Problem with leafs texture

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Problem with leafs texture

Postby limp on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I try to make a scots pine tree to my mod for hl2 and i have problem with leafs texture.

I dont know why shadows looks cuted. Its not smooth like it want to be. Someone can help me with it?
limp

Re: Problem with leafs texture

Postby Gambini on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:08 pm

If you cross faces like that I´d suggest not to use $nocull and isntead duplicate the leaves polygons then invert normals. That happens because some faces face the ambient light while others don´t. So you get bright and dark faces that mixup thanks to using nocull. This is, basically, because the backface of a nocull polygon retains the front face´s lighting.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby limp on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Hmm but when I set nocull to 0 the problem dosent disappear and is now less leafs.
limp

Postby Dr. Delta on Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:31 pm

limp wrote:Hmm but when I set nocull to 0 the problem dosent disappear and is now less leafs.

You should see as many leaves after you duplicated all leaves, and inverted the normal for those duplicated leaves.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby limp on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:02 am

Dr. Delta wrote:
limp wrote:Hmm but when I set nocull to 0 the problem dosent disappear and is now less leafs.

Could you explain it to me clearly? Im newbe in 3d graphic. I learn blender only for make this f**** tree :)
limp

Postby Gambini on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:00 pm

the nocull parameter means that faces are rendered in the front and in the back. If your model is a ball, it´d be stupid to use nocull because the inside of the ball would be textured too, which is unnecesary. But for fences, trees and other things like canvas maybe, nocull allows you to save polygons by making each face using that material to render both sides. The downside of this is that the backface will be as bright as the front face. So if you, for example, create a canvas roof and use nocull on it, if the normal aims to the sky then when looking at it from the bottom it´d be lit too. It is better for your situation to make two paralell polygons aiming to opposite directions than to use one with nocull. What you should do now is first remove or comment (adding two // at the beginning of the parameter) the line that reads nocull, then go to your modelling program select all leaves polygons, duplicate them and then invert the normals of the new generated polygons.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Art Creation