New 3ds Model Tool to expedite Source Model Creation

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: New 3ds Model Tool to expedite Source Model Creation

Postby shawnolson on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Sentura wrote:happens every time from what i see, but it seems the path does get set. i just ignored it and did some manual work around.

I saw you were having material problems in another thread.

For the moment, ignore the material root setting in the Config Floater. Instead, just set the Bin Dir and the Model Root in the config. The button in the config floater for materials is not yet even used for anything--it is for a TGA-to-VTEX.exe export function that isn't yet part of the tool.

The only important thing for materials in the current version is that you set the Material Folder Path in the Export Options Rollout as a relative path starting at the mod's material folder. Click here for the docs on this.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:45 pm

I have updated the tool to Version 0.96 released on 01-01-2011

•Added Texture Export functionality in the Utilities Rollout. Note the use is not well documented yet, including the setup of the exporter.
•Fixed bug in Tool Config for setting the material export path. Note that the feature was not being used previously, but setting the Material Directory in settings would override the model export path settings. This is now fixed.
•Added $shadowlod checkbox to export options rollout. When added and there are LODs, the tool uses the lowest level LOD as the shadow lod.

Please note that I didn't have time to add a lot to the texture compiling docs but there are some at http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/ ... ities.html . Make sure to set up the tool's Bin Dir and Material Export Path in the Configure Tool floater... and Steam needs to be running.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I've updated the tool today. Among the changes is the ability to compile your model's materials into VTFs. It will use Diffuse, Specular, Ambient, Bump/Displacement and Self-Illumination maps of the Standard Material.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:06 pm

I tested the tool in Max 2010 last night. It works as expected. I'm now reinstalling Max 2008 to get it to work back that far (I've gotten emails for 2008/2009 users that say it won't run in those versions). 2008 is as far back as I will be able to go.

PS. I've started working on a 2d skymap exporter for 3ds (to quickly export cubemaps straight from 3ds to VTFs) as well as a displacement generator (convert meshes in 3ds to VMF displacements).
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:32 pm

Version 0.98 released on 01-07-2011

•Added support for 3ds Max 2008+. Before this update, the tool would not work in version 2008 or 2009.
•Fixed bug to the Pick LOD buttons. They were broken in the 0.95 update.
•Changed the way that the Texture Exporter utility works. The tool will now always run the VTF texture compiler when you run the Export Textures utility.
•Renamed the Configure Tool button to Settings

The remainder of work left on the tool is error checking, ui improvements and testing (and the collision hull generator). I am hopeful that the changes I made for the tool to accomodate Max 2008 will also make it work in older versions. If you have an older version and it works, please let me know.

Like always, I have appreciated all input in these and and other forums, as well as email. Please let me know how it is working for you!
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby StefanC19 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:53 pm

ur shitting me right ? I thought source didn't support a Specular map :O I knew it supported normal maps even though they appear quite weak cause of sources shitty lighting but I went through the list with what sources material supports, I never saw specular in there :O oh and btw ur tool is pure win ;)
StefanC19
Regular
Regular

Postby Groxkiller585 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:25 am

StefanC19 wrote:ur shitting me right ? I thought source didn't support a Specular map :O I knew it supported normal maps even though they appear quite weak cause of sources shitty lighting but I went through the list with what sources material supports, I never saw specular in there :O oh and btw ur tool is pure win ;)

It supports specular, in a few ways:

1. embedded alpha of base texture ($basealphaenvmapmask)

2. Embedded alpha of the normalmap ($normalmapalphaenvmapmask)

3. Dedicated specular mask ($envmapmask)

For it to work in your map add env_cubemap to your map.
I have had the most promising results with the first, working but sometimes poorer quality with the second, and the third has never worked for me.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby shawnolson on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 am

StefanC19 wrote:ur shitting me right ? I thought source didn't support a Specular map :O I knew it supported normal maps even though they appear quite weak cause of sources shitty lighting but I went through the list with what sources material supports, I never saw specular in there :O oh and btw ur tool is pure win ;)

Exactly how well it works in all situations is up to testing (as noted by Groxkiller). One thing to note is that it won't work if there is also a $bumpmap ( http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/$envmapmask )

The exact maps that I used in the texture exporter were just those that made sense to me when I was putting it together. If there are some better suggestions, please let me know. I don't expect it to be an all-purpose texture exporter... but to get the textures started at least and let you see the model with textures in-game quickly.

PS. I added docs on the built-in vtf exporter at http://wallworm.com/projects/utilities/ ... tures.html .
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby marks on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:56 am

Groxkiller585 wrote:It supports specular, in a few ways:

I have had the most promising results with the first, working but sometimes poorer quality with the second, and the third has never worked for me.

You're doing something wrong then, the only thing those parameters change is the location the engine loads the texture from. They should all look exactly the same (and have always have done for me).
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby shawnolson on Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:54 pm

shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:38 am

Awesome tool! I love it.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Sathor on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 am

marks wrote:
Groxkiller585 wrote:It supports specular, in a few ways:

You're doing something wrong then, the only thing those parameters change is the location the engine loads the texture from. They should all look exactly the same (and have always have done for me).

marks is right, there is no difference at all. The $normalmapalphaenvmask NEEDS to be used if you have a normal map (afaik $envmapmask won't work then). If you don't have a normal map, $envmapmask is the logical choice (since I'd reserve alpha channel for transculent or glow.
Sathor

Postby sixpakken on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks alot for this fine Tool :) love it
Light travels faster than sound, that is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
sixpakken
Regular
Regular

Postby Juice on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 am

This is a great help. This really speeds up my workflow
Juice

Postby Jordash on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:00 am

Fantastic stuff, thank you!
Jordash
Been Here A While