Source SDK 2013 Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Source SDK 2013 Released

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:01 am

Botolf wrote:Per the instructions, I think the point is to compile the base yourself, but I'm hung up on two missing includes: afxwin.h and atlbase.h.

I think I'm hung up on compiling the thing in general right now. Used to working with building things rather then setting up mods so it'll take me a while to get the whole thing working.
Epifire

Postby Dr Evil on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:14 am

Okay so I guess I'm fucked? Says something about needing Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 to build this?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 am

you can use visual C++ express, which is free.

I've gotten the old SDK base to run on 2012 with only a few changes, so it might not be too difficult to get this running the same.

I wonder what this means for shader authoring.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby trepid_jon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:27 am

Yeah, Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express with Service Pack 1 will do the trick.
trepid_jon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:31 am

Mm, apparently those includes aren't included in the Express edition of 2010, how fucked am I?
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 am

pretty fucked by the sounds of it. MS apparently doesn't like handing them out to us plebs. If you're a student I think you can get a pro license for free through dreamspark.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Product/Prod ... roductid=4

Then of course, there's the other option...
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr Evil on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:56 am

I'm having to look at "other options" cause I'm not a student and I dont have $700 :/
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:22 am

stoopdapoop wrote:pretty fucked by the sounds of it. MS apparently doesn't like handing them out to us plebs. If you're a student I think you can get a pro license for free through dreamspark.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Product/Prod ... roductid=4

Then of course, there's the other option...

Doubtful they'll accept my ancient high school ids as verification, but one never knows.

If they don't, I guess I'm stuck compiling the Game branch alone (and not Everything), and it's pretty compromised without that initial step. Waiting on an official Steam release, I guess?
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:26 am

I've been thinking on it. Why do mods need those headers? Are you building the "everything" solution?

If so, don't. Build game_episodic-2010 for singleplayer or Game_HL2MP for multiplayer.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:30 am

@botolf, i think this IS the official steam release.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:33 am

Getting to wonder why they stuck with this compile method if there isn't clearly available means to compile it.
Epifire

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:35 am

stoopdapoop wrote:I've been thinking on it. Why do mods need those headers? Are you building the "everything" solution?

If so, don't. Build game_episodic-2010 for singleplayer or Game_HL2MP for multiplayer.

Ordinarily I wouldn't, but the steam page that accompanied the release instructs it: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... ingStarted

To build the Source SDK 2013 on Windows you will need Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.

Open EverythingSP_SDK-2010.sln (or EverythingMP_SDK-2010.sln) and build it. Then open the Game_<game name>-2010.sln file for the game for which you are building a mod and build that. At this point you should have client.dll and server.dll to load with the Source Engine game you based the mod on.

Label me hella confused, fellahs. Game_<gamename>-2010.sln looks terrible, I didn't even notice the episode 2-esque projected texture flashlight active. Something isn't adding up here.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:58 am

yeah, I was trying to figure out what was up with that too.

Turns out that the game is defaulting to DX 7. You can correct it with the console command "mat_dxlevel 90" or you can add "-dxlevel 90" to your launch options for your mod. Neither are ideal.

For some reason it doesn't want to save any of my graphics options either. Every time I restart I have to reset them. it complains about userconfig.cfg not being around, so I'm going to try to figure out how old SDK's deal with this file and report back.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 am

Gambini wrote:Finally parallax mapping and multiple projected textures are supported. Though, some options seem to be disabled for directx9 users and have to be enabled by editing the cfg file.

Dude.

Also it doesn't look that much new, but hey, Garry, let me know if you find any updated multicore in there. If it's the "working version" my dreams will come true.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 am

stoopdapoop wrote:yeah, I was trying to figure out what was up with that too.

Turns out that the game is defaulting to DX 7. You can correct it with the console command "mat_dxlevel 90" or you can add "-dxlevel 90" to your launch options for your mod. Neither are ideal.

For some reason it doesn't want to save any of my graphics options either. Every time I restart I have to reset them. it complains about userconfig.cfg not being around, so I'm going to try to figure out how old SDK's deal with this file and report back.

Mat_dxlevel was the culprit in my case, defaulted to 0. My graphics settings aren't changing on me, but they tend to do that if I leave -dxlevel in the launch options.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Site News