The YOUR Mods That Failed Thread!

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Re: The YOUR Mods That Failed Thread!

Postby kraid on Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Great Topic.

Lemme see, what i have on my attic... . Suprisingly not much that i'd call "failed".
The GES Team is still active and working on v4.3 (reminds me that i still need to finish some of my stuff for it).

Project Valkyrie had several releases so i wouldn't call it failed (allthogh i joined them after the last release and the project is on hold now).

One thing that could be considdered a failture is the Metroid Mod i was working on, at least the Source Version.
It made some progress on UDK, but for the more advanced coding stuff it needs someone with better coding skills then me. Sadly the one who coded the morphball is now busy with working on another UDK Game called Recruits.
I'm still doing stuff for the mod once in a while, but it's not top priority right now.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MaK on Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 pm

The un-named Island mod.

Died because of countless reworks of the island layout and a never completed or even understood plot/story.
MaK

Postby Hollow on Mon May 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Ahh the graveyard of past mods. Tis a hallowed place where we formed our beginnings. I have a couple.

DOWNFALL:
Oh yes, my very first mod. Back when I was called 'Chaffing_Weasel' in 2005, and the complete fuckwit type of guy we usually rip on. Oh how it was to be 15/16. It was a typical HL2 mod with a 'alternate' storyline rubbish. I tried to re-boot it back in 2008, but eventually got bored and chucked it. Here's an image:

Steam, Tracks, Trouble & Riddles:
I'm pretty sure this is still being made. I did some music ideas for it, but apart from that, I can't even remember what I contributed...sorry peegee, I was probably very unreliable.

Field Zone:
A shame this never went places. I learnt the most from this project in terms of skillset at the time. Making textures, lighting/ambience etc. Made some music for it as well.
I literally can't find any pics of my work on this at the moment, bahhhh.

Unnamed System Shock style FPS-thing: First real mod idea I led with a level designer I worked with on Forza. Stoop helped out for a bit, then we had ridiculous crunch times to finish Forza Horizon and never got back to it. if we do it will be an indie game with reduced scope...So I'm not saying this is dead yet.

Not anything else worth commenting on really, I lent some work to things here and there. CANVAS can't be included in this since it's on hiatus indefinitely. These days I really have no time for mods unfortunately, working for two companies is pretty time consuming, naturally. But never forget your humble beginnings, for realz. You only get better through recognizing your failures and acting upon them, steadily improving.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby ErikKiller on Mon May 20, 2013 8:29 pm

Heh, I was just thinking that I never worked on any mods, then I realised that for a short-while I worked on:

Tour Black Mesa
Ages ago, when Black Mesa still had a release date, a rag-tag group came together on a forum and thought "what if... you could tour Black Mesa before the disaster?", yes, a totally open-world Black Mesa tour. Boy, was that a project. I worked a bunch on the first Lambda Core elevator bit, c2c5 or something along the lines. Never got any media out as far as I know.

5 Days
A source remake of 5 Days a Stranger adventure game (go play the original now, the whole series is very-VERY well made), however, again, due to lack of interest it never got anywhere despite Yahtzee chiming in. Now that I think about, I never was officially on the team :P
Welp, at one point, don't remember when, I actually started working on a Trilby's Notes Source remake, still have the orange mapped somewhere.

And finally,
Hollow wrote:Steam, Tracks, Trouble & Riddles

Hollow, I think he's still working on the thing.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Stormy on Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Curse you guys and all your releases. I must have terrible judgement. It's great reading about the lopers backstory though.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Tue May 21, 2013 12:00 am

MaK wrote:The un-named Island mod.

*snip*

Died because of countless reworks of the island layout and a never completed or even understood plot/story.

It also died because I was lazy.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Wed May 22, 2013 12:59 am

Interesting reading these. I would be posting some myself but thankfully I am still working on my first and only real mod that I hope will never have to show up in this thread.

I feel like I get a lot of history about the other Lopers here when I read on through all this.
Epifire

Postby marnamai on Wed May 22, 2013 2:28 am

I 've worked on "Subvertus" a long time ago, it failed because it had a lack of propper direction and an "incompetent" 14 year old lead.

After the failure of Subvertus started working on a smaller project solo, called "Ice", where you played as part of a combine squad attacking a rebel hideout, never bothered finishing it

I worked on "Human Error Coop" with Au-Heppa, it did release, but was quickly abbandoned after release.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-2-short-stories

Currently I am working on DownFall (since 2007) at the rate I am working on it it might take another few years or die slowly ...

http://www.moddb.com/mods/downfall1

marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I managed to hunt down an old Rime screenie. Man am I glad that got binned.

ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mao on Sat May 25, 2013 6:24 pm

Last edited by Mao on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mao

Postby Armageddon on Sat May 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Welcome back.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I was actually a part of the Subvertus team with Marnamai right before its demise. But I had virtually no experience and was still a total noob mapper. If I recall, Spas12 was the one who recruited me. I didn't really offer much as far as development goes. Aside from the small amount of mapping I did with Spas12, I made some shitty dark ambiance track as a concept for an area of the game a few of us had been discussing. We had a concept for a creature called a "snow beast" and me and Spas12 (I think) had an idea where the player would fall through some thin ice in to caverns and get stranded. He'd have to find his way through these caverns while avoiding these creatures, and so I made an ambiance with that in mind. Needless to say, whenever I listen to that track, I cringe:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=996836&t=1

I remember this track being number 1 on Acid Planet in the Dark Ambiance genre. I thought I was king shit. I even made a post here at Interlopers about it:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=24172

But then I realized later on that dark ambiance was a somewhat unpopular genre on Acid Planet, so there wasn't much competition. Not to mention Acid Planet's score system is kind of asinine, as well as the website in general.

Anyway, after that I probably got in to a few random mod teams that I can't remember too well. There was one called Full Moon that was supposed to be a multiplayer "soldiers vs. werewolves" type of mod. They wanted me on as a mapper and possible musician. I liked the concept and stuff, and reluctantly agreed. I soon realized I had no motivation nor will to do any work and left the team only a few weeks later on mutual terms. I was an angsty teenager with clinical depression that was sapping away at all my creativity and drive. This plagued me for years to come.

My main disappointment was Pipe Dream. I posted a thread in the Under Construction section of the forums with a small scene I did in hammer. I had a hard on for Mirrors Edge's art style (and still do) and tried to mimic it in Source. As you can see, I didn't succeed:

http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29945

But some lopers liked the concept and we decided to try and scrape up a team. At first I was the proverbial "project lead." But, again, I had no experience with mods whatsoever; just joining a team then leaving shortly after due to lack of motivation and creativity. We held some meetings, and the guys realized I had no design document set up and no direction. I didn't even understand how to properly prepare to even START a mod until this point.

I wanted a mod that blended puzzle and action, and had crazy ass ideas that the other guys laughed at, but we did have some synergy with our concepts, which made me really happy. The rest of the team wanted a strictly puzzle-oriented mod, and I ended up accepting that. That's where things started going downhill for me.

Again, I realized I was not up to the task. I realized I had no damn clue what I was getting in to. I realized Zip was more prepared than I was despite the fact that I brought a bare bones, baseline concept to the table and it caught the attention of a few lopers. In the end, I eventually talked with Zipfinator about giving him the project and he agreed. He got some headway and things were looking up for the mod. I wanted him to succeed so badly, but I guess things didn't go the way he wanted. I have no idea what he's up to these days or if he ever plans on restarting the mod. Hopefully someday I can get motivated, learn how to do some prop modeling, and get with the guys in the original team with a solid design document and the will to work my ass off and start fresh. This was the only mapping I ever did (excluding the original concept):

There's a more updated build, but I never recorded video of it. I don't know where I posted screens of it either. Might be able to find some later.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Sat May 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Mao wrote:Yeah it was kinda bad.. the story was actually decent, the levels and stuff though.. yuck. I did learn a hell of a lot about detail sprites from Rime though.

(new account for anyone wondering)

Well fuck, that doesn't actually look half bad.

Also Nub I remember your blue pipe map from way back when I was still just lurking lopers, too afraid to post for fear of fiery retribution. I was impressed pantsless. Shame it never worked out. What are you working on now?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ErikKiller on Sat May 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Aww sheeet, I remember Pipe Dream, looked god damn awesome at the time. Now it just seems like CC overkill.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sun May 26, 2013 12:34 am

Actually, I never used any color correction. Just brightly colored textures, specular, and hdr lighting. The original concept looks like total ass because I used shitty textures and it had poor Hdr lighting. That hallway scene I made looks a bit better in the newest build. If I can find some screens then I'll post them. I'm at work at the moment though.

Black_Stormy wrote:Also Nub I remember your blue pipe map from way back when I was still just lurking lopers, too afraid to post for fear of fiery retribution. I was impressed pantsless. Shame it never worked out. What are you working on now?

Nothing. Sadly I haven't been doing any kind of productive stuff in Source. Just working a shitty part time job and gaming with friends.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Mod Talk