Transferring from 2007 to ASW?

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Transferring from 2007 to ASW?

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:07 pm

There has been a lot of discussion within the team on the Ravenholm project regarding engine differences on 2007 and the ASW. We have been wanting to switch from one to the other mainly on behalf of superior lighting and fast pathing, and we just wanted to get a good idea on what the move would entail?

Our 2007 version has some custom code for view sway and while it would have been better to establish this move early on, we are at a crossroads and sort of a revise stage so that is why it was brought up again. We know there are some big changes that would have to made between assets, entities, code references to who knows what else the coder would have to deal with. So our questions reach out to the mods that have already made the transition from a native HL 2 engine to the ASW.

Things like the pros and cons of moving over, to what could make the move easier or harder? Initially it would be nice to use some sort of template that could help this process along but I doubt to find that, so we are asking the people that have made the move what they could advice? We could really use the help so any comments or advice would be awesome right now, so thanks in advance.
Epifire

Re: Transferring from 2007 to ASW?

Postby Armageddon on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:13 pm

This is all very easy to google and there have been tons of threads like this on here before.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Armageddon wrote:This is all very easy to google and there have been tons of threads like this on here before.

Yes Arma I already know this, I want to hear the personal opinion of people that have done this cause I know they roam around here.
Epifire

Postby Armageddon on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 pm

I've tried a few times, it's not advisable, I know others that have tried and quit because the biggest issue is porting the AI along with weapons. I'd just stick with HL2, you're not gaining anything more from ASW. All you gain is a newer shader model but you lose VGUI and proper player physics. It's a waste of time ESPECIALLY for a HL2 themed mod. If you were going for a total conversion then it would be different.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:03 am

when you say superior lighting, i mean your mod is ravenholm. how superior do you really need it to be? i think you would have a lot to gain from going for Gary's projected textures (found in VDC) and the rest should fall into place. it is a matter of being creative with the tools you have. you have been making decent headway in the current engine, why stumble over such an enourmous hurdle as switching to ASW...
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:24 am

One of the few people who have done this should really release their codebase. Steve and I(mostly him) ported the entire HL2/2007 game code over to ASW, we had planned on releasing, but never did. There was also a few others who have done it. It's basically just including files and going one by one fixing simple problems. Some functions' names have changed, some take different arguments, etc. All simple things really, just time consuming. I was actually trying to do it again on my own(and also release it), but got bored.

I could see how this could benefit your mod if you want lots of zombies and nice dynamic lighting. As the ASW engine has the model fast path which makes a lot of models extremely cheap. And the shadow mapping isn't absolute shit like it is in src2007, though it's still not all that great. But it's up to you guys if it's worth it, if you got a spare programmer, that could just focus his time on this, then I would say go for it(and release the damn base!).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 am

Gary wrote:But it's up to you guys if it's worth it, if you got a spare programmer, that could just focus his time on this, then I would say go for it(and release the damn base!).

Currently we only have one and hes pretty set with staying in our current version unless I ended up finding a way we could achieve the mod in the ASW. Well at least if I could find out how to port stuff without it costing as much time and effort as we were seeing.
Epifire

Postby Armageddon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:43 am

There's no easier way to port the code. it's a pain and a waste of time for a few more extra dynamic lights.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:17 am

It's mostly going through all the files and replacing the old function/global/etc. names and arguments to the new ones. It's not hard as much as it is repetitive and time consuming.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 am

Gary wrote:(and release the damn base!).

yeah gary, release the damn base

btw not to hijack this thread but i have been eager to get back on the job with 99b, that's just an fyi to you :)
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 am

Crap! I forgot completely that this was a huge pain in the ass! The code wasn't too bad, but we had to constantly recompile models for them spawn or so they wouldn't crash the engine!

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Epifire on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 am

Gary wrote:Crap! I forgot completely that this was a huge pain in the ass! The code wasn't too bad, but we had to constantly recompile models for them spawn or so they wouldn't crash the engine!

A bit more convinced to stay with 2007 now, but just out of curiosity what was making the models crash the engine?
Epifire

Postby ScarT on Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am

Shared animations, or virtual models as they're called in the code.

Armageddon wrote:I've tried a few times, it's not advisable, I know others that have tried and quit because the biggest issue is porting the AI along with weapons. I'd just stick with HL2, you're not gaining anything more from ASW. All you gain is a newer shader model but you lose VGUI and proper player physics. It's a waste of time ESPECIALLY for a HL2 themed mod. If you were going for a total conversion then it would be different.

VGUI is easily recoverable if you want it. Proper player physics? I doubt there's anything different in terms of the physics engine? It might have turbo-physics enabled by default but you'll be able to disable that.

We've ported Missing Information to ASW but we grew tired of Source so we never really finished it.
ScarT

Postby Armageddon on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:02 pm

I you're never going to use it ScarT.
Gary wrote:(and release the damn base!).
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ScarT on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Come again please :O?
ScarT

Next

Return to Mod Talk