Is Single Sign On / Common Logon Possible?

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Is Single Sign On / Common Logon Possible?

Postby Puffenstuff on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Is Single Sign On / Common Logon Possible, or should I check back in five years? :?

I am in the process of setting up a web server with Mantis, Mediawiki, Subversion, maybe a forum.(See the thread below this) That is four login pages. It is not a really big deal, but is there a way to create a single login page that gives access to the site and all of the web apps?

I have been gallivanting around the internet and I can't seem to get a definitive answer. I know it is done by large institutions. However I can't find out how they do it. My best guess is that It requires lots of custom codding because the web app developers have not settled on a standard yet. Am I right?
Puffenstuff
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:53 pm

Offcourse its possible, you just need to know how each login procedure works and merge all the code into one page.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cypher543 on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:54 pm

I bet all of those have OpenID plugins. If not, it should be fairly easy to build your own OpenID system for each of those applications, since it would only require an extra database field and some edits to the authentication code.
cypher543
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby dissonance on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:57 pm

And please don't store passwords in plaintext.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Puffenstuff on Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:37 am

I declare Interlopers the greatest forum on the internet:smt026

Seriously, I have posted on the boards for most of the apps mentioned, asking for advice on how to integrate logins. So far y'all are the only ones who have replied. I looked at OpenID. Really cool stuff. I don't know how I missed it. But then I started looking at the source for the login pages and found they weren't as horribly cryptic as I thought. So I think I will try to put together my own login page.
Thanks all.
Puffenstuff
Regular
Regular

Return to Web Design & Development