Model pimpage Thread

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Model pimpage Thread

Postby DoxC on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:26 am

Hey guys, I need help scaling this,
Are the windows to small/big?? because everything so far has just been scaled with my eye, and when i tried the units in metres it didnt scale in source too well (It was HUGE ). I even imported an hl2 npc and tried to go off that but i still cant get the windows the right size.
:(
DoxC

Postby [KIRBY] on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:51 am

Source units are exactly the same as 3DS Max default units.
also Source units are Inches, if you want to keep realistic scale.

anyway, if you are unsure about sizes of windows and such things in 3ds max, make a room/window/door/whatever in Hammer out of BSP brushes, and then select option to export map as .DXF file
you will be able to import it into 3ds max and work on it.
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Use 'generic units', then the 3ds Max and Hammer units are equal.

In 3ds Max go to Customize > Units Setup > 'Generic Units' and under "System Unit Setup" make sure 1 Unit = 1.0 Inches.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:13 am

I am trying to do the broken parts and this seems to be the best way. If I try and make the UVs straight they will warp the texture grid. This does mean I need more UV space. Is this going in the right direction. I can try and merged them all onto one texture sheet later is this a good direction for this part of the model.

I have seen models unwrapped in this way, the HL2 ep2 red bridge is unwrapped in this way.

This is just one of the 4 broken parts. I can only see this going in two ways using one 2048x2048 or two 1024x1024 sheets

At 1024x1024 to fit all the pieces onto this sheet will mean the texture will probably look blurry.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 am

If you do them the way like in your Pic above, you'll have to do each piece individually.
I'd rather develop the destructed parts from a non destructed model, just like in the example with the beams.

No time for a more detailed explaination now sorry. (g2g to work)
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby plagueofburia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 pm

I have started texturing the supports. The UVs are okay, the texture looks strange for some reason, struggling to find something that works. What does one think of this at the moment? What kind of texture would you go with?

UVs I might move some of the islands around see if I can get better results. I also need the texture to be seamless.

Texture, I don't know about the rust it seems jarring at first glance.

Sorry my map/bridge and everything else is not finished. Recently been really high temperature hard to concentrate on anything.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Kanine01 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm

finished i think
Kanine01
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:49 pm

The texture hasn't changed that much, what does one think of the overall texture idea? There is a lot more rust. There is hardly any base coat of the paint. I have also added bolts. I am not sure if the bolts make sense.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:14 am

Not bad. just make sure the texture of this part blends well with the texture of the beams.
Since the rest of the Bridge has little to no paint left, i'd do the same with this part.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Really nice work Kanine01! Some great progress plagueofburia :D

1.096-1.200 triangles, 1024² D/S, 1024×512 D/S/A

Some windows for de_binnenhof.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Cheers kraid, yeah I revised the texture again. Kept the original rust idea, lowered the rusts intensity but decided the bolts do not fit the overall idea. The lower half of the texture is seamless. It turned out very different then the reference I used. It was suppose to be green paint : )

UV unwrapping slowed everything down in creating these B_supports, I am not really sure why that was. Perhaps next time I won't spend that amount of time on UV unwrapping. These supports are still not finished I need to complete the broken parts next.

Front

Back

I have noticed one thing these black shadows have appeared on the mesh, I have recalculated normals but nothing seems to change. I don't know what is wrong or if it can even be fixed.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 am

The dark Shadows are caused by the shading that is uniform across the whole mesh it seams.
You need to define where the smoothing breaks.

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questi ... is-there-a

Using an "Edge Split Modifier" seems to be the best solution to me.
The Set Solid/Set Smooth and Autosmooth doesn't carry over to other apps and i guess also doesn't export to source.
The Edge Split Modifier on the other hand splits the vertics at said edges, which is something that's done with all hard edges/smoothing groups during export to a gameengine anyway.

There's also a command called edge split, but it splits the geometry instantly while the Modifier makes it possible to apply changes to the edge selection.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:57 pm

its defo smoothing groups causing this problem

remove ALL smoothing groups from your mesh, then autosmooth at 30 degrees, it should do the trick
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Does the Blender smd Exporter recognize the default blender smoothing?
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice it means a lot.

Kirby, where would the smoothing groups in blender be : ). Is it the shading option? I see options for smooth and flat.

Smooth shading was over the whole mesh, put it back to flat the black shadows have gone, thanks, though this is strange. Added an edge split modifier at 30 degrees but I can't see any changes to the flat shading. I looked up auto smooth in Blender, I can't find auto smooth it should be in the object data area in the properties panel under normals I see nothing there. Edge split seems to have the same functions as auto smoothing but it is not exactly the same,

It is possible to select some faces to be smooth and some to be flat, so that is what I have tried to do the X part of the mesh is smooth and the rest is flat. The problem I can see here is while it is great to be able to do this, how can one tell quickly what faces are smooth and which are flat?

Does the Blender smd Exporter recognize the default blender smoothing?

I am not sure I have not exported anything for a long time. In the exporter I do see the option that says ignore Blender. Though that says"only export face assigned image file names" . I don't know how blender handles smooth and flat shading. I heard when exporting to make everything smooth shading, otherwise the model will not compile correctly I do not know if this is true or not. If this is true having selected some faces Smooth and some faces Flat like I have done will mean the model will not compile.

Black shadows have gone.

I do have another question about source this has been asked and answered before but can I add in the VTF texture parameters so one model can cast a shadow onto another model? I don't believe textures on models work this way in source. I may need to add a slight artificial shadow on the texture, these supports are underneath, they look strange without a shadow.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation