Baking directional lighting in Blender?

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Baking directional lighting in Blender?

Postby shadowmancer471 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey, so I'm editing a DOTA 2 model, a missile
Notice how it's lit at the top and bottom to give it a stronger gradient in lighting, meaning ingame it appears more vibrant and colourful

Here's my missile (WIP, I know about the black blotch at the strap).
Is there a way to put a couple of lights in the scene, rig up my colour texture and bake out a copy of my diffuse but with lighting info (making it look more like the first missile)?
I tried to bake shadows, but this resulted in some pretty bad results, very patchy and glitchy, and only having pure whites and blacks (not keeping and information from my diffuse)
I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Re: Baking directional lighting in Blender?

Postby Stormy on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:25 pm

You'll want to bake "full render". That will bake the scene lighting plus AO, and give you a nicely finished image to overlay on your texture. I think this only bakes information from point lights though.

Once you get the image baked out, save it out by hovering your cursor over the UV image viewer viewport and hitting F3, then drop it into your texturing program and set the layer mode to 'multiply'.

Actually if you have your materials set up right blender will do that last bit for you and pop out a fully ready diffuse image but that's more steps than I can be assed typing right now.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby shadowmancer471 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:53 pm

This was just what I needed, thanks.
I'm deleting the blacks with colour to alpha, then overlaying with soft light rather than multiply (as to just leave the highlights and not darken the diffuse), but this is looking better already.

I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:42 pm

You can also bake a object space normal, and derive lighting from either the Green or Red channel.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Return to Art Creation