Messed up Model

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Messed up Model

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 am

Hello the Interlopers. So I've been working on a simple prop for a CS:GO map in Blender and it does some crazy magic that I don't want it to, where you can see further away bits of the model through closer bits. It's difficult to explain, so I'll draw you a picture:

As you can see, there's some mental MC Escher shit going on!

At first I thought it must be something to do with the direction of the normals, but I've recalculated and flipped them in Blender a number of times to no avail. Then I thought maybe it was because I hadn't sealed off bits of the mesh, so I tried that but it's still screwed up. The only other thing I could think to do was turn no cull on in the texture, but that was also a failure.

Anybody had this before and managed to fix it? Is there something incredibly obvious that I'm missing (hint: there probably is)?
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Re: Messed up Model

Postby Armageddon on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:52 am

This is a source problem with transparency. Basically you need to make two differeent textures for your model, one the grate and the other the rest of the shopping cart. And instead of using $transparency use $alphatest on the grate texture.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Messed up Model

Postby Text_Fish on Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Excellent solution, thanks Arma!

Now I understand why all of Valve's vehicles have separate windows.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Art Creation