic light. It is about 36 units wide, I hope it is a good size to fit in any game world. 512x512 texture size

Track clamps wood

Track clamps concrete

A set of 3 different wires for trains/outside wires are 512 units in length, the seams are not good.

Broken holder using same texture from one of the 3 wires. The texture used is a texture already created. I messed with UVs and it is missing shadows and details. It seems okay though as a low basic prop.

I was wondering would one create a specular map on the wire part of the texture? If I can create a specular map not done one yet. To have that shine plastic look or is this okay as is?

Any thoughts/criticism on any of these wires/lights/tracks.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:57 pm

I think those cables are pretty old and grubby so if you are worried about texture memory limits you can just leave the specularity map out of it. However, if they are going to be used in a low light area (night time, underground) then they might benefit from a little rimlighting, in which case you might as well give them some specularity with a low exponent term (?) so that they pop a little more.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$rimlight

On a side note, it's obvious you come from a 2d background, that light texture is sexy as hell.

EDIT: for the lower detail cables you really should be using 6 vert circles. If you want to lower the vert count without destroying your UV maps, select the edgeloop by holding alt and clicking on the edge (blender will select the appropriate edgeloop) and then hit x and select "delete edgeloop". It should maintain the same UV co-ords.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Kanine01 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:45 am

robutte wip

Inspired by the art of [url="http://mrjakeparker.com/"]Jake Parker[/url].
Kanine01
Regular
Regular

Postby shadowmancer471 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:52 pm

I couldn't get the hero shader to work in blender, so excuse the ingame shots
Made a set for Gyrocopter in Dota 2

Collection here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =292917625
I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby Kanine01 on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

flaregun wip
Kanine01
Regular
Regular

Postby Kanine01 on Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:56 am

Speed model in about two hours.
Kanine01
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:25 am

Hi, I created a carpet model based on a tile set it was suggested to do this. It seems to work the end carpet part of the texture is a little odd but feedback might help I have added height variations to the Z axis of the carpet, that could not be possible with a tiled brush. This hopefully will cast varied shadows under the carpet on the floors.

I used 4 512 x 512 sized textures as they were the same size as the original tile set.

I have added extra edge loops to give variation to the meshes perhaps to many edge loops.

Something with the alpha is really strange I can mess with alpha clipping in Blender but when I select the object the alpha of the texture changes, does anyone know if I have done something wrong with the alpha? or why this happens? or this this just blender?

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:08 am

Don't worry about how your alpha channel behaves in blender, source handles it totally differently. You have far too many edgeloops there. You can use tris on a model like this, there's no reason to have all those extra verts for the sake of loop flow.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby kraid on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:04 am

If i would do it as a model, I'd do it like this:

Now for deforming i would add additional loops to the parts that need to be deformed:

But i wouldn't use a model for this puropse in source.
The reason is simple, no possibility for lightmaps on props.

Since it covers such a big area with different lighting conditions, it would look odd.
You could use per vertex lighting as an approach, but it also might look strange depending on your light conditions and the vertex density of the mesh.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation