Operation Bravo

Comment on the news articles here.

Operation Bravo

Postby [Steve] on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:26 am

Last week’s Csgo update saw the arrival of the Operation Bravo map pack, this pack contains eight fantastic community made maps. Congratulations to everyone whose map was included, all eight look outstanding.

Operation Bravo, the latest collection of top-rated community maps, is now live in CS:GO. Buying a pass will get you unlimited access to a map group of eight top-voted Workshop Maps playable in casual, deathmatch and—for the first time—competitive mode. The map group consists of seven new maps (Agency, Ali, Cache, Chinatown, Gwalior, Ruins and Siege), as well as a returning favorite (Seaside) that we’re eager to try out as a competitive map.

The pack costs $5.99 and a percentage of the proceeds go back to the maps authors themselves, so support your fellow level designers and check it out!
http://blog.counter-strike.net/operationbravo/

Let us know what you think of the maps in the comments.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Operation Bravo

Postby nub on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 am

I really don't like how they're charging us for it. It might be relatively cheap, but it's almost like they're going the route that Craptivision has taken with the CoD series by selling map packs and shit. I don't know why they'd out a price on them when anyone can easily get the maps from the community for free. Granted they might be different BSP files so you'd get the "map differs from server" error, but there's bound to be servers that exclusively run the original maps (prior to them being made official).
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dives on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:58 am

The fact that the money goes to the mappers makes this much different than what Activision is doing.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Armageddon on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:02 am

nub wrote:I really don't like how they're charging us for it. It might be relatively cheap, but it's almost like they're going the route that Craptivision has taken with the CoD series by selling map packs and shit. I don't know why they'd out a price on them when anyone can easily get the maps from the community for free. Granted they might be different BSP files so you'd get the "map differs from server" error, but there's bound to be servers that exclusively run the original maps (prior to them being made official).

You only have to pay if you want to play on Valve's servers where you get item drops. The maps are free. Also what Dives said, all the money is split between the mappers which is great.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:53 am

Armageddon wrote:
nub wrote:I really don't like how they're charging us for it. It might be relatively cheap, but it's almost like they're going the route that Craptivision has taken with the CoD series by selling map packs and shit. I don't know why they'd out a price on them when anyone can easily get the maps from the community for free. Granted they might be different BSP files so you'd get the "map differs from server" error, but there's bound to be servers that exclusively run the original maps (prior to them being made official).

You only have to pay if you want to play on Valve's servers where you get item drops. The maps are free. Also what Dives said, all the money is split between the mappers which is great.

It's not really at all like Activision's stranglehold of shoving expensive packs down your throat. They aren't timed content injections they could of been included in the original game. They are optional map packs created by the community at the cost of a small fee. I can't see how that's possibly a negative in a any way?

It simply helps the creators get exposure and recognition for their work via Valve's wide net of advertising capabilities and official server support...and also make some money off it!

Like all recent Valve games, optional is the key word, because that's what this content is. For CS:GO, TF2 & DOTA 2, it's all available from the get-go. Official updates are free. You are never put behind a monetary barrier where you feel you're not getting the full experience if you don't want to shell out any more. It's all community-driven cosmetic items. Valve ain't ripping you off breh.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby srredfire on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am

Not disappointed. It's a great way to support the community and have fun. I always play competitive with a group of friends and it's a ton of fun. Besides, the item drops you get, especially the Bravo crates which sell for 5-6 dollars each easily pay back the cost of the pass.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Oskmos on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:29 pm

I think its really nice. But maybe thats just because I was in the first pack :)
Oskmos
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:34 am

I wasn't aware of the details. I just thought they were charging us for the hell of it. Makes much more sense now.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Site News