Portal 2 at GamesCom

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Portal 2 at GamesCom

Postby Sentura on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:32 am

i have mixed feelings about this game, it seems the new mechanics will take it away from its simple style into something completely different. the levels (or "puzzles", if you can still call them that) seem very huge and complex, with little to no direction. i wonder how they will go about this.
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Postby Plague on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:00 am

Sentura wrote:i have mixed feelings about this game, it seems the new mechanics will take it away from its simple style into something completely different. the levels (or "puzzles", if you can still call them that) seem very huge and complex, with little to no direction. i wonder how they will go about this.

I think Valve will handle that, and worst case is we get dumbed down P2 because a beta tester did not look up....
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jister on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:30 am

no complaining about source anymore, these fluids looked unbelievably cool!!
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Psy on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 am

I like the part where the viewmodel doesn't receive light from Wheatley's flashlight.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 am

Compared to portal 1, this looks like an actual game! XD

In all seriousness though, I'm very not interested in portal 2. It isn't exactly that it's bad, or not cool, and it has some cool characters, but portal just doesn't really appeal to me the way half life or half life 2 did to me. Maybe portal 2 will change this, but will I spend 50 dollars to find out? Well, not until I see the playtime logs...
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ErikKiller on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:37 am

Plague wrote:I think Valve will handle that, and worst case is we get dumbed down P2 because a beta tester did not look up....

Seeing as by "beta testers" Valve has always used 40 y.o. women and 10 y.o. brats th game WILL be dumbed down.
Psy wrote:I like the part where the viewmodel doesn't receive light from Wheatley's flashlight.

Bah perfectionist.
YokaI wrote:but portal just doesn't really appeal to me the way half life or half life 2 did to me

Too much thinking? hurrdurr
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:46 am

ErikKiller wrote:Too much thinking? hurrdurr

No, portal is probably one of the easiest "puzzle games" I've ever played.

I think I would have liked it if it was more difficult, the issue is that it was too easy and pretended to be difficult. I play plenty of puzzle games or games that require some thinking, but Portal didn't feel like that type of game to me. It felt like an FPS game minus the actually shooting part, which then it just becomes FP.

To be honest, I think more playing a game like starcraft than I ever have in any game like Portal.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 pm

They've definitely got the AS updates in there.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jike on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 pm

ErikKiller wrote:
Psy wrote:I like the part where the viewmodel doesn't receive light from Wheatley's flashlight.

Bah perfectionist.

Bah http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Env_projectedtexture/fixes#Enabling_shadow_receiving_on_the_view_model
-Jike
Jike
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Mephasto on Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:06 pm

I liked the old voice better :/
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:16 pm

I think people are misunderstanding why Portal 2 is so different compared to Portal 1. I'm pretty sure Gabe Newell stated that Portal 1 wasn't expected to be so successful and that it was like a prototype, or a test of sorts. Due to its success, they made a sequel and it's a full-fledged game rather than a test. The puzzles do look pretty absurd but I think it's great. I don't want the simplistic puzzles that Portal 1 had, because then it would be fucking boring and repetitive. The trailers for Portal 2 have sparked my interest as much as the first trailers to Portal 1 did, which is god damn impressive. Think back to when you first watched the original Portal trailer. You were like "Holy fucking shit," right? That's exactly what these trailers have done for me, even though I've seen and experienced the portal concept in its most basic form, which was the first Portal game.

I do have to say though...I kind of liked the old voice for Wheatley a lot better. The new voice isn't really bad or anything, I just doesn't give the personality sphere as much...personality...
Last edited by nub on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:21 pm

YokaI wrote:
ErikKiller wrote:Too much thinking? hurrdurr

No, portal is probably one of the easiest "puzzle games" I've ever played.

I think I would have liked it if it was more difficult, the issue is that it was too easy and pretended to be difficult. I play plenty of puzzle games or games that require some thinking, but Portal didn't feel like that type of game to me. It felt like an FPS game minus the actually shooting part, which then it just becomes FP.

To be honest, I think more playing a game like starcraft than I ever have in any game like Portal.

Not even during the first playthrough or two? I mean, our minds are now wired for ... well let's just say that we all now "think with portals" ... but we used to not think with portals. Didn't the game give you some difficulty the first few times? And don't you think something similar will happen with P2, even though we are now thinking with portals?

Also, the devs said that Portal was an experiment for them. They had to design the game not simply to challenge players, but to teach them how to think with portals. Do you think that in P2, they will move on to truly making the game difficult?

Finally, in the end, a game is designed with fun in mind. Did you have fun playing Portal, even if you thought it was easy?

EDIT: I GOT NINJA'D YARG!! But I concur with nub. :)
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News