Half-Life 2: Enhancement Mod

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: Half-Life 2: Enhancement Mod

Postby Epifire on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:25 am

Plague wrote:This is hardly the state of any project where you begin casting judgement, let alone nitpicking about details.

Focus on the first portion of HL2 up to the train station entrance(before the plaza), then make a fancy video showing what you changed and then make it a larger media release.

All you're gonna get here is critique on what you post, so get something done and show it off for more effective responses.

Agreed. More to the point I think the half done media releases or early WIP shots are kinda the wrong way of going about it. Media is nice but when asking or posting on things that have very little change, it tends to bring the wrong point across. What interests people the most is how different this enhancement is from their existing version? While I do think getting critiques on redoing the NPCs/guns and items is a good thing to ask lots of opinions on, I think just working steadily and posting completion shots is a better way of going about it. Then when you have what you consider to be your best submit it and see what people think. You are not building a new game, only refreshing/modernizing an older one so I think there is less input constantly needed along the way.

So all I can say is if you guys got, "a lot more to do on certain areas" then just get it done and then show us your idea of how you want to leave the place when shipped. I think think that would be reasonable and viewers would be more apt to have a more clear interpretation on where you are headed with things. This way people wont be zoomed in on a smaller incomplete portion but they will rather be zoomed out to see the full picture of what you plan to throw at them.
Epifire

Postby Major Banter on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Hollow wrote:Thanks for the supportive words, but the whole pro level designer thing isn't something I like using when providing criticism and I don't really think my opinion is any better than the next (may come from a more experienced standpoint though I guess).

Fair point humbly made Arran. The weight of the point was on the fact that yes, you're significantly more experienced because you'll have worked in a team of artists in a studio that actually ships a product - if anyone knows about design, it's a professional. Which happens to be you! Apologies if it came off in a cunty fashion.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:59 pm

Haha no it didn't. It's just yeah I like to be as humble as I can.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Plague on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:41 pm

Hollow wrote:Haha no it didn't. It's just yeah I like to be as humble as I can.

15/10
Would hire all night.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hollow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:52 pm

Can I hire you for a night Nick? <3
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Plague on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 pm

100% discount 4 u <3
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Okay guys, stay on topic now...
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 am

Yeah I am kind of feeling the same as hollow and the others here. I've been following the much more active thread on facepunch and I can honestly say revamping HL2 is sort of a weird thing to do.

I spent a lot of time myself doing that with C17, and in the end I struggled heavily with pushing Source 2007 into areas it wasn't designed to go. I understand you guys are on ASW now which is great. Visually I am glad you guys aren't going the fakefactory route.

The important thing I would like to add though is that ultimately (as others have stated) you are visually revamping an old game that a lot of people have replayed quite a bit, and it's not this giant leap in visual fidelity like Black Mesa Source was. Even then a team of 7+ took almost 1000 years to finally finish that mod. The great thing though is that this is going to teach you guys a bunch of stuff in making things look nice, making it run well, and probably some HLSL if you really get into it.

However that being said, I wouldn't feel bad if you guys just up and quit. Working in the HL2 space for a long time can be quite detrimental and I'm sure you'll want to go off and make something original.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby LordDz on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am

Just to jump on the bandwagon here while I have the chance.
I understand the joy of creating your own mod, but why not join an already alive mod? I know there are bunch of mods from all qualities out there that crave for good texture/effect artists.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby episoder on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

yo greetz. since facepunch is closed let me popup here. great work so far, guys. still have complains and some ideas.

you gonna reskin the clothes too? and could you reskin alyx alil? she still got bugs in the face. old blurry areas. her mouth doesn't align to the mesh. the color don't match at the neck area. and the eye color is bogus. i'm trying to rework the whole model myself, but i'm slow, nothing done yet, but i would drop it somewhere when it is.

and hey. just got some nice idea for decals. minor detail but cool kinda. could you make different impact decals for the different weapons and material combinations? i saw that issue talk on the combine glass on facepunch. i mean it's bullet proof. just fill the hole with the bullet metal. and come on... the crowbar leaves a thin rectangular shape. same as the pulse rifle doesn't really shoot bullets. it's probably just leaving basicly just burn marks on surfaces.

rather complicated question. is there a deposit where i can grab the ported code. i'm rather bad at coding/porting but i would try to mess with the lighting and illumination things
episoder
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:14 pm

-1 faith on my end
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stiffy360 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm

We are trying to keep as much of HL2's style as we can. All this mod is doing is revamping textures, making the models better, having better shaders, and making HL2 as enjoyable of an experience as possible, as well as moving onto the alien swarm engine, and perhaps dynamic lighting. If we revamp it too much, We'll end up With Cinematic Mod the second, and we all know how the FIRST came out.

HL2 was a great game, and it's style was amazing. Sure there are engine limitations, but I've seen amazing things done on source. Not to mention, we are also adding old enemies from HL1 like houndeyes.
Stiffy360

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:38 pm

Well Half Life 2 is an already enjoyable experience. I don't think shaders and revamped textures are going to really make it any funner. The novelty of that will wear off fast as the player progresses through hl2.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Porky-da-Corgi on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:40 pm

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:Well Half Life 2 is an already enjoyable experience. I don't think shaders and revamped textures are going to really make it any funner. The novelty of that will wear off fast as the player progresses through hl2.

Exactly, which is why it's not the exact same experience.
Porky-da-Corgi -from the OP wrote:• Put in more secret areas.
• Add new enemies, such as Bullsquids and Houndeyes. (These will only be in select areas, or new optional areas in the game).
• Improving enemy AI (already done thanks to the engine port!).
• Adding in more H.E.V. suit sounds like in HL1. Eg: if you got hit in HL1 it would say "Minor lacerations detected, morphine administered", where as in HL2 it won't say anything.
• An Enhanced HL2: Death Match- this will have an open beta, once VALVe converts the game to VPK format so we can mount it, and be a sort of 'glimpse' of the mod.
• Full body awareness, similar to that of Dark Messiah: Might and Magic.

Also, you people who say 'no one will play this because it's just HL2 again', there's already a lot of people who want to play this, believe it or not.
Porky-da-Corgi

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:59 pm

and more power to you. this project seems like it is going to be epic.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Talk