Viewmodel compile issues

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Viewmodel compile issues

Postby serpent on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:10 am

Hey Guys,

Im trying to make my first weapon for the source engine, im starting off with a crappy rolling pin for left 4 dead 2, just so i can learn the method really.

got the world model working fine, seems to be in the right place in the hand and the animations are working.

the view model im having little to no luck with, i keep getting the same problems

- weapon is invisible
- player hands arent attached to body (stay where player spawned)
- players view slowly starts rotating to a wierd angle

also i can never seem to open weapon models in HLMV (Error loading model message)
which is strange because even though i get that, the world model works without problems

Can anyone shed some light on whats going on?
serpent

Re: Viewmodel compile issues

Postby serpent on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:30 pm

ive fixed the camera view rotation by changing the rotate angle for the
ValveBiped.attach_camera attachment in the QC to 90 90 0

And ive managed to get my weapon to show first person in the game, putting it simple, the cannon fodder decompilers (any version) would not decompile any of the bones correctly (they would be squished and distorted), using the decompiler in cannon fodders Studio Compiler, i decompiled all the models correctly and using that as a base with a quick model swap i have my model showing in 1st person

so the only issue left is that the arms are not sticking to the camera, they only stay at spawn, also the bones dont exactly resemble a correct upper body in HLMV so im guessing theres still something to figure out.
serpent

Postby Black_Stormy on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:57 pm

You have most of the weapon source files in your steam/steamapps/username/sourcesdk_content/models/weapons folder. There's not much need to decompile any weapons since you can easily change animations when you recompile the source files. I can't imagine why your arms aren't staying with the camera, it sounds like you're compiling it as a world model, in which case I don't think you'll have much luck with sticking them to the camera. The reference .smd's from the sourcesdk_content folder all have the arms rigged to the same armature as the weapon so if your weapon is sticking to the viewport but your arms are not then I would look at the rigging. What program are you using for modelling?

Also use the .qc files in the sourcesdk_content folder, there are a few things that you might not pick up on otherwise.
Black_Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby serpent on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 pm

I managed to figure everything out with a bit of perseverance

yeah i know theres a few decompiled stuff like the Hl2 crowbar, but theres no decompiled weapons for left 4 dead 2 and i figure they would be using different bones and animations.

anyway my entire issue was the fact i wasent defining and attaching the bones in my QC file

i did that and everything works a treat!
serpent

Return to Art Creation