Best $10 Web-Host For A Portfolio

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Best $10 Web-Host For A Portfolio

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:33 pm

So. I have been looking everywhere. when I say everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE. Everytime I find a good deal from someone, I look it up and its reviews say it has some horrible problems. The only place I know is reliable, is yahoo, but I can't stand their site builder and ftp garbage (Though I tried it several years ago, not recently)

Originally I was going to go with 1 & 1, but after seeing this: http://webhostinggeeks.com/user-reviews ... ?item_id=6 i'm a little afraid.

Next stop, freewebs. I've always liked free-webs, and its paintstakingly simple, but apparently customers are saying that over the past couple months, there have been some huge down-time problems, and web page glitches. This was confirmed when it took over 30 seconds to load their own example pages.

I've also looked at Blue-Host, Hosting Pad, Dot5Hosting. All bad reviews.

Right now, i'm seriously consider http://www.anhosting.net . It would be awesome if any of you guys could try to dig up some reviews on them, as I only found 1 , but it came from a reliable guy with a huge amount of sites, etc.

If that fails, the only places I haven't checked are LunarPages and Brinkster.

I REALLY need help.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Re: Best $10 Web-Host For A Portfolio

Postby Blink on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

You need to realise that people only go on the internet to sya bad things about a host, the happy customers just get on with it.

I can vouch for http://ace-host.net/ as a reliable host with top class support. Ultimately you just need to take the plunge. All the testamonials are real as I've added one in there at some point.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:43 pm

I just read the entire AN hosting terms of service, the only distressing thing I see is that if your site takes up more then 10% of the servers bandwith/memory they reserve the right to contact you, and if you do not upgrade to a "pro-rate" your site will be canceled. While I WISH my portfolio/blog would ever get that popular, I don't think it well ever become an issue.
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby Penney on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:29 pm

I think trying out any of them is better then not having anything on the net at all at this point. as long as you don't get tied down with some kind of annual contract/subscription
Penney

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Well, I think i'm going to take on for the team and sign up. I've double checked the terms of service, no fine print, or kinky things, everything is spelled out in plain English. They support cgi, php, ruby, and fantastico so I should have no problem getting the programs I want.

Well, I guess i'll have to post a review on them after I sign up =)
ghost12332

Postby ghost12332 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 pm

Just contacted there live chat about some questions I had. The rep's were extremely courteous, and I was only on hold for about 2 minutes. They answered my question about example sites, and how often they do backups of Cpanel, And gave a fairly competent answer when I tried to puzzle the rep using big words, like Frontpage, Dreamweaver, CSS, Javascript, etc, which normally causes incompetent tech people to panic and die.

I would rate their Tech Support 4/5. Good job AN!
ghost12332

Postby Blink on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:37 pm

As long as you don't whore the server CPU with tonnes of SQL queries for example, you should be fine. A blog is fairly lightweight.

I host lopers on one of their dedicated boxes and I've always liked their prompt tech support, good luck with them.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Return to Web Design & Development