Dimension Studios release: de_alps

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Postby Psy on Thu May 24, 2007 10:07 pm

DoD > CSS.

More fun and action-packed then taking a bag of cocaine to an old peoples' home to PARTY!
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SotaPoika on Fri May 25, 2007 5:51 am

This looks very very very good! I want to learn to make that kind of roads you made in your map and which are seen in cs_militia too.. Good job with this map! I definately download this!
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby aleksandr on Fri May 25, 2007 5:40 pm

renouf wrote:-How long did it take to make?

-Do you know of any servers running it?

-The initial version of the map was actually started exactly one year ago. However the real production started only last September when the map was redone from scratch.

-The two Dimension Studios server are currently running the map.
US: 72.232.146.242:27015
GB: 195.242.236.21:27025

Mr Happy wrote:There is only one bombsite, you should have labelled it "Bombsite" rather than "Bombsite A" (possible? I don't know anything about de_ mapping)

There are two bombsites. The main building near the CT spawn and the caves right under it labeled A and B respectively.

SotaPoika wrote:This looks very very very good! I want to learn to make that kind of roads you made in your map and which are seen in cs_militia too..

Aldez, the de_alps director and level designer actually made a tutorial on how to create curvy roads. I dont know if that is how the roads in militia are done, but that seems to be the most logical way. You can find the tutorial here: http://www.dimensionstudios.org/forum/i ... wtopic=912

Thanks for the comments and the spotlight everybody. :)
aleksandr

Postby nub on Fri May 25, 2007 9:37 pm

Me likes. :-D

Definitely reminds me of cs_militia. I kind of like it better. Good work DS.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby EagleStrike on Fri May 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Hey, are those waterfalls and water passages models or brushes? They look very detailed...
As I Walk Through The Valley Of Death, I Will Fear No Evil, Cos I'm The Meanest Fucker In The Valley...
EagleStrike
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby jmplayer on Sat May 26, 2007 1:27 am

Hey DimintionStudioes, is the curve road tutornal thing the best way to make curved roads?
[url='http://s341.photobucket.com/albums/o369/jmplayer_2008/']Working Title Orange Box Map Images[/url]

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/jmplayer/

Dread Alert map [WIP] First map beta.
jmplayer
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Psy on Sat May 26, 2007 9:28 am

The rotation angles are pretty complex.

You could always click the side faces of the circle and then push alt and click on the above face for a perfectly aligned texture.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BlekksPoncho on Sat May 26, 2007 10:39 am

That is some of the best displacement work I have ever seen, nice job guys, custom textures on the buildings?
-----------------------
I'm not drunk, I always eat plastic.
BlekksPoncho
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Bosco88 on Sat May 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Can anyone come play this on the DS US server? I am getting tired of playing with these bots. And I suggest you post this map around at a lot of places. It seems like people are joining the server and stop downloading the map once they see it will take so long. FPSBanana is fairly popular. And as far as the map goes, It looks beautiful, one of the best layouts. I am getting good FPS, just as good if not better than d2 with same specs. This map would be fun to scrim on. Or at least play with some other people, so join 72.232.146.242:27015! seems like its de_alps all day long.
Bosco88
Regular
Regular

Postby rickets007 on Sun May 27, 2007 5:15 pm

The map is now in rotation on the FSF public server.

72.232.193.62:27015

Enjoy!
rickets007

Postby sir_frags on Sun May 27, 2007 9:32 pm

<<"I am getting tired of playing with these bots. And I suggest you post this map around at a lot of places. It seems like people are joining the server and stop downloading the map once they see it will take so long.">>

Get used to this...people here spend alot of time making beautiful pieces of art that few people are going to play long. I'm still looking for the FSF server above that said he was running the map. I even added the IP to my favorites but haven't seen the server show up one time today in my list. (I didn't try connecting through the console though.)

Regarding the dload time, I have a super fast ftp server and 8mb dsl dload connection. With bzip, the map only took 112 seconds for me to dload in game. That's less than 3 minutes. But I don't know how many people have fast ftp servers and 6+mb dload speeds. 3 minutes to a kid can seem like 3 hours :)

This map is already on fpsbanana, which should help spark "gameplay" interest. De_lost2 is at 7,000 dloads there now after 3 months and their "top maps" usually generate 2,000 - 3,000 dload per month. De-Alps is already at 700 after just 5 days, so it will surely be a top map. But again, being a top map there matters little if it ain't being played.

Now to the map producer, the US dimension studios server running the map will not let me dload it. You need to check to make sure people are able to dload this thing from your server. I tried 3 times but the dload would not even start. Also, I am shocked you guys didn't bzip this for your server. You got to at least do that if you want people to dload this map.

Don't take anything I said the wrong way or take it personally. I really am trying to help you.

*Frags*

EDIT: if u dont know how to bzip, i can upload your map bzipped to my ftp server and let u dload it. Let me know. wish i had thought of this before I deleted the bzip from my server :)
sir_frags
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby fonfa on Sun May 27, 2007 10:25 pm

i have a small problem with the performance there. it sure is a hell of a map, but the trees just make my pc fart. the static prop rendering load is WAY higher than cs_militia, which is a bit over the top imo.

the main problem are the trees. the models should be clusters of trees instead of individual ones.
fonfa
Regular
Regular

Postby Forceflow on Tue May 29, 2007 9:40 am

This sure looks like the alps in their full glory. Lovely displacement work.
Forceflow
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby UberSpeed on Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:50 am

veeeeeeery nice :D

hi guys :)
UberSpeed
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Knights on Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:57 pm

UberSpeed wrote:veeeeeeery nice :D

hi guys :)
You idiot! This thread was ment to DIE! :-D BTW it's interesting how nobody is playing this map on their servers, I saw one but it was full of bots :?
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase