Interlopers Wip Texture Thread!

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Postby Dionysos on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Ah thanks a lot, I didnt know about that yet :-D Gonna make my life a lot easier with that... so you directly export to vtf? you dont use vtex?
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Head on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Head
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Dionysos on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:25 pm

yay thanks to you both texturing has just become a lot more fun :P
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:02 am

Just practicing, made this from a picture I took while in New York:

In Game (with gamma increased in imageready):

There's a normal on it, unnecessary I suppose, but good practice.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ale on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:14 am

I like the normal map. Maybe you could have 2 copies of the texture, 1 with the small leaves, and 1 without, and then make a blend texture to have more freedom with the leaves, since the amount of leaves is not very large, tiling will be a problem
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:57 pm

Hmm that's a really good idea, I'll try and put it otgether soon.

Can blend textures have normal maps?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Psy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:46 am

Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:56 am

Mr Happy wrote:Just practicing, made this from a picture I took while in New York:

You need to be carefull with your resolution and scale.
If you can post the original photo i could give you some tips on how to make it look better.

Psycho wrote:Image

The window looks really weird. It seems like the original photo was taken from below, which gives it a weird perspective comparing to the rest of the texture. For this kind of details its better to create them in a 3d application.
The blending looks a bit fake as well, but i think it works fine ingame.
Base texture looks nice also :)
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Hey that's really nice of you barra. The original photo is 2812 x 2112 so I'll just link to it:

This is the photo I used

I also have two other photos I took within a few seconds of it, this one and this one.

I was walking so most of it's a little blurry, what I did was use the top left quarter of it, the part that was less blurry. Then I clonestammped to get rid of a few bits that were still blurry, added a few leaves, and made it seamless (I think lol). The texture is 512 x 512, although in game I had to scale it to .125 to get it the right size.

I'm working on another texture also now, based off of texture #11275 at cgtextures.com, I'll post it too when I get it in game

p.s. is there an easier way to actually see the texture tiled out than copying and pasting it into a new file serveral times?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby BaRRaKID on Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Ok heres what you can do.
First crop the 512x512 section from the original photo just like you did. But if you use it just like that all the details will look too big, and you have to scale it really low in game, just like happened in this case.
So what you do is after croping you encrease the canvas size (not the image size) to 1024x1024 (or 2048x2048 if you're feeling like it :P). Then place the 512x512 section on one of the canvas corners (lets say top left) and copy that section 3 times, and place each of those copies on a different corner of the image.
So now you have the same 512x512 section repeated four times on a 1024x1024 image.
You then have to make it tile, off course you need to do that twice, and don't forget to merge all the layers before starting doing it.
After finishing it, in case its still too obvious that you have four sections repeated on the texture just pick pieces from other photo sources and blend them with it to give some randomness.
Now once you're finished scale the final product to 512x512, you should do this only once the texture is 100% finished so that you dont loose detail. Now you have a better scale to use in game, and hopefully some of the blur will be gone giving it a sharper look. If that doesn't work run a Unsharp Mask filter and play around with the settings untill it looks better. Don't over do it tough.
In case this texture is going to cover a large area its better if you do it 1024x1024, so that it will be harder to tell where it tiles. In that case you need to copy the section 7 times, and encrease the canvas to 2046x2048 and finally scale it to 1024x1024.
I also advise you to play a bit with the brightness/contrast and hue/saturation options to give it more color and contrast.
Hope you can understand everything and that this helps.
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Generalvivi on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:15 pm

hey pyscho, your windows have a wierd 3d perspective on them

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7781 ... rg4.th.jpg

i would try and get rid of that (inner window perspective) as that will prob not look goo ingame.

I beleive hessi had a tut over at mapcore about doing this . check the 2d section
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Ripper_hugme on Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 am

A texture for my map for the NS2 comp. (I plan on really starting when I get rattlesnake out :roll:)

Unfortunately I suck at clean spacey metal... any tips?

Barely working on (I'm still very busy with real life):
cp_yettobenamed (Updated... Sort of)
dm_agoge (Beta 2 out now)
Ripper_hugme
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Psy on Sun May 13, 2007 9:25 am

Looks really fake!

Use the burn and dodge tool to add variation in colour and depth.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby upriser on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:36 am

Well, I'm in a different state from my computer with the monastery map that I've been toiling away at during random intervals over the last year. But while I wait for my roomie to email me my level (I took the .BSPs, instead of the .VMFs...), I just got a wacom tablet and Photoshop Elements (yay bundles!). Mmm, so finally I'm starting to seriously texture for the level.

Tell me what you think... Also, what are your 3d modeling programs of choice? Do most of you that model work in xsi? I'm comfortable in Maya and 3dstudio, but I want to get good at xsi, but it just seems so much different than them.

"If only to do was as easy as to know."
- Shakespeare
upriser
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:40 am

I like the stone, but not the wood so much.

I think most people here use 3DsMax

XSI is pretty simple and intuitive once you get a few basic things down, and figure out the workflow
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation