My website!

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

My website!

Postby jaddorii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi! I just found a guy who is willing to host my and my friends website on his server :) But the thing is i think i've kinda rushed into it, cuz i dont really know much about coding for websites and so on. But i have some basic skills with the ActionScprit in Flash 8 and so i have made some simple buttons wich leads to other pages and so on. What I want to know is if i have to code the page in anyway for it to be "hostable" and also i want to know to code a "Search service" where users can search for thing in the site. All help is appriciated

~J

Ps. Sry for missspelss ;)
Dom Dom Dom... another one bites de_dust
jaddorii
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby BlekksPoncho on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:43 pm

I would say, just make a nice html & css site rather than flash something. If you need help I could do a site for you, it will be good practice for me :).

For a search you will need to learn a lang like php or perl, or just get a pre-made google one or something.
-----------------------
I'm not drunk, I always eat plastic.
BlekksPoncho
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby jaddorii on Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Oh okey. Well i need flash for the graphics. I could really need ur help mate :D U have msn?
jaddorii
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby academ1c on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 am

Have you got Dreamweaver? I haven't used Flash or Dreamweaver for a while but you can just export .swf files and embed them into an html document. I don't know how to do this in HTML (strange, isn't it, how I can code PHP better than HTML) but Dreamweaver just has an import from flash button or something like that. Then you can just get an FTP client I think to upload the HTML files to your webspace.
academ1c

Postby Psy on Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:39 am

You don't need any flash animations to make a good website and you don't need a search engine unless your website is poorly designed and difficult to navigate.
Psy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Blink on Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:05 am

Psycho wrote:You don't need any flash animations to make a good website and you don't need a search engine unless your website is poorly designed and difficult to navigate.

Unless it is stacked full of content, searching is easier then.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby SlappyBag on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:37 pm

If the guy who is hosting this for you is called Blink, hes got some lovely templates you can use.
SlappyBag
Veteran
Veteran

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:44 pm

learn to script html. its quite easy to learn, and once you get to know the basics, its pretty fun to create your own websites. Offcourse, you can use html-editors, but please, dont take the easy senile-old-grandpa-wanting-to-make-a-website-about-his-granddaughter-route and learn html. Learn to write it in notepad, there isnt a single way to make a website faster than notepad.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:21 pm

zombie@computer wrote:Learn to write it in notepad, there isnt a single way to make a website faster than notepad.

Never used to think that back in the day, but with the current CSS savvy way of building sites it is 100% true. Ditch GUI HTML editors and go by hand, much easier.

On that note, google Notepad++ as this is a superb tool and makes HTML coding much easier to manage.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Re: My website!

Postby punky on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm

some basic scripts in flash 8 like onpress gotoandplay and that kind of stuff are enough to desing a cool website, if you still dont know how you should start just search through some tutorials and you will have a good looking website very soon :D
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Garrador on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:49 pm

yeah. Writing html in i.e dreamweaver is "out of control". You have no good view and space so to speak. Too many compressed windows and shit.

I use microsoft visual web dev for css and other languages like javascripts and such. Since my css skills are poor just now, I need the help the program gives :P
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BlekksPoncho on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:01 pm

Blink wrote:
zombie@computer wrote:Learn to write it in notepad, there isnt a single way to make a website faster than notepad.

Never used to think that back in the day, but with the current CSS savvy way of building sites it is 100% true. Ditch GUI HTML editors and go by hand, much easier.

On that note, google Notepad++ as this is a superb tool and makes HTML coding much easier to manage.

I don't agree with this, I agree with the fact that it's built-in browser (Design) is a load of shit. But it is great for syntax highlighting (I know Notepad++ can do this), but also the download and upload is so easy it beats the shit out of the competition.

I used to use SmartFTP for my downloads and uploads but now using Dreamweaver is so easy, all the files are there in their folder, you just click the arrow and it is uploaded.
-----------------------
I'm not drunk, I always eat plastic.
BlekksPoncho
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby jaddorii on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am

Well i've learned some HTML now but i dont know how to make it as neat as a "normal" site would be :/ Looks really noobish :( I also learned a bit CSS
jaddorii
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Return to Web Design & Development