Valve Trademarks DOTA

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Valve Trademarks DOTA

Postby Phott on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:22 am

Whoa dude, interesting how you assume that someone who's anti-facebook hasn't taken their time to actually use it.

I've used FB, I've been a member for quite a bit of time, fair enough it's easy to get in touch with people but FB itself is spreading like a fucking virus and I see it everywheeeeere. It makes me wonder how the hell people managed to keep in touch before Facebook, was it even possible?! I dunno, I've always used something called a telephone/skype/msn etc. For me Facebook is redundant, applying it to games is redundant. I don't want to socialize in the same manner when I am playing games. I agree with you, we need to stop this stupidity that is spreading like a virus.

Main point: When I play games, I play games. When I socialize, I socialize.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 am

Yes i took that assumption out of anger towards comments like that.
Also to clarify, I'm just talking about the Social back end currently in use by Valve.
Not necessarily features directly influenced inside the game.
More or less i agree with you, but (unless its SP) it hard to not socialize while gaming.

With Chat, Community and Profiles Steam effectively is a Pseudo-Social Network.
I was just taking aim towards fast "Facebook in ma' games" comments that make something simple rather evil sounding. Being Valve they would do just the things i listed.
They perform the most advancing move without destroying the calm nature of the Community back-end.

But i would really like a facebook chat integration. God awful web apps piss me off...

Edit:
Thought I would add, for the sake of some on topic-ness, My stance on Valve and this branching out is calm.
They stay true to the game and keep them fresh and fun, thus weather i like or dislike DOTA at least i know they will do mostly right. I like the idea of them evolving, as i was pointing out with the social network integration. Its all ok to a certain extent and so far Valve has made sure to remember that boundary.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 pm

oh great social networks suck, now they are making games suck.
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Plague on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:27 pm

source-maps wrote:oh great social networks suck, now they are making games suck.

:smt021
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News