Erik Johnson Talks Portal 2

Comment on the news articles here.

Erik Johnson Talks Portal 2

Postby Blink on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Gamasutra have recently posted a fairly lengthy interview with Erik Johnson with the topic being Portal 2:

Portal was a game that many people felt didn't really need a sequel, despite how much fans loved the universe and would appreciate a return. How do you balance that expectation?

We looked back to find the core things players liked about Portal. We felt it was the story and the tone, the type of story it was, and the delivery mechanism of the story. We felt like for a lot of people, their reaction was surprise about the gameplay. Portals are obviously a huge part of the gameplay itself, but the thing they wanted was to be surprised -- like the type of game, what they thought when they played the game.

Give the full interview a read.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Erik Johnson Talks Portal 2

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm

ah yes, I read this a couple days ago.

I'm glad that valve's still committed to single player games, and feels that there's still a future for them, but I'm not quite sure I agree with him when he says ...

You're saying that because of these pirates, you get no single player experiences, which makes no sense to me. If there are as much players that want single player experiences, you should go build that. I think there are plenty of people that still want to have single player experiences.

I don't think that pirates are the reason developers don't want to make single player games.

Good interview though.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby source-maps on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:04 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:ah yes, I read this a couple days ago.

I'm glad that valve's still committed to single player games, and feels that there's still a future for them, but I'm not quite sure I agree with him when he says ...

You're saying that because of these pirates, you get no single player experiences, which makes no sense to me. If there are as much players that want single player experiences, you should go build that. I think there are plenty of people that still want to have single player experiences.

I don't think that pirates are the reason developers don't want to make single player games.

Good interview though.

yeah, it's because single players usually don't last very long and that's why they are sold less or pirated more
for example I played EP2 16 hours and Tf2 471 hours...

I think 'story telling games' are going more towards l4d coop style games
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby nub on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:42 am

I just think the price for SP-only games doesn't need to be any higher than $40. I mean, Valve has always sold Half Life games pretty damn cheap. HL2 was no more than $30 back when it first came out, right? I think Valve prices their single player games based on how long they take to play through, on average.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News