Double Action: Boogaloo!

Discuss modifications and also recruit team members.

Double Action: Boogaloo!

Postby Stormy on Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:54 am

So I have been travelling all this time and working on this pretty fun-as-hell mod Double Action: Boogaloo. I have seen one or two of you guys on the servers sporadically so I know the word has been in here. Well now we're on greenlight, and I'm here to beg for votes.

But before I do that, I want some actual feedback. I remember back in the day when people used to post up a mod and Lopers used to tear it apart with pointed, accurate and productive criticism. I was terrified to do anything but silently download mods and never breathe a word of my own crap creations. Now I need you guys to tell me what you think about the thing I have been working on. This is as close as any mod I have worked on has come to a release for the entire time I have been modding. THIS IS IT BROTHERS!

So the amount of times I have destroyed mod posts because they lack media is uncountable. I am not about to fall into the same trap. Here's some info about DAB.

DAB's premise is "You're in an action movie GO!". We have spent a lot of time tailoring the game for pure fun. Respawn time? Who has fun waiting to respawn? Took it out didn't we. Walking? Screw that. We got dives, slides and flips. You can initially think of it like Max Payne on steroids, multiplayer. Actually we have bullet time too. Slow mo activates server wide which initially sounds like a screwy mechanic but in reality it works well. Players are always in the midst of the action so when someone pops a slowmo it's more fun for all involved.

Here is an ever so slightly out of date gameplay video:

And a bunch of pictures

As much as we need votes (and the word to be spread) I really want to see what you guys think of the game. In the vein of shit maps nights I think Lopers could really get some fun out of it before source breathes it's long-time-coming final death gurgle.

On an ever so slightly related note, I have been using a screen recording program called Action by Mirrilis which is pretty good, I get no framerate drops on my laptop and the videos come out squeaky clean and no compression issues. I would LOVE a playtest video or two to see how a newcoming player handles our control scheme and all the rest that comes with seeing a stranger play your mod.
Last edited by Stormy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Double Action: Greenlight vote beg

Postby Gambini on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:07 am

It´s great you´re on the greenlight now. I have checked the mod a few times going offline but didn´t have enough time to make a propper judgment. For me it´s a kind of a hassle playing MP but just for the heck of seeing all the cool stuff you (you and team) did, I will make the sacrifice :D

I recognize your Brad Pitt model there. Good he made it to a finished mod, i remember it was for some cancelled mod or something? I know how it feels spending a lot of time on a piece like that just to see it stuck because the project for what it´s for doesn´t move forward.

Voted and good luck!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby DoxC on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:31 am

Bomber's gender in the character selection is female.
DoxC

Postby [Steve] on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 am

I know you wanted real feedback so here it goes.
So I played it for a bit and I have to say it was actually fun fun fun.There are some great gameplay ideas that surprisingly seem to work really well.

The biggest thing stopping me from wanting to play it again would be the visuals, there was an overall lack of polish and consistent style, It wasn't all bad, but mostly it looked like a dated arcade game. Perhaps its partially the style you are going for, but regardless its still rather unpolished. The lack of consistency between maps is especially noticeable, mostly because some areas are actually well done making the bad parts look even worse.
Very alpha, or pre alpha in places.

I think you have a good concept and a good start on what will become a really fun and crazy multiplayer game/mod, however in its current state I think its too early to be heading to Greenlight.
It depends what your team is aiming for I guess, but for me, I would say its not at that stage yet.
It certainly isn't a mod thats at the quality level I would expect for a game/mod downloadable from steam.

I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I do think it is pretty fun and has lots of potential!.
Imo if you can get the visuals to be on par with the gameplay then your going to have a winner.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Stormy on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Yeah the maps are our weakest point, I think the whole team can agree on this. The lack of consistency comes from different mappers of different skill levels contributing at different stages of development.

It's good you bring that up because I hope a side effect of our publicity will be to attract some mappers or artists that can help out in this area. I am filled with apprehension because even after release I'll be concentrating on characters and setpieces rather than the overall polish of the maps, as I would like to. To mitigate that I have been spending the last few days writing up guidelines for our existing and new mappers (touch wood) so we get some higher quality maps. You guys can skim over them if you like, there will be more coming:

http://www.doubleactiongame.com/map-des ... nciples-1/
http://www.doubleactiongame.com/map-des ... nciples-2/
http://www.doubleactiongame.com/map-des ... nciples-3/

Also, bomber is female because I am currently working on this model, which will be ready for the july 15 release:

The head is done and I am currently rigging it and beating source into submission so we can replace that god-awful nick skin.
Last edited by Stormy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Double Action: Boogaloo!

Postby Stormy on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 am

Not only has Double Action released but we got greenlit! You can get the release now or wait a few days for the steam release.

I need to get back to work!
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby DoxC on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 am

Grats on getting greenlit.
Btw, are you going to add hats now or not because thats the main source of revenue i know of from valve.
I actually dont know how you make money off getting greenlit, anyone care to enlighten me on this?
DoxC

Postby Major Banter on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:52 am

ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:42 am

Whoa, grats stormy :]
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:52 pm

We also got Mod of the Week from PCGamer. Will some of you guys come and play the damn thing now?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:58 pm

I'm playing it everyday.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby plagueofburia on Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 am

Awesome, great amount of work man, all the areas look great, I particularly like the look of the subway and the roof top type areas :smt023
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:24 am

So Double Action: Boogaloo was released on Steam a few days ago. It features a host of bugfixes and tweaks, an updated ui, major updates to da_Streets and da_Trainingday as well as smaller updates to the rest of the maps.The controls have been tightened up and some long awaited balances have been made. The team have been working hard to bring it up to standard and I think it's finally getting out of that 'beta' feel. There are heaps of people playing on the servers at the moment so now is a good time to get some action on!

Steam

If anyone wants to make maps I would love to see some more lopers involved. We have easy setup guides for hammer and mapping principles to exploit DA's unique gameplay. Our source files are available here, this includes heaps of custom content made by the team, and heaps of content poached from just about every corner of the web. If you want to get involved, come to the community hub or add me on steam, or just post right here!

Either way, come have some fun! And let me know what you think!
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby [KIRBY] on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:00 pm

Right now I am sorta more involved into DooM modding, but what would you say about map "ported" from PayDay 2? I am more specific about the "four stores" job, as it has potential for DA:B in terms of map design, main street is the hotspot, there are shop interiors and there are plenty of alleys.

on top of that I dont think Overkill would be pissed off about this.

I did not play DA since beta when you guys were running a kickstarter campaign, did much change?
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:22 pm

Yeah a lot has changed since the kickstarter. It's worth having a second look. For example, they ran the kickstarter before I joined the mod at all. I love Payday 2, it's a big influence for me when I make maps for DA. If you want to rip a map then sure, I think that one would play well in DA. There are custom map servers that we can host it on too. Overkill have their own engine right?
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Next

Return to Mod Talk