Valve Trademarks DOTA

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve Trademarks DOTA

Postby YokaI on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:45 am

Phott wrote:
YokaI wrote:As for DotA, It's a shame that valve's fans can't recognize a good game when it smacks them on the face. DotA is definitely a good game, but since it's not a FPS game it's kind of like you just can't give a shit for some reason.

Yeah! Damned forbid people to have their own opinion!

It's one thing to have an opinion, it's another to blindly say a game is complete shit just because YOU don't like it.

I'm not a huge fan of Quake or Gears of War, but I can honestly look at it and say "hey, this is a good game", even though I don't really enjoy playing those games.

As a part of a community about game design / content design, I would expect people in this community to be less restricted by whether or not they personally enjoy the game, and be able to assess it of it's own properties and whether or not the game works. DotA has a community even stronger than CS these days, so I would say if you think dota is a shit game, I don't know what that makes CS or even L4D.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby korge on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:10 am

YokaI wrote:
Something I posted that obviously nobody gave enough of a shit to read wrote:Also, Battle.net and Steam aren't necessarily competing platforms. Battle.Net isn't publishing third party content nor is it an application that runs on your computer that manages a game library. Battle.Net 2 is only there to do what the old battle.net did, but expand upon it with things like matchmaking and some other nifty features... And also a lack of basic features. :(

For the love of god, I would have thought the majority of gamers would be able to recognize the difference between Steam and Battle.net, one being more a publisher and another just a system to unify all of the developers games / players / communities.

I simply implied that the interface, achievements, friends system, etc and system overall handles much smoother than Steam when it comes to integrated features that it has. Sure, Steam is a store as well as a game interface system. But I admit its unpolished and clunky by comparison.

Valve could learn a thing or two from Blizzards system.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby YokaI on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 am

korge wrote:
YokaI wrote:
Something I posted that obviously nobody gave enough of a shit to read wrote:Also, Battle.net and Steam aren't necessarily competing platforms. Battle.Net isn't publishing third party content nor is it an application that runs on your computer that manages a game library. Battle.Net 2 is only there to do what the old battle.net did, but expand upon it with things like matchmaking and some other nifty features... And also a lack of basic features. :(

For the love of god, I would have thought the majority of gamers would be able to recognize the difference between Steam and Battle.net, one being more a publisher and another just a system to unify all of the developers games / players / communities.

I simply implied that the interface, achievements, friends system, etc and system overall handles much smoother than Steam when it comes to integrated features that it has. Sure, Steam is a store as well as a game interface system. But I admit its unpolished and clunky by comparison.

Valve could learn a thing or two from Blizzards system.

In some ways this is true. But this is mostly true because I don't think developers have all used valves steam works to it's full potential, not even valve has. The best use of it is, honestly, MW2. The ability to add friends to a party, and then have all friends connect to a server simultaneous would make playing with a group of people in a game like TF2 or L4D even easier, especially if you have 3 people and just want to join a public server to get your 4th player or any other players.

It would also be nice to see someone utilize Steam in a way to make it so that you can reply / chat to people without even having to open the steam community overlay using /r /chat <groupnamehere> like you can in Battle.net.

But the lack of those features doesn't mean steam itself is compromised, and it even highlights how different steam is from battle.net, and thus it's a nul point to even compare the two formats.

Though I think valve has a lot to learn from blizzard, just like blizzard has some more to learn from valve. It would be awesome to see some of these custom maps being developed, specifically the ones being developed by ICCup, be added to the default roster and or make them apart of the ranked match section ever now and then, kind of like what valve does with community maps.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby source-maps on Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:24 pm

YokaI wrote:As for DotA, It's a shame that valve's fans can't recognize a good game when it smacks them on the face. DotA is definitely a good game, but since it's not a FPS game it's kind of like you just can't give a shit for some reason.

I would have liked it if it was like AlienSwarm
but I just don't like the fantasy gay shit in it
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Phott on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:49 pm

YokaI wrote:As a part of a community about game design / content design, I would expect people in this community to be less restricted by whether or not they personally enjoy the game, and be able to assess it of it's own properties and whether or not the game works. DotA has a community even stronger than CS these days, so I would say if you think dota is a shit game, I don't know what that makes CS or even L4D.

So instead of getting my own personal opinion about the games design and such, I should go and look what kind of community it has and how big it is?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MáØ on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:50 pm

YokaI wrote:It would be awesome to see some of these custom maps being developed, specifically the ones being developed by ICCup, be added to the default roster and or make them apart of the ranked match section ever now and then, kind of like what valve does with community maps.

They did that a bunch with warcraft 3, I doubt they will just ignore well crafted maps.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby korge on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 pm

MáØ wrote:
YokaI wrote:It would be awesome to see some of these custom maps being developed, specifically the ones being developed by ICCup, be added to the default roster and or make them apart of the ranked match section ever now and then, kind of like what valve does with community maps.

They did that a bunch with warcraft 3, I doubt they will just ignore well crafted maps.

blizzard is working on implementing a community storefront where people who make high (very high) quality maps and mods can sell them (with royalties similar to UDK).
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Valve is 100000% going downhill. Inarguably official. First Left4Dead, then Alien Swarm, now this DotA crap? Seriously, why aren't more people saying WHAT THE FUCK?

WHERE IS PROSPERO. WHY ARE THEY WASTING TIME ON GAMES THAT ARENT HL OR PROSPERO. GABE PROMISED PROSPERO AFTER TF2. SO WHERE IS IT? Instead of Prospero we have two half assed games and some non-prospero BS called DotA that no one's ever heard of. Bah.

Better be Prospero: DotA !!
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jike on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:10 pm

chill?
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby source-maps on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 pm

hahah mr happy, they don't owe you shit
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby poisonic on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 am

korge wrote:Valve could learn a thing or two from Blizzards system.

blizzard was the gamecompany behind world of warcraft if im correct.....
i truly never hope to see the same billing system
[img:400]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/poisonic.png[/img]
poisonic
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:43 am

poisonic wrote:
korge wrote:Valve could learn a thing or two from Blizzards system.

blizzard was the gamecompany behind world of warcraft if im correct.....
i truly never hope to see the same billing system

He is talking about Bnet 2.0, which although is only half of what Steam is, it does do that half quite well.
I would like to see a STREAMLINED Steam overlay UI and browser in the future.
Not necessarily features from Bnet 2.0.

The Facebook integration is pretty neat.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:06 am

Plague wrote:The Facebook integration is pretty neat.

Wat

I don't want Facebook in my fucking games.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby city14 on Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:20 am

Lol over exaggeration ftw right?

It's for b.net and it's a way for your real id account to be linked to facebook. I don't even have facebook so I don't care...

Nor would valve apply that sort of mentality I'm sure...
coder0xff wrote:I wonder if Gabe ever lies in bed at night, thinking about all the fat jokes, and just cries himself to sleep, wiping his tears away with one-thousand dollar bills.
city14
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:40 am

[rant]
city14 wrote:Lol over exaggeration ftw right?

It's for b.net and it's a way for your real id account to be linked to facebook. I don't even have facebook so I don't care...

Nor would valve apply that sort of mentality I'm sure...

Yep, be xenophobic....
The point is it adds a new dimension to the social mechanic of the "Bnet 2.0" platform.
Honestly i was happy when blizz did it becuase a lot of their fans are on facebook.
Just the shear number of people on there is worthwhile.

I would also like to stop this bad chain of information before it grows...
You both apply standard "oh great social networks suck, now they are making games suck." idea up...
This is stereo typical and painful for me to read.

Let me be clear, I use FB.
I dont play with the FB games, I dont do many of the quizes...
The only thing i use it for is,
1. Social interaction, AS THE TERM SOCIAL NETWORK i use it to communcate with friends.
Be it through a "wall" system or buggy chat.

2. Groups, Beleive it or not Groups are a useful part of the FB experience.
With them i turn my "Home feed" into more of a news feed.

3. The "Home Feed" acts as a sort of central point of the entire site.
If friend A uploads a picture of me, I see it and can respond.
If Friend B makes a status sparking a conversation, I can comment.

Phott wrote:
Plague wrote:The Facebook integration is pretty neat.

Wat

I don't want Facebook in my fucking games.

So when i see this, i get this major butthurt when i get classed as this "unclean" "unpure" and imperfect person because i use a social network for what it is.
Because in you're opinion(which is you're own) Facebook is some "blah blah blah" "add filled" "blah blah" "Farmville" "blah blah"....
It pains me when i hear and see people who have not had the time to look at FB and understand what the hell it is.
While i agree that it is now filled with adds and a system which for some ungodly reason is confusing to 90% of people... Its just a web portal for social interaction.

So when i say Facebook interaction? I mean, Facebook chat! Boy would i love to talk to friends through Steam Chat rather then opening up my browser.

And no... The FB games would not be moved over. Just like the Iphone/Android apps we would see core features integrated.
For the people who like that stuff they can mix their profiles. (FB Chat and the Home feed are all i want)
A Home feed that can be viewed through Steam.
Fucking cross/chat so i dont have to bear with the Buggy FB chat.

So Please.... Just no more of this.... Cant we be extraordinary and Stop this stupidity that spreads like a virus......
[/rant]

Alright... Now that thats over.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Site News