Engineer Update Coming Soon

Comment on the news articles here.

Engineer Update Coming Soon

Postby Mess on Thu May 06, 2010 9:45 am

Valve have released a short teaser for the imminent Engineer Update. There are a couple of interesting things in the background...

Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Engineer Update Coming Soon

Postby Mephasto on Thu May 06, 2010 10:09 am

This is so awesome! I have been waiting for ages.

Engineer looks just like my Uncle, how cool is that.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ad_hominem on Thu May 06, 2010 10:27 am

The way it ends on "It's Your Turn" gives me the impression that this is going to be some kind of Do-It-Yourself update. It would certainly be in-keeping with the Engineer character.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby staberas on Thu May 06, 2010 10:27 am

what was that ?
a fap machine? :lol:
staberas
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby marnamai on Thu May 06, 2010 10:43 am

A spy sapper.

"Engineer is sappin mah spy!" :D
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Thu May 06, 2010 11:53 am

I know this has discussed up and down left and right, but I kind of miss the old TF2. It's changed so much that it's not the same game anymore. Valve is awesome for keeping things fresh and new, but ever since they started changing shit so much, I haven't played at all. I think they last I really played was the Pyro update then the hat shit started and I was like "What the fuck" and stopped.

Meh.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ich 666 on Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 pm

I really like the updates but yeah the "hat shit" does really mess up the game. Its now more of an online-rpg-fps.
Some hats are ok for me but its just way too many of them. And the random drop of weapons and stuff is simply horrible.
Ich 666
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Thu May 06, 2010 1:00 pm

yeah I am oke with the weapon updates, hats are fine to but some are just out of character and too silly...
I mean... triple hats stack and bunny ears WTF.. ruins the feel of tf2 a bit
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Psy on Thu May 06, 2010 1:53 pm

TF2 to become turn-based FPS. You heard it here first, folks.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tokoya on Thu May 06, 2010 3:48 pm

I still puzzle over people being put-off by the hats and item drops, I'd wager the reason the game still has such an active community is at least partly due to the freshness and change in strats the new item drops offer.

Maybe it's just me but it seems odd to have your experience ruined by silly hats in a game that wasn't designed visually to be taken seriously like CS or L4D, hence the cartoony style of the characters.
Tokoya

Postby Major Banter on Thu May 06, 2010 4:06 pm

I like the hats, they add a visual element of customisable that wasn't present before. I got bored of playing "Medic" and "Scout" very quickly. Playing as customisable characters is a very different story; and frankly, since they don't detract from the gameplay, I think you're just being idiots.

A few extra polys does not make a game suddenly shite.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elv02 on Thu May 06, 2010 5:13 pm

Looks awesome, but I doubt I'll actually play it. I have to agree with some of you that TF2 just isn't the same game anymore. I think it's become a fine example of a game that's been updated too much. The updates aren't even additions to the game though, like an extra campaign or map. They completely alter the balance and mechanics of the gameplay! (Minus the hats) Originally, I have to admit I thought the weapons were really cool, but I think since the demo-soldier war and all these hats... It's getting really off balance in general. I loaded up my first game in months about a week ago, and it just didn't feel like the same game. It feels like Valve took a masterpiece painting, and every couple of months decided "I think we could add a little here." After about 2 years, it's an entirely different painting.

This new TF2 still seems like a great game in it's own right, but you can't argue it's not the TF2 we used to know...

TL;DR TF2 has changed so much, that I think it's become a whole new game in it's own right; whether that's good or bad I'm unsure.
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Thu May 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Tokoya wrote:I still puzzle over people being put-off by the hats and item drops, I'd wager the reason the game still has such an active community is at least partly due to the freshness and change in strats the new item drops offer.

Maybe it's just me but it seems odd to have your experience ruined by silly hats in a game that wasn't designed visually to be taken seriously like CS or L4D, hence the cartoony style of the characters.

lol it is not ruined by the hats, I just think some hats look silly.. that's all :D

and btw, gameplay has not 'altered'... there are just new ways to play it (well maybe a little)
technically if everybody in the server has their old weapons equipped you have the old tf2 8)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jike on Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 pm

And seriously. Most new weapons aren't as good as the old ones. In my opinion, the heavy got the most useful new items!

JUST THINK AOBUT IT: SANDVICH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby YokaI on Thu May 06, 2010 10:00 pm

The hats aren't my problem, my problem is the lack of competitive atmosphere. IF the game had a stronger competitive community, it would be much more enjoyable to play. I actually think hats are a nice way to reward a player for playing but not give them any competitive advantage.

Unfortunately, many of the classes lack tactics (That's why I play Spy, Sniper, and Engy sometimes) and the game isn't as much about skill anymore as it is about logging hours and getting lucky with weapon drops. Some may say WoW is the same, but while there's still a time sink you have to put into the game, there's a huge competitive community revolved around that game. Also, more importantly, you know exactly what you need to do to get whatever piece of gear, and you are rewarded efficiently for playing well and for playing with a community.

THe problem with TF2 is that there's too many weapon unlocks and there are some that just AREN'T good. Even worse, some of the old secondary / melee weapons weren't used in a way that makes the classes unique. I also feel like you should be able to switch to any weapon on the fly, because loadouts make you blindly make a selection before a round starts. It would be nice as a sniper to be able to use both the Jarate and sub machine gun. Many weapons that used to be the default weapons were not buffed and were ignored.

Valve, instead of making weapon unlocks, should have been changing the game through primary weapons. Why not make the old medic needle gun the bluntsauger by default?

I still think TF2 had the potential to be one of the best E-Sports FPS games on the market, but it's a shame valve never works toward that community. I guess they can all just go back to Quake / Quake Live. /sigh.

Don't get me wrong though, I love TF2, probably my favorite Valve game. It was basically the paradigm of valves character designs too imo.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Site News