Valve announce details of L4D 2 advertising campaign

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve announce details of L4D 2 advertising campaign

Postby no00dylan on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm

source-maps wrote:
Kodox wrote:Let me know if there is a Episode 3 Teaser at the end of L4D 2, then I'll consider buying it.

exclusive Ep3 Teaser for Pre-Purchasers, haven't u heard?

I believe you have been misinformed, sir.

It's an episode 3 demo, not teaser.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AverageJoe on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:44 pm

I'm agitated that Ep3 demo is packed with a product.
Personally I think it devalues the purchased product in a bit of a moral standpoint.

I'm agitated that they abandoned L4D to make L4D2 like they did. L4D2 really should have been something like the Fallout3 DLC.

I'm agitated that they are pumping so much money into whoring it out like this because in my mind Valve has always been about grassroots marketing. Let the love spread.

Yet, I find myself with a 4pack pre-order. Why?
All my friends are going to be playing it, not L4D.
Nobody makes even halfway decent maps for L4D, the four original campaigns just don't cut it like they used to and the addon stuff they have released is anemic.

But I mean, for christsake if they don't make the L4D2 Authoring tools available like a month after release...FU valve. FU. You've lost my respect, and in this day of gaming, that's a companies only real currency.
We are not but a parade of crystalline machines, performing as programmed.
AverageJoe
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm

well Joe they said l4d1 custom maps will be playable in l4d2 after some small changes to the map :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby no00dylan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 am

AverageJoe wrote:I'm agitated that Ep3 demo is packed with a product.
Personally I think it devalues the purchased product in a bit of a moral standpoint.

I'm agitated that they abandoned L4D to make L4D2 like they did. L4D2 really should have been something like the Fallout3 DLC.

I'm agitated that they are pumping so much money into whoring it out like this because in my mind Valve has always been about grassroots marketing. Let the love spread.

Yet, I find myself with a 4pack pre-order. Why?
All my friends are going to be playing it, not L4D.
Nobody makes even halfway decent maps for L4D, the four original campaigns just don't cut it like they used to and the addon stuff they have released is anemic.

But I mean, for christsake if they don't make the L4D2 Authoring tools available like a month after release...FU valve. FU. You've lost my respect, and in this day of gaming, that's a companies only real currency.

1- The ep3 demo was a joke, cool down bro.
2- They haven't abandoned l4d, survival, crash course, and new dlc to be announced this month, better than what most companies would do, be happy.
3- They're a company, and they've got hold of some major cash, that's why they'll be advertising it so much, why not if it means more money, more players, and more support for Valve?
4- You pre-ordered a 4 pack, witch is like contradicting your last statement 4 times.
5- You've lost all respect in Valve, and respect it currency, right? Wrong, money is currency, it's the only one they use, and the only one I use, respect wont land you a candy bar, and you didn't pay respect to Valve to get a copy of l4d2, excuse me, four copies.

They have your money, you'll get your game, you'll play it with your friends, and hopefully since you read this, you'll stop whining.

/common sense

snickleberries
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 am

Another one for the win bin Dylan.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:00 am

Business as usual.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:01 am

Yes, of course. Wouldn't want it any other way, would we?
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby atelierz on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:11 am

let's not forget that the l4d2 authoring tools ship with the game, either.
research before whining usually equals less whining.
atelierz
Regular
Regular

Postby no00dylan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:39 am

BadaBING
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 am

I thought we had gotten all this l4d2/valve hubbub out of the way back when they unveiled it.
AverageJoe wrote:You've lost my respect, and in this day of gaming, that's a companies only real currency.

I thought that making good games was a company's currency. So, enough with the melodrama already.

Hopefully the advertising pays off, and Valve gets a nice big profit to hold 'em over until they release Episode3.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby source-maps on Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:09 am

no00dylan wrote:1- The ep3 demo was a joke, cool down bro.

Shhht! dont tell him that, wouldn't it be funnier if he came back and rant why he hasn't got an ep3 demo copy :-D

btw where did u read that valve is announcing the new DLC this month?
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby AverageJoe on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 pm

no00dylan wrote:1- The ep3 demo was a joke, cool down bro.
I'm actually glad to hear that lol (I'm not mad either, just agitated...like a dog being pet too hard :P)
2- They haven't abandoned l4d, survival, crash course, and new dlc to be announced this month, better than what most companies would do, be happy.
I'd be happier with l4d2 being an addon pack rather than the full shabang.
3- They're a company, and they've got hold of some major cash, that's why they'll be advertising it so much, why not if it means more money, more players, and more support for Valve?
It's about hyping things out. IF (big if) l4d2 doesn't live up to the increased marketing, it would be a decent blow to valve's credibility to make excellent games. They already have such a great reputation, it would sadden me to see them do the pandering bit.
4- You pre-ordered a 4 pack, witch is like contradicting your last statement 4 times.
Technically I've ordered one copy at a discounted price with three other friends. ;)
5- You've lost all respect in Valve, and respect it currency, right? Wrong, money is currency, it's the only one they use, and the only one I use, respect wont land you a candy bar, and you didn't pay respect to Valve to get a copy of l4d2, excuse me, four copies.
I didn't say I've lost my respect in valve, I said if they screw over the content creating part of their community I would lose alot of respect for them.
Let me clarify what I meant by respect is the only currency. First off, I was being speculative.
The games industry is starting to catch up with the rest of the world and in the next five years really good games will most likely be in short supply. Almost all good media come from companies that don't treat their customers as wallets, but rather wallets that feel pain. When you give those wallets buyer's remorse, they stop shitting money at you.

I've been trying to keep up with the news on L4D2 and I never saw new content announced other than crash course, nor did I see anything about the authoring tools being released with the game.
My bad about that.
We are not but a parade of crystalline machines, performing as programmed.
AverageJoe
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:15 pm

atelierz wrote:let's not forget that the l4d2 authoring tools ship with the game, either.
research before whining usually equals less whining.

This made me a lot less worried about mapping for it.

I don't care what Valve did, L4D was awesome... no, is awesome, L4D 2 looks like a better version, new maps, new gameplay, new special infected, new weapons and so forth, this is worthy of another sale, not just a DLC.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 pm

You'd rather have L4D2 as an addon pack? I thought people have gone over this enough where it was out of the question, but I guess you missed all of those threads.

It's 5 campaigns, that would be a huge add-on. The new gib/damage system on the normal infected would be about a gig or more which is again a huge add-on. Adding new Special Infected to L4D campaigns would unbalance them and wouldn't take advantage of all the spots they'd be good for. Adding melee weapons to L4D without the new gib system wouldn't work and would be hard to implement into L4D campaigns and probably cause some issues with other things. Changing the setting to the South wouldn't fit in with the L4D campaign unless they add the characters which I'm not sure if they can even do to L4D. New weapons, ammunition and things like that wouldn't be balanced well with L4D content and they'd have to go through all the maps adding new weapon spots and things like that with the way they had it set up.

There's a lot more than that, but I'm not going to list it all. Valve changed so much and is making a new game so they could implement more of the ideas that Valve had, remember how they bought Turtle Rock about a year before release. I support them for that, it wont be bad. Also the funding from this will probably go into the development of Episode 3, and you don't want them to cancel EP3 because of low funds, do you?
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Listen to zip, he knows what he's talking about.
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

PreviousNext

Return to Site News