RAP = Misogyny

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Does listening to rap make u a mysogynist?

Yes
36%
No
39%
Get the hoe to answer for me...
25%

Total votes : 28

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:10 am

[quote="sidra"]And you calling me a turd for liking Nas? Have you even heard Illmatic?[quote]

yes i have, and i was suprised when my friend told me that it wasn't named for his terminally cancerous shit he calls hiphop. He's wanted to be what Kanye West is.
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:54 am

Athlete{UK} wrote:
Now "GANGSTA RAP" yeah i conceed. Is bollocks and should be burnted for soiling the term hip-hop and music in general.

Though I can agree with that, i still dont believe that it causes people to hate women, which is the topic of this post. If I like it or not, it still doesnt do the things that its accused for by that teacher.

Like I said before, if it does mean that all people who listen to rap hate women, it also means all people who play violent video games are violent. Which is deffinatly not the case, just a stereotype.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby dragonfliet on Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:51 am

YokaI wrote:
Athlete{UK} wrote:
Now "GANGSTA RAP" yeah i conceed. Is bollocks and should be burnted for soiling the term hip-hop and music in general.

Though I can agree with that, i still dont believe that it causes people to hate women, which is the topic of this post. If I like it or not, it still doesnt do the things that its accused for by that teacher.

Like I said before, if it does mean that all people who listen to rap hate women, it also means all people who play violent video games are violent. Which is deffinatly not the case, just a stereotype.

Of course listening to a type of music doesn't make people hate women, but the rampant misogyny in much of mainstream rap does have a negative influence. There's no direct correlation of course, but the tie is there. To say an entire genre is inherently misogynistic is a completely flawed argument, but nonetheless, a person that listens to misogynistic material for long periods of time is going to have a higher tendancy to develope misogynistic behaviors and speech (listen to dumb ass kids who listen to mainstream rap and try and dispute me). It's a learned behavior.

All people who make generalizations are dumb ;-)

~Jason
dragonfliet
Veteran
Veteran

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:48 am

There's a sandwich shop in my town where if you walk into the kitchen you'll see a sign hanging over the back door...

"You can't spell crap without rap"

I can't stand rap at all... none of it. Admittedly I and the people who work in the shop are all dirty hippies obsessed with John Scofield, Medeski Martin and Wood, Pink Floyd, and obscure bands of the 60's such as the Soft Machine. If you haven't heard Soft Machine then either you're really lucky or have missed out on something culturally significant, I can't decide.

However, it's completely ignorant to label all rap music as degrading to women. Thats only the popular rap music. Just because the popular artists such as 50 cent and... whoever else is popular talk about they'z bitchiz and hoez doesn't mean all of the music revolves around that subject. It's like someone coming up and defining all of rock and roll according to whats popular today.

Person 1: who's led zeppelin?"

Person 2: Oh, they're an old rock and roll band.

Person 1: Oh, rock and roll... so they're like old nickelback where all their songs layer over each other perfectly and still sound like 1 song?

Person 2: Exactly

Person 1: Yeah rock and roll is gay like that

Person 2: I thought so.

There are rap artists out there rapping about significant things but it's hard to make a rap video with big tits bouncing around the rappers face when he's rapping about cancer or something important. Thats why you don't see it on tv or hear it on the radio. If you like rap but are tired of rap revolving around booty you should listen to underground rap, like atmosphere. They from the midwest yo.

/end stupidly long post about genre I know nothing of.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby sidra on Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:15 am

RSX WHEEEEEE wrote:
yes i have, and i was suprised when my friend told me that it wasn't named for his terminally cancerous shit he calls hiphop. He's wanted to be what Kanye West is.

ahahaha, are you serious kid?

Illmatic droped in 94, before Kanye was in college. You have no idea what your talking about, so don't even bother posting back.

and Kanye is horrible, one of the worst out there

And Pinkfloyd, I wouldn't think someone that has heard of amopsphere would also bring out the gay acronyms for rap.
sidra

Postby p1nkfl0yd1an on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:19 am

Heh, I'm just not a fan of the popular rap. It really does suck.
All in all you're just another brick in the wall
p1nkfl0yd1an
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Ale on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:26 pm

Grandmaster Flash ftw. now thats oldschool :P
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby YokaI on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:20 pm

dragonfliet wrote:Of course listening to a type of music doesn't make people hate women, but the rampant misogyny in much of mainstream rap does have a negative influence.

So can you say there is a relation between violence in video games having "a negitive influence"? If not, gtfo.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Woe Kitten on Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:34 pm

I wouldn't say so much that listening to rap makes you look down on/hate women. I'd just say that if you weren't a woman hater to some degree you would probabibly find the majority of rap music as offensive, anoying and shallow as I do :D

Either that or you just don't think about anything but sex and money.

EDIT: As for the violonce in computer games, there's not a lot of doubt that people love violence. Luckilly most people don't much like causing pain and suffering to other people. So computer games are great for people who don't like causing suffering to others because they get to excersize their violent nature without harming anyone in reality.
Woe Kitten
BioWare

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:15 pm

i thought pinkfloyd /ended the topic.

sidra, get a life and stop trying to feel high and mighty about listening to a performer that some1 else doesn't. if u want, i can make a thread for that, but that has nothing to do with misogyny. its ego.

also, for every1, do u feel music needs a message to be good?

INDIE RAP LISTENERS = EGO?
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Sorrow on Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:30 pm

music doesn't need a message to be good, sometimes music with a good solid rhythm can be cool too
(don't really know if that's correct but I mean something cool and it repeats basically lol)

I agree on the 'fact' that most rap is 'retards attempting poetry'

and sometimes music is more engaging if you get the message behind it...
but I don't think it HAS to have a message.

I think...

oh.
Sorrow
Veteran
Veteran

Postby sidra on Tue May 02, 2006 4:02 am

Sorrow wrote:music doesn't need a message to be good, sometimes music with a good solid rhythm can be cool too
(don't really know if that's correct but I mean something cool and it repeats basically lol)

I agree on the 'fact' that most rap is 'retards attempting poetry'

You kinda just contradicted yourself there.

Ok guys, I'm just gonna throw a statement out there. All rock listeners are gay.

Oh and RSX, music doesn't need to have "good messages" and that doesn't make it good. And if you're talking about rap...it has more positive messages then rock.
sidra

Postby The Watcher on Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 pm

sidra wrote:All rock listeners are gay

DIE

Rap and Hip-Hop is the same thing to me, and I don't like either. But I don't know what OLD rap is like, which from what ppl said, is alot better than the crap of today...

I just needed to make my point.
The one and only anti-Interloper

This forum is an evil negativity-brewing hellhole, like all internet communities, and should be shut down...
The Watcher
Banned

Postby RSX WHEEEEEE on Tue May 02, 2006 8:46 pm

0_0

hmm i wonder what happened to the last guy who made broad generalizations bout people... (coughmebannedfromloperscough)
RSX WHEEEEEE
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Grizzly on Tue May 02, 2006 9:24 pm

Rap and hiphop turns people into complete morons. it's a fact.

For some reason, listning to the music makes their brains grown backwards, they competely lose their ability to present arguments, comprehend writen text longer then twenty words not invloving reference to sombodys genetalia (mkay, i know a lot of people with that problem, but thats OT) and generaly lose their ability to comunicate with others using text

apart from that they also tend to be competly unable to speak properly, and to find cloths of proper size

Another intresting detail is how they seem to think that after all above people are to concider them "cool"
they are a bit like myspace people, only they don't know they are unwanted annywhere

To finalize my harsh flaming, i woud like to qoute somone i can't recall right now, but i thought the qoute was worthwhile

"To make metal, you need to know how to play your instruments. To make Rap, you need to have had a bad youth"
Mapping for Empiresmod
Grizzly

PreviousNext

Return to Media