Postby Surfa on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:31 pm

Can't believe nobody posted this yet.

What happens when you turn it on
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Valve Announce Alien Swarm

Postby korge on Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Its obvious that this new engine that valve is working on is laid for ground work from Portal 2 and Alien Swarm all the way to DotA and hopefully someday, Episode 3.

Source needed this kind of update.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Game of the year for me. Definitely.

I just realized the extinguisher is so HL2 beta.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Noodles on Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:55 pm

What is DotA?
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 pm

Noodles wrote:What is DotA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_of_the_Ancients

The team behind the game was recently employed by Valve or something.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:02 pm

It's fun the first one or two times through, but every level is heavily scripted. I actually beat the last level because I knew all of the spawns by heart (was in a couple of bad groups). I find it weird that they'd make this off the L4D modification of the engine and not include randomly spawning monsters.

Free game, free TF2 hat, update to the SDK so of course I'm happy, but it's good this was free as more then $5 would have been a rip-off unfortunately :\

I say this as I feel the same way as to a game that's incredibly similar, the "Shooter" series (zombie shooter, Alien shooter) I got them for $2.50 each off steam, and was fine with my purchase, but had I bought them at their full price of $10.00 I would have been pretty damn pissed off.
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ThePain on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 pm

Listen to Dr Steel while playing this game for the perfect combination. It's like the missing soundtrack for this game.

Specifically "Greedy" "Schizophrenic" "Drop Da Bomb" "Planet X Marks the Spot" and "Bohemian Grove"

http://www.grooveshark.com
It's quite simple really. I want to be a professional level designer. I want this to be my job.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

What? I had random spawns at least twice in the second map, I know because we died once and expected to be jumped but it didn't happen until later.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:42 pm

More than likely the first time someone ran ahead and activated a scripted event. On the 4th level at one of the buttons you have to activate I wandered off from the group. The second he started working on the button 4 mobs just popped into existence next to me and started following a set pathway before turning around and attacking me.

Last level- When you head left you get 1 red exploding bug, then 2. Once someone walks to the end of the hall 2 climb over the rail, one comes from the left, then one from the right. After the one on the right spawns 2 more climb over, then another from the left, and on the right one crawls over the railing a few feet ahead. about 10 seconds later another crawls over the railing and I believe 2 spawn in from behind you, again probably the railing again. Happens every time like clockwork.

The entire game is on rails every second you play.

If you'd like me to show you, I'll play the final level in a group with you and tell you exactly what monsters are coming up before we get there, for the entire level.
Last edited by ThePain on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 pm

He probably means the parasites and bigger aliens.
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Phott on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Nope, we were just 2 people and the second run was not the same as the first. I haven't played the entire game yet though so I'm not going to read your description of what happens.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThePain on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:48 pm

I will have to see this for myself, as having played through the campaign a couple times I'm fairly certain every encounter is the same every time. (Although people have said that the encounters at different difficulties spawn different enemies, but are still scripted)

The parasites spawn either on a trigger, or if you leave a disturbed egg alive long enough. If you kill all of the eggs quickly than the parasites may not spawn.
ThePain
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ErikKiller on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:08 pm

ThePain wrote:I will have to see this for myself, as having played through the campaign a couple times I'm fairly certain every encounter is the same every time.

I have the same thing. And on Easy or Normal it doesn't matter - still the same thing.
But I don't care this game is just too awesome!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Habboi on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Funny enough you can knock the barrel in the first level away from the pipe. They set it to explode triggers the event so it doesn't matter. Pretty funny.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Preamp on Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 pm

this game is so awesome considering its free :)
the tilegen thing is a bit silly i think but its cool that you can create maps this easy, even tho theres not much room for altering stuff unless you use hammer

i like the sdk additions aswell.. but it would be nice if valve fixed some of there other sdk's first before releasing this

Loaded the Alien Swarm hammer up witch should use the same file storage system (.vpk) as l4d2 hammer and it was almost instant

while my L4d2 hammer takes from 10 to 15 mins to load..

i know it its properly partly the size of the game files that causes this but would still be nice if it was a tad faster

oh yea.. and the Alien swarm modelviewer dont work properly for me :(
Preamp
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Site News