Share Your Models

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Blink on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:17 am

Superb thread, stickied.
User avatar
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that
 
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:16 pm
Location: UK

Re: Share Your Models

Postby nub on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:12 am

Blink wrote:Superb thread, stickied.


Yay!


Awesome oildrum Garrador. I has downloaded. :D


I can start a share your textures thread, I just finished reworking my gecko textures.
User avatar
nub
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, US

Re: Share Your Models

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 am

I'm just thinking that it should become standard practice to include Jpegs of each of our models (that show up in model viewer) with a little signature or something in the lower right hand corner, because if someone goes and downloads a bunch of models from this thread over a long period of time, it might get irritating to come back to this thread and find the correct person to credit especially since image links break over time as people switch hosting and such.
I'm Brown
Image
User avatar
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:14 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Deathmonkey on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:08 am

stoopdapoop wrote:I'm just thinking that it should become standard practice to include Jpegs of each of our models (that show up in model viewer) with a little signature or something in the lower right hand corner, because if someone goes and downloads a bunch of models from this thread over a long period of time, it might get irritating to come back to this thread and find the correct person to credit especially since image links break over time as people switch hosting and such.



Thats a great idea!!! What do I have to do so that the jpeg shows up in the modelview?
Image
Portfolio: viewtopic.php?t=17498
"These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world...and then we fucked up the end game." (Charlie Wilson)
User avatar
Deathmonkey
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:31 am
Location: A German in Chile

Re: Share Your Models

Postby nub on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 pm

I think you include a picture with the same name as the .mdl file, in the same location. I'm fairly sure.

But this is only useful if people use the old model browser.
User avatar
nub
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, US

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Garrador on Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 pm

well, for crediting, you could always leave a watermark in the texture sheet. Ofc not over any UV's.
But you dont always have room ofc. but just enter you're name in the model?

like prop_oildrum01a_garrador, or prop_oildrum01a_gar.

You could also comment out "Made By NameHere" in the VMT.

Code: Select all
// Made by garrador
"VertexlitGeneric"
{
lotsastuff
}


There are the IF's if not creating the jpg :P lol, why not just create the damn jpg.
Although, it starts to heap up with preperations of shit to do before uploading a single model.
I myself, hate compiling models for source.

- Make the model,
- export smd's,
- write the QC (have a template ofc),
- export sheets as VTF,
- write the VMT,
- hit compile
--------------------------------
- get errors
- fix useless VMT errors like "VertexLitGenric"
--------------------------------
- Render JPG of model
- Open in PS
- Leave trademark

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This is my "get pissed with source" schedule. SO the less I have to do to get it ingame, the happier I am :P
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
User avatar
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Lord Ned on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Garrador wrote:- Make the model,
- export smd's,
- write the QC (have a template ofc),
- export sheets as VTF,
- write the VMT,
- hit compile
--------------------------------
- get errors
- get errors
- get errors
- get errors
- get errors
- get errors
- Restart steam
- Create the filepath
- Fix $cdmaterials
- Add -nop4
- Add -game
- fix useless VMT errors like "VertexLitGenric"
--------------------------------
- Get compiled but your mad at it so you give up.

Fixed.
Resident Source Guru, Competent Level Designer, Talented Artist, Horrible Speller
User avatar
Lord Ned
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot
 
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Jman on Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:35 pm

Garrador wrote:well, for crediting, you could always leave a watermark in the texture sheet. Ofc not over any UV's.
But you dont always have room ofc. but just enter you're name in the model?

like prop_oildrum01a_garrador, or prop_oildrum01a_gar.

You could also comment out "Made By NameHere" in the VMT.

Code: Select all
// Made by garrador
"VertexlitGeneric"
{
lotsastuff
}


There are the IF's if not creating the jpg :P lol, why not just create the damn jpg.
Although, it starts to heap up with preperations of shit to do before uploading a single model.
I myself, hate compiling models for source.

- Make the model,
- export smd's,
- write the QC (have a template ofc),
- export sheets as VTF,
- write the VMT,
- hit compile
--------------------------------
- get errors
- fix useless VMT errors like "VertexLitGenric"
--------------------------------
- Render JPG of model
- Open in PS
- Leave trademark

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This is my "get pissed with source" schedule. SO the less I have to do to get it ingame, the happier I am :P

It's much easier for me. :P I just take the model, export as smd, use a base qc, switch some names around, hit compile, it's done. As for materials I use the photoshop plugin and a base vmt. Takes like 2 seconds to compile. Also the new guistudiomdl doesn't have the -nop4 thing, it works fine.

Also I almost never leave a water or trademark or anything on my models, nobody needs to know imo.
User avatar
Jman
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:01 pm

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Garrador on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:23 pm

Well, I have templates, but multi-tasking keeps messing up sometimes :P And finding all directories b/c winodows wont fckn remember where I saved last time :P

It takes no more than 1 minute MAX, but still agitating when it wont take less than 1 :P
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
User avatar
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Jman on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Garrador wrote:Well, I have templates, but multi-tasking keeps messing up sometimes :P And finding all directories b/c winodows wont fckn remember where I saved last time :P

It takes no more than 1 minute MAX, but still agitating when it wont take less than 1 :P

Have a shortcut to SteamApps on your desktop to skip half the looking. :D
User avatar
Jman
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:01 pm

Re: Share Your Models

Postby nub on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:33 pm

Jman wrote:
Garrador wrote:Well, I have templates, but multi-tasking keeps messing up sometimes :P And finding all directories b/c winodows wont fckn remember where I saved last time :P

It takes no more than 1 minute MAX, but still agitating when it wont take less than 1 :P

Have a shortcut to SteamApps on your desktop to skip half the looking. :D


That's exactly what I have. It's useful. I made the shortcut icon a tree. :D
User avatar
nub
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, US

Re: Share Your Models

Postby mat_de_b on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Put all the shortcuts in a folder, then right click on the bar at the bottom of the screen

Toolbars->New Toolbar... -> Your folder...

This makes it come up in the bottom corner and makes navigation eeeesaaaay...
User avatar
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod
 
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Share Your Models

Postby Garrador on Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:45 am

Jman wrote:
Garrador wrote:Well, I have templates, but multi-tasking keeps messing up sometimes :P And finding all directories b/c winodows wont fckn remember where I saved last time :P

It takes no more than 1 minute MAX, but still agitating when it wont take less than 1 :P

Have a shortcut to SteamApps on your desktop to skip half the looking. :D


And ruin my awesome workflow? :o
:P maybe Ill do that someday.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
User avatar
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran
 
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:39 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Share Your Models

Postby sweaterpirate on Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 pm

Very nice so far, I wish I was a bit more adept to modeling because I want to make some of the episode 2 trees fit in a bit better with tf2's art style. Would be awesome!
sweaterpirate
Dumpling
Dumpling
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:20 am

Re: Share Your Models

Postby marks on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Just FYI Garrador, you can also embed a digital watermark into the final texture sheet ¬_¬ it's completely invisible on the texture, it's just tagged inside the .jpg data. You can read/write them in photoshop through the filters menu.
User avatar
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly
 
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:07 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users