Modifying HL2

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Modifying HL2

Postby swej on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:36 pm

There are games like racing and puzzles that change the entire half life 2 interface. Do people change the script or do they change the source code of the engine?
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:13 pm

both. But this isnt web design and coding :P
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mr. Happy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:20 pm

You cannot change the source code of the engine, only the source code of the game.

They change everything from source code to scripts to materials to maps to models to everything.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby swej on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:36 pm

sorry, haven't logged in here for a while. I didn't look further down the list for the correct forum.
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby swej on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Okay, now that this is in the correct forum; Do I have to extract files out of the hidden source files to edit the game source? Or is there something else I need to do. I want to do a "full conversion" of half-life 2 but 100% willing to take 3-4 years with the mod. I'm a newbie coder/mapper so I have a long way to go. But I plan to learn as i go. I'm not new to HL2 though, I've been playing half life and counterstrike since 1999/2000. I've been on and off mapping since 2003 and i have a limited knowledge of visual c++. I'm reading out of a few books right now and I'm in school for engineering.
Anyway, I'm a huge fan of GHII/GHIII/rockband. I play frets on fire and freetar hero but they are terrible to make custom songs with. I love making custom songs and the source engine is extremely reliable. Although it's hard to learn. So i'm not making an intense shooter with all new stuff. I'm making something simple that is what I want it to be. And I don't care if it takes me 3-4 years to finish. Any feedback would be nice.
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby jister on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:50 pm

swej wrote:Okay, now that this is in the correct forum; Do I have to extract files out of the hidden source files to edit the game source? Or is there something else I need to do. I want to do a "full conversion" of half-life 2 but 100% willing to take 3-4 years with the mod. I'm a newbie coder/mapper so I have a long way to go. But I plan to learn as i go. I'm not new to HL2 though, I've been playing half life and counterstrike since 1999/2000. I've been on and off mapping since 2003 and i have a limited knowledge of visual c++. I'm reading out of a few books right now and I'm in school for engineering.
Anyway, I'm a huge fan of GHII/GHIII/rockband. I play frets on fire and freetar hero but they are terrible to make custom songs with. I love making custom songs and the source engine is extremely reliable. Although it's hard to learn. So i'm not making an intense shooter with all new stuff. I'm making something simple that is what I want it to be. And I don't care if it takes me 3-4 years to finish. Any feedback would be nice.

so you are making what exactly?? :?
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby swej on Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:55 pm

a guitar hero type game following the frets on fire style. But the reason i'm modding it is to make writing songs easier.
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby jister on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm

swej wrote:a guitar hero type game following the frets on fire style. But the reason i'm modding it is to make writing songs easier.

WOOT! I like!!! do you play guitar, couse i sure do hehehe :wink:
check out my band http://www.elguapostuntteam.be or http://www.myspace.com/elguapostuntteam

ok enough spam... I'm at your disposal for help! dunno much bout coding but since i like your idea that much, i'll help you look for answers. first clear up some things!
1 "... Do i have to extract files out of the hidden source files..." you mean; there are source files you cannot access, or are not visible to you? or you mean ripping files from the mod "Hidden" (which i don't think so because is totally different from what you wanna achieve!)
2 could you explain your game play goals a bit more detailed, i'll check out that freetar game and stuff to see what you're talking bout.

so if i get it right you wanna make a kind of music editor with source, visually based playing around with
midi files?
lemme know if you need any help (you can pm me on this site)
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby swej on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:56 pm

First off, what makes my idea different from the other games is the use of star power. I want the combos to earn you multipliers added in at the end of the song. Also, I want a star power that can make your notes easier to play(but giving you less points). I just want my game to be a little different for all intensive purposes. ANYWAY
Second off, what makes my "song creation" different from the rest is that I will show the actual wave lengths parallel with the notes so the user can have a VISUAL of the song. It helps to use your senses of sight and sound to find how a song should be played. not to mention IT DRIVES ME CRAZY when a band records a song that isn't played with a metronome. SO to cope with that, I want there to be an option to change the tempo of the note rhythm at any point to keep the notes exact. I've given up on so many songs because the tempo changes by 3-5 beats per minutes. ANYWAY

My real question is source is kept in "packages" that are hidden. Do I have to edit the files within those hidden packages?
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby swej on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:29 am

nevermind i found everything i need by doing the "mod" wizard thing in the sdk.
swej
Regular
Regular

Postby jister on Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:44 am

swej wrote:First off, what makes my idea different from the other games is the use of star power. I want the combos to earn you multipliers added in at the end of the song. Also, I want a star power that can make your notes easier to play(but giving you less points). I just want my game to be a little different for all intensive purposes. ANYWAY
Second off, what makes my "song creation" different from the rest is that I will show the actual wave lengths parallel with the notes so the user can have a VISUAL of the song. It helps to use your senses of sight and sound to find how a song should be played. not to mention IT DRIVES ME CRAZY when a band records a song that isn't played with a metronome. SO to cope with that, I want there to be an option to change the tempo of the note rhythm at any point to keep the notes exact. I've given up on so many songs because the tempo changes by 3-5 beats per minutes. ANYWAY

My real question is source is kept in "packages" that are hidden. Do I have to edit the files within those hidden packages?

man i got a hard time reading this stuff let alone make some sense out of it...
and well sounds like you want i kind of push the right button at the right time kinda kids game? right? sorry i never played guitar hero and stuff like that.
i would be cool if you made a "learn how to play guitar" game fo'reel.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby swej on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 pm

for those of you who don't know guitar hero.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZutgOyA9EY
swej
Regular
Regular

Return to Mod Talk