so you have invisible props? heres how to fix it.

Any aspects of level design for the Source engine.

so you have invisible props? heres how to fix it.

Postby mike-o on Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:54 pm

So youve placed your regular prop_physics or whatever in your map, but when you compile it, you dont see it. That is due to a resource-conserving feature called the "visibility sphere". When outside of the visibility sphere, you cannot see the prop. When you are in it - you guessed it - you can see it.

1. Right click your prop and click "properties". Notice the extremely small circle right under the chair's "axles" or whatever you want to call them - thats the visibility sphere.

2. Scroll down in the left side of the window to "Start Fade Dist". This defines how far away you need to be for the prop to be invisible. The higher (or lower if negative) the number is, the bigger the visibility sphere. It defaults to -1. We want no visibility sphere so that you can see the prop from anywhere on the map, so set this to zero.

3. The next is optional, the fade scale. This is basically a flag to determine whether or not the model fades out. DirectX7 cards automatically cause props to fade unless this flag is set to 0. Numbers smaller than 1 cause the prop to fade out at further distances, and greater than 1 cause it to fade out at closer distances. Setting it to zero turns off forcible fades, but adds to the budget.

And viola, it shows up in game. I hope this makes sense. If you get to be an advanced mapper, you will want to learn about when to use the visibilty sphere instead of just getting rid of it. But for now, youre OK.
Last edited by mike-o on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby YokaI on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:43 am

This is useful, but at the same time isnt :shock: :heart attack:

anyway, most of us good mappers know this (even i know this, and im not a good mapper)

They Really just neet to think about what "fade distance" means... :lol:

Anyway, although simple... diserves a stick.... does not diserve to be in tutorials
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dead-Inside on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:48 am

This is a problem you only have at one time in your mapping career (Without having the answer that is).

Also, nothing says you need to use fade distances to optimize your map, you can do just aswell without.
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:54 am

not the point...

This is a good sticky cause fad distances changes sometimes just by copying a model. really. So to get noobs to stop asking it you might as well sticky
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dead-Inside on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:58 am

Yes but the reason why it hasn't been done before (anywhere) is because the questions won't stop anyway. People who ask these questions usually aren't experienced enough to go look for the answer but rather just have it handed to them.
Dead-Inside
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cr4ig on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:36 am

Thx mike-o. I think this is useful, because the amount of times that I havehad people asking why they can't see there models. I'm sure Blink will put it up later.
Cr4ig

Postby mike-o on Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:01 am

Cr4ig wrote:Thx mike-o. I think this is useful, because the amount of times that I havehad people asking why they can't see there models. I'm sure Blink will put it up later.

Yea, i noticed the crazy amount of people asking this. You dont have to make it a sticky, but maybe lump it into the sticky already there. Or maybe make a sticky pertaining to nub questions. i dont know.

writing this was pretty fun, maybe ill make some tutorials for advanced / intermediate mappers.
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby RabidGoat on Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:59 pm

thanks for answering a question about fade values that I was afraid to ask. I thought it was useful.

Are there any stupid questions for HL2 level editing?

No.

Can I learn how to level edit from a foozeball table?

I stand corrected.

Your friendly neiborhood Hammer n00b-

Rabid Goat :?
RabidGoat
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:34 pm

ow but fade distances are really usefull, only more for static props and for those rooms you just can't optimize using hints and or areaportals
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby mike-o on Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:43 pm

zombie@computer wrote:ow but fade distances are really usefull, only more for static props and for those rooms you just can't optimize using hints and or areaportals

yea, at the end of this tutorial i said its important to know when to use visibility spheres once you really get into mapping.

i cant believe this isnt in the source common problems sticky *hint hint*!
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby miscreat on Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:02 pm

thanks had this problem before and had it again last night. now i know why. cheers :-)
miscreat
Regular
Regular

Postby mike-o on Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:56 pm

yea bro
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Blink on Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:18 am

Thx Mike
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby mike-o on Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:20 pm

rad i got stickied :)
mike-o
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Spartan on Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:57 am

I haven't bothered to read everyone's posts so I'm not sure if anybody has noted this yet. Another reason for not seeing models in a map can also be because they were deleted during the compile process. Check your compiling log incase. Some models must be used on dynamic entities such as a "prop_physics". I discovered this when I put some models into a map using the "prop_static" entitie.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Hammer Editor Help