Porting Source Engine maps to UDK

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

Porting Source Engine maps to UDK

Postby Bioko on Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi everyone ! Would porting Source Engine maps to UDK is possible ? Because I'd like to port my mods to the UDK :-D

Thanks
Bioko

Re: Porting Source Engine maps to UDK

Postby kraid on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:29 pm

I wouldn't say it's impossible, it just depends on how much effort you're willing to put into this.

Source and UDK are very different in many things.
Ofc. you can bring your models and textures to UDK if you are able to bring them into a importable file format (e.g. ase, dae, fbx or psk for 3D files and tga, psd, bmp, pcx for textures).

As for maps and coding, i'm affraid you'll have to start from scratch.

Maybe you're able to turn some of your Hammer brushwork details into models too because UDK is much more model based and far less brushwork oriented then source.

You could even export the whole map to dxf, open it up in your 3D app. clean up and delete all the junk e.g. nodraw brushes/faces and export the whole thing as a model to UDK. (or split it into several models)
Either build a new collision mesh for it or simply enable vertex collision for the model.
(however i'd recomend the first option for the sake of performance)
The most time consuming part on this might be the UV mapping, just in case you'll need textures and lightmapping on the model(s) too.

As for coding, i guess if you're able to code for Source in C++, UnrealScript will be a piece of cake for you.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:41 pm

The easiest way to do this would be to recreate the map from scratch. The method of mapping that UDK uses versus Valve's BSP style mapping means that you need to approach the two engines differently.

The best solution, if you absolutely MUST port the map over quickly, would be to open the source map and export it to a OBJ file and then import it into a 3d modeling program of your choice. Fix any unnecessary faces and Unwrap UVW so you can have looping textures. You would then have to export it so there's multiple material channels available once inside UDK. Once in UDK, you would need to reapply textures and make your own materials (I'd recommend using a Material Instance to reduce cost.)

Honestly, I would import it into a 3d modeling program and then recreate the entire map in 3ds max only using the obj to get the proper layout. This allows for more complex geometry and allows you to design things that use the Unreal Engine to its full potential. Also allows you to make a modular set of pieces which you can arrange in UDK in whatever way you desire.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:01 am

To add to what YokaI said, the tool used for exporting vmf to obj is called Crafty.
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?c=272#p272
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Kosire on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Or export it as .dxf which is built-in in Hammer.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby cashed on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 pm

ya export dxf, bring it into max, remove unwanted objects, export to udk and use it as a tracer
cashed
Regular
Regular

Postby Garrador on Mon May 21, 2012 6:57 am

Exporting the DXF from hamme and into MAX works, yes, but is exceptionally messy. You have to go in and remove all faces that are hidden, that would otherwise be automatically be ignored by source. You're much better off exporting the DXF and use it as a template. Also, having one large model as the entire map is obviously retarded.

As cashed said, you can also import the whole thing and build on top of it to get the desired layout in UDK. Just don't build too much detailed work (things that would be func_detail in source) as building blocks in UDK, as the desired workflow is base layout with bsp and details with meshes.

There are a lot of articles about this workflow, especially on Epic's own wiki.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby atrblizzard on Sat May 25, 2013 11:16 am

I'd suggest you to install Maya instead and use the Maya plugins within Source Filmmaker, although I am unsure if Source SDK or L4D2 Authoring Tools comes with the latest Maya plugins. Make sure you have the 32-bit version installed since the plugins are only compatible with that.

It enables you to import VMFs while leaving you the option to import models, import textures, wrap UVs, import dev textures (not importing that will render nodraw textures as a removed face within the mesh), lights and more.

If you import the models within the map, it will import them from MDLs into the scene which can be used either for reference or for other purposes.

Just remember, always combine all meshes into an object, else you'll encounter problems with UV maps within UDK or UnrealEd.
atrblizzard

Postby ScarT on Sun May 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Only a one year bump :)
ScarT

Postby DonPunch on Mon May 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Probably the most asked question though for people moving from source to UDK. It's the last gasp of air in their lungs trying to hold on to bsp mapping.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gary on Mon May 27, 2013 4:30 pm

It was a useful bump; it added possible solutions and suggestions. So if someone happens to search for it. They might get an answer and not have to ask it again.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to UnrealEd Help