Left 4 Dead available for pre-order!

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Left 4 Dead available for pre-order!

Postby source-maps on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 pm

does anybody forgot to mention the new gameplay in L4D
gameplay goes for graphics
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Woe Kitten on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:28 pm

Quit your nitpicking kids. Obviously l4d doesn't have a completely new engine but it is an incremental improvement on hl2:e2. Don't you want to get your hands on the director? Not to mention all the new artwork assets? Sorry if charging as much as a full game is too much for you but in the end it comes down to six simple words:

Don't like it? Don't buy it.
Woe Kitten
BioWare

Postby Oakley on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:47 pm

Man I was reading the steam forums melting my brain and I saw the exact same thing with the price. Everyone seems to be forgetting that this ISNT a mod/expansion or anything it's a full game with loads of content and even more to come. Grrr. It's a perfectly reasonable price, having said that it better be as good as it looks.

Can't wait to start playing it :D
Oakley
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby punky on Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:17 pm

Oakley wrote:Man I was reading the steam forums melting my brain and I saw the exact same thing with the price. Everyone seems to be forgetting that this ISNT a mod/expansion or anything it's a full game with loads of content and even more to come. Grrr. It's a perfectly reasonable price, having said that it better be as good as it looks.

Can't wait to start playing it :D

You're right, but most people expected a lower price, since valve's games usually don't cost a lot, the OB for example only cost $60 and it contained a lot of top games, this single game costs almost as much as that... But I'm still going to buy it, the engine might not have the best graphics, but hell, in L4D it's all(mainly) about the gameplay.
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby rb_lestr on Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Dynamic shadows?
Yeah OB engine, my bad [Still not a part of the "improvements" for l4d]

Dynamic Colour Correction?
You mean colour correction changing within the map?
Been done.
With map logic at that, nothing to do with engine improvements.
In EP1 engine.

AI Director is gameplay, not engine.

And i wasn't bitching, just pointing out that you're not really getting anything new engine wise.
Funny how people got all defensive as if i was bashing the game or something.
rb_lestr
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:29 am

seems mostly true that we're not getting a real update, any updates are marginal and just to keep the engine up with the times.

But the engine is still one of the best out there, I don't think people undestand the difference between an engine and ingame content. Yeah you can play tf2 maxed out at 140 fps, but you toss in some more models, more layered textures, and more brushes and you can make the "engine" look top notch and "next gen"

But source is still a fully featured, very powerful engine, which also supports custom shaders, if you don't like the way halflife 2 looks, but you want to use the engine, be valve's guest.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News