Retailers Unhappy With Steam Monopoly

Comment on the news articles here.

Retailers Unhappy With Steam Monopoly

Postby Blink on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Apparently many game retailers are unhappy with the monopoly that Steam holds over digital distribution and are threatening to stop stocking games that use it:

Insiders say Steam, run by US studio Valve, serves a massive 80 per cent of the PC download sector. And retailers preparing their own rival platforms don’t want that share to grow any more. Some of the biggest PC games – such as Call of Duty and Fallout – use Steam. But retailers are concerned that selling games with the tech built-in pushes users towards only buying games via Valve going forward.

You can read more on this over at MCV.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: Retailers Unhappy With Steam Monopoly

Postby Armageddon on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:38 pm

This is just stupid...
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:50 pm

I think the comments are better reads than the actual article :)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dionysos on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 pm

It is a big monopoly, but they got there by seizing the moment and providing a service that is otherwise not provided. If they want to lose sales and stop selling those games, they can, but it won't do them any good. If someone wants to break the monopoly steam holds, they have to create a better, free'er service. They won't accomplish that by moaning that someone else was faster and better.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby source-maps on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:11 pm

sorry but... if the games that are on steam won't be available retail.. won't that mean they will loose even more money and everyone will start buying it on steam

last game I bought in an actual store was HL2, I hate DVD's and boxes and such.. just give me the digital content..

sounds like they are afraid of inevitable progress and this is a desperate attempt to try and stop it
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_dirt976 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:21 pm

this is quite a laughable situation. Even if the stores were more adequately stocked, why the hell would I opt for the non-steam version of drm? I hate drm either way, but steam is a lesser and more convenient evil. Steam also has a more accessible library of games, most of which are shown with useful statistics such as price, ratings, popularity, automated updates, reliable customer support, and much more. Come to think of it, steam isn't really that evil when you consider all of that, these guys are mad because they don't want to account for their shortcomings.
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby ad_hominem on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:25 pm

Lewie P said it best on Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

The actual complaints amount to “we want to have more control over distribution, instead of Valve.”

Whichever highstreet retailer it is, they have all routinely failed PC gaming over the last decade or more, whereas Valve have successfully created what is a level playing field for all sorts of developers, and a fantastic service for it’s customers. It’s not perfect, by any means, but a lot of people obviously think Valve offer the best service.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Oskmos on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm

I love steam. Always have, but I prefer to buy the games at a store so i can put the box in my shelf :P
Best thing is when you can buy at the store AND activate the game with steam so you dont have to hassle with the DVD at all but still have something in the shelf :D
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:04 am

Now it shows even more that's it's all about the money and nothing to do with customer service =/

I really enjoy steam.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Klifsnider on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:15 am

The thing that bothers me most about steam is that when the Euro was worth less than the Dollar, a game would cost more euros than dollars, but now that the Euro is worth more, a game that costs $60 also costs €60. I find this discriminative. We would be paying $30 more than an American.
The Battle Grounds 2 developer. http://www.bg2mod.com
Recruiting mappers, hit me up on steam if interested (klifsnider1291).
Klifsnider

Postby Plague on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:18 am

Ever since I started using Steam for PC Games almost exclusively I now treat physical copies more like a novelty.

Still have my HL2, HL2:EP1 and L4D1-2 disks.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby stoopdapoop on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:22 am

Klifsnider wrote:The thing that bothers me most about steam is that when the Euro was worth less than the Dollar, a game would cost more euros than dollars, but now that the Euro is worth more, a game that costs $60 also costs €60. I find this discriminative. We would be paying $30 more than an American.

While you have a point, Valve has provided an easy work-around to this issue. Just have an American friend gift you game, then paypal them the real price (maybe a little extra if it's not such a good friend) and you're set, right?
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Klifsnider on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:28 am

Any American want a European friend? ;-)

That is true, although saying Valve provided us with this is a little bit over the top, they banned proxies from steam in order to stop Europeans from using American IP addresses to buy games (before they were out in Europe), and right after that they change the pricing system so Europeans have to pay more. Sounds like a strategy to make more money to me.
The Battle Grounds 2 developer. http://www.bg2mod.com
Recruiting mappers, hit me up on steam if interested (klifsnider1291).
Klifsnider

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am

All stores around me except walmart stopped selling PC games, Thus in 2006 i joined steam. Steam has various sales.. and game stop etc is gay any ways.

Steam all the way ya know.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Generalvivi on Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 am

I see no problem with this :D! Down with game***t! :P
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Next

Return to Site News