Transferring from 2007 to ASW?

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: Transferring from 2007 to ASW?

Postby Armageddon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Release the code please it would help many people. :)
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ScarT on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:33 pm

It's something we're considering. There are a lot of bugs to iron out though, so it won't happen until we're satisfied.
ScarT

Postby Major Banter on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm

ScarT wrote:It's something we're considering. There are a lot of bugs to iron out though, so it won't happen until we're satisfied.

I've heard that before from developers and modders alike. Generally means it isn't going to be released.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm

That gives me a sad... :(
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:04 pm

ScarT wrote:It's something we're considering. There are a lot of bugs to iron out though, so it won't happen until we're satisfied.

forget about bugs, throw out whatever you guys have that's not directly tied to the mod and let the community handle it.
No strings plus some good karma.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ken Chan on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:51 am

I already modding HL2 in Alien Swarm Engine for about a year now. I'm petty satisfied with my code base, but there's a some flaws that you'll need to consider before switching:

1. Models. Most of the NPC models doesn't work until you recompile them(It's lucky that Valve released SFM with updated HL2 Base content when I need the models most), Also small physics props will disappear in the game(Like popcan), It seems to be a engine bug in Alien Swarm, because the model works in other new engine branch games like Portal 2.

2. Mounting. Alien Swarm cannot mount GCFs via adding appid in gameinfo.txt anymore, if you want to use content from HL2, you'll need to extract them. But newer games like Portal 2 can be mounted via adding SearchPath correctly.

3. Patience. Alien Swarm maybe is the most crashy engine during development, and most of the matchmaking stuff still using asw_* prefix and you can't avoid them(But I don't think that's a problem).

Here's almost all of my comments, if you need any help you can always contact me via Steam.
Also check out my YouTube channel for the gameplay for HL2 running in Alien Swarm Engine.
Ken Chan
Regular
Regular

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 am

It's 100% less crashy, not sure why it's the other way around for you Ken.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Epifire on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:21 pm

After considering our options we have decided to stick with 2007 for what it's worth now. I see that the ASW can work really well when applied correctly but so far with only one programmer it isn't logical to spend so much of our time working out bugs in a new engine when we can just try and upgrade and work in the one we have now.

I would feel differently were we just starting a new mod that had nothing to do with HL 2, but the point that is made clear now is I don't have the kind of resources the C17 team does and can't afford to push us back on time again. So I do thank you all for responding to my question here it really has been much appreciated.
Epifire

Postby Ken Chan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Have some good news today, with Steve's help, I've fixed the bug that make physics props disappear, means almost all major errors is fixed :P
Seems my interest modding using Alien Swarm Engine is back because Alien Swarm Engine is just a newer and better engine than 2007, with nearly no setbacks :P
Ken Chan
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Merge this mod with the guys who are doing the rexture work of it?
Better engine + better textures = better overall?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36577
:)
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Ken Chan on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:34 pm

I am the main coder of that mod :P
Ken Chan
Regular
Regular

Postby ScicoPax on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:02 pm

Are you going to release a base mod or something? I am working on a mod and I would love to use the Alien Swarm engine branch.
ScicoPax
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby SM Sith Lord on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Do you have proper vis blocking in the Alien Swarm engine? I've only made 1 test map with it so far, and it required me to make a big box around the whole map which seems like it would destroy vis blocking. Is that an issue when working with this engine branch?
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Sandern on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:48 pm

SM Sith Lord wrote:Do you have proper vis blocking in the Alien Swarm engine? I've only made 1 test map with it so far, and it required me to make a big box around the whole map which seems like it would destroy vis blocking. Is that an issue when working with this engine branch?

No, it's not an issue. The behavior you are seeing is an optional argument to vbsp "-alldetail".
Sandern
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Sandern wrote:No, it's not an issue. The behavior you are seeing is an optional argument to vbsp "-alldetail".

Thank you. Must have got excited and wondered off before I got to that part of the tutorial. :)
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Mod Talk