The Contract

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: The Contract

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:I agree with stoop. Also why are we attacking this guy? If he wants to go and make a game, let him, regardless of if he fails at it or not. Anyone thinking of joining can tell if he's professional or not and quit if they don't like it.

this

I like their site though:
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Whipper on Sun May 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello, just thought id post my thought's on this...

Postby Black_Stormy on Wed May 22, 2013 4:18 am
PlagueOfBuria for post of the year 2013 get your votes in

lol he's got my vote... also PlagueOfBuria i would love to see more real life inspiration pics from you & if you would like a load of gathered blender modeling & texture work readables add me on steam ({BB}Whipper_snapper89) more than happy to help...

as for the overall thread:IMO...Getting a team together and creating 100% new materials,coding,models ect is a hell of alotta work and i can understand why Black_stormy has mentiond what he has,in no way is environment,3d art or texture work a quick process in the gaming world, to say a silly thing like that does show lack of knowledge but then i am not sayn there isnt alot of great talented folk out there that are good and work fast at what they do but for these folk they would already know and upon looking at the criteria have there own critz on the subject whether they want to be apart or not.... When working with a team and communicating via the interweb life and other matters can get in the way for for us all and that can involve alot of communication breakdown's (always keep that in mind)...
(imo)every team need's an idea guy and from there it is down to the team as a whole to regard/disregard these ideas but keep in mind there is always limits and it is part of any team to discuss this between them self's and learn from there failures or triumphs.
With the right team (even if all are dreamers) anything is possible and i hope the project and main man in question takes on board all these critz whether positive or negative

Cheers
Whipper
Whipper

Postby Jeeves on Sun May 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Yo Stormy, I'm in, lets get a pool going. $10 US it lasts longer than you reckon. Anyone else?.

Rules : If they don't update for 6 months they dead?. :smt064
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Sun May 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Let's make it interesting, you have to send your bet, in cash, in your own currency, through the post, to the winner. I'll put ten on it. And 6 months no update, the last post counts as when it failed - this includes their blog, moddb and indiedb. Forum posts don't count.

Also whipper, ideas guys are good for the start of a project, but they should be milked dry and discarded as soon as possible, and from there the team does work without having to deal with him at all.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jeeves on Sun May 26, 2013 10:20 pm

Black_Stormy wrote: I'm calling it. I give them 9 months to the day. 18th of Feb 2014

And I reckon N > 18/02/14. N = Date of Failure.

Black_Stormy wrote:Let's make it interesting, you have to send your bet, in cash, in your own currency, through the post, to the winner. I'll put ten on it. And 6 months no update, the last post counts as when it failed - this includes their blog, moddb and indiedb. Forum posts don't count.

Agreed. Though I'm well aware of the value of the Aussie Dollar vs the GBP , whadaya tryna do, con me? ;-) , I kid, I kid..

* Anyone else?, last chance to get a pool going, could be very interesting if enough people got in....
Undue Punishment : 'An experimental FP Fighting game with stealth elements. ' -- TBD
Torn : 'A First Person RTS ' -- In Development as of 03/2014
Jeeves
Regular
Regular

Postby MrBlackspoon on Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Better keep an eye on their greenlight page also.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Garrador on Mon May 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Isn't this getting close to pure net-harassment / mockery? Kinda distasteful. Quite a few aims too high, but that's a learning curve.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

Garrador wrote:Isn't this getting close to pure net-harassment / mockery?

That's why I posted my rant here and not on their forums. We're not rubbing it in his face, we're having our own fun with it. Enough of your high horsery.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Garrador on Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Thats kinda retarded, but ok. Do have fun.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jim_Partridge on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:09 pm

I had a rant at this guy over on the steam sdk discussions board asking him why whe needed a team of 20 people when he didn't even have a working alpha version of the gameplay.

Like Dreamworld, this mod / game will never produce any playable content. They appear to have forgotten to design an actual game like most failmods. That's what really annoys me, art, music, story, these are the things fail mods focus on and never consider actually designing a core game.
Jim_Partridge

Postby Armageddon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:21 am

It was called Mindsworld not Dreamworld. :)
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah I'm always a little sad when I think about Mindworld. I think it had a lot of backing potential but it just goes to show that potential isn't the only thing to see a mod through. So many mods fail just on the basis that the core team doesn't have a grip on moving things along in a reasonable fashion.

Someone gets too many far flung ideas and drags it down, or we get those broken record "idea-man" people that love to make impossible gestures for the project. Realizing what your team is capable of and what is reasonable for them is a crucial thing the mod scene commonly overlooks. If The Contract is doomed to failure as many think, then it shall stand as a learning experience for the people involved. Failure when approached with an open mind will only teach the failed what not to do in their next run. This is where a neatly contained college course fails to teach. The people having failed and come back again are the ones who have really learned that.

Knowledge of tools and workflow just come in time of putting it into practice, but knowing how to apply it in a project is a different story. So there is the end of my little rant.
Epifire

Postby Jim_Partridge on Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Oooh yeah that was it, Mindworld.

All good points Epifire but I think its more than that. I think these people always miss the point of what a game actually IS!

I have yet to see one of these mods that had a detailed description of what the actual gameplay entailed. Instead, "its a first person shooter" is used as the description. Even all first person shooters have very different gameplay and each game has its own unique style of play. RAGE is nothing like playing HL2 which is nothing like playing Left 4 Dead and so on...

These ideas guys have no concept of game design, as far as they are concerned, HL2 is just RAGE with a different story and paint job. True mod and games makers know different. I've challenge them on this time and again when they ask to me join their mod teams and they always brush it to the side as if the actual gameplay is something they'll work out later.

Makes me so angry that they waste everyones time with this crap just to boost their own ego as PROJECT LEADER!
Jim_Partridge

Postby kraid on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:34 am

But i don't see the point in beeing angry at them.
Better to try and fail then not to try at all.

Either they learn from that for the next project or they don't and fail again or don't even try anymore.

Nothing is won by discouraging them with destructive attitude.
If you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing at all.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SM Sith Lord on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:45 pm

A degree in Computer Science yet C++ is new to him... this is why I hate my college. So many graduates who can't program.

His mod, on the other hand, looks like its coming along nicely. 13 devs sounds like a pretty massive team for a mod that is just starting out, hope it ends well. Good luck to the devs, work hard. :P
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Talk