WWI: Source desperately needs a coder

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

WWI: Source desperately needs a coder

Postby ashton93 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi there!

First post on this site, and I'm representing the mod WWI: Source running on the source-engine. (obviously)
WWI: Source was first released back in 2010 as a small mod that caught alot of attention from players. What it may lacked visually, it made up for in gameplay. A steady and trusty community built up, and we quickly started work on version 2.0 after the first release. The goal of 2.0 was to improve basically everything, both visually and gameplay-wise. To do this, we needed coders. Now, we had coders, but after a while they all started losing interest or time with the project, and one of them even betrayed us and left us in rage. One of the coders house burnt down, which obviously made him unable to work, and all the others simply didnt have the time. It seems like we almost have a curse on the team when it comes to coders and coding in general.

There is however something positive with the progress of 2.0, and that is the artside of the project. Almost everything art-wise is done, it simply needs to be put together into the game by a skilled coder. At the moment the codebase is a very clean build running on the 2007 engine which we'd love to port over to 2013 some time later on. The work that needs doing is basically building a new version of 1.13b (which you can find on MoDDb) on a newer codebase.

Back in November we posted a news article on our MoDDb page asking for coders, with no results. I was hoping this site would bring some results instead. It's sort of a last try, seeing as I'm afraid I'm going to have to declare the project dead with no coders onboard the team. You would be a saint if you are a coder who is willing to put time and effort into this project. To read more about us and the project, visit our MoDDb page (I've linked it further down). There is alot of fresh media on there too, which might inspire some of you to join in on the effort. We'd love to get the mod out to the public before the centenary in July :)

MoDDb page:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ww1-source

Some of the newest and most noteworthy media:

The requirements we listed back in November:

-Major experience with C++ and how the source-engine works together with it. (previous work on mods for Source is a huge plus)
-That you have enough time for this project.
-Being able to communicate with the rest of the team and actively shaping the game from discussions and solutions we come up with.
-Working with progress-docs and updating them as you make changes.
-Being creative!

Thank you for reading this huge block of text,

The WWI: Source team
ashton93
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: WWI: Source desperately needs a coder

Postby Ennui on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:53 pm

I used to work on this mod some back in 2008-2009 (basically the year or so leading up to the first public release when Wickit and Ztormi were running things). Great to see what a long way the mod has come since, especially in the art department. I hope you guys find a coder! I loved The Trenches on Goldsrc and I always had high hopes for WWIS.
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LordDz on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:33 am

I would like to join, but as always..
That you have enough time for this project = Nope! :(
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ashton93 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:50 am

LordDz wrote:I would like to join, but as always..
That you have enough time for this project = Nope! :(

Well if it helps, any progress is better than the progress we have at the moment. If you ever feel like joining in even if you dont have alot of time to dedicate to the project, feel free to send me a message :)
ashton93
Dumpling
Dumpling

Return to Mod Talk