Mapping Competition

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Mapping Competition

Postby DerrickW on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:06 pm

About how long should the levels be?
10, 15, 20 minutes, more? Is there a general limit?
DerrickW
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Major Banter on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:10 pm

Rules are rules you whiny bastards. One map limit does not inhibit creativity; it forces condensed, well-planned scenarios with optimisation. It tests more of your skillset and focuses you considerably.

Code is obvious; I'd rather d/l a pack of many textures, than 5+ different mods all packing different code. It also allows considerable change to engine assets - a level playing field of Vanilla forces innovation across the board of skill in Hammer itself.

Assets are obvious; quality goes beyond visual impressiveness. A well-thought out greybox should receive credit, but equally a greybox is not a complete level. Judging should - and I am sure will - be based on multiple elements coming into play. Shiny stuff does not a fun level make, and good gameplay is not sufficient without visual completion.

Some of the other questions are inane; length is length. Piece of string. Gordon is Gordon - bad teleportation, not dimension-hopping, personality exchanges. Read the rules, obey the rules. No competition should change anything to suit individuals.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DerrickW on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Major Banter wrote:Some of the other questions are inane; length is length. Piece of string. Gordon is Gordon - bad teleportation, not dimension-hopping, personality exchanges. Read the rules, obey the rules. No competition should change anything to suit individuals.

Was asking about the length just to clarify it a bit more. You can cram a pretty lengthy level in just one bsp, I just wanted to know if it didn't matter if it was a quick and polished 5-10 minute level or something along the lines of Lost Coast, or even a tad bit longer. =)
DerrickW
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 pm

tbh Lost Coast is less than 10 minute level, which imo is pretty good, it allows you to have a solid piece of gameplay and you still have time to make your map look good
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:55 pm

DerrickW wrote:
Major Banter wrote:length is length

Was asking about the length just to clarify it a bit more. You can cram a pretty lengthy level in just one bsp, I just wanted to know if it didn't matter if it was a quick and polished 5-10 minute level or something along the lines of Lost Coast, or even a tad bit longer. =)

Well, you could fit 30 minutes of gameplay into a map, but the question is whether you actually want to. The way I would look at it is pacing rather than actual timing - let's say you want to start, rise in tension, battle, scenic, puzzle, scenic, battle, climax as a simple example. It's down to you to judge how long each of those segments are. Quick and sharp can work - if it's paced well.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Aus_Karlos on Fri May 02, 2014 8:05 am

I'll rephrase my question that i asked a few days ago. Are you allowed to include a vpk archive with your BSP map?
I've found a way to compile a new Scene.Image file with just my vcds. Then placing the new vpk in ep2/custom, HL2 will mount that vpk archive on boot allowing the integration of new scene + particle files if you have them.
Simply placing the new Scene.Image file in the folder directory does nothing thanks to steampipe.
Under Construction
mg_sawI
Aus_Karlos
Regular
Regular

Postby vcool on Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

zaboomafoo

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spas12 on Tue May 06, 2014 3:21 am

Im gonna fucking win.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wereMole on Fri May 16, 2014 5:55 am

Omg I completely missed this. Can I just join for shits and giggles to make something anyway before the deadline. I know I'm not serious competition but I would be delighted to make something small and concrete within a deadline to tests my skills.
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Postby marnamai on Fri May 16, 2014 10:46 am

@ wereMole: Do it! You still have 1,5 months.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby [Steve] on Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 am

wereMole wrote:Omg I completely missed this. Can I just join for shits and giggles to make something anyway before the deadline. I know I'm not serious competition but I would be delighted to make something small and concrete within a deadline to tests my skills.

enter enter enter ! still plenty of time!
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby wereMole on Fri May 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Okay thanks!

On to the drawing board.
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Site News