Portfolio forums suggestion.

Comments & Suggestions about Interlopers.net

Portfolio forums suggestion.

Postby nub on Sat May 03, 2008 2:35 pm

I've proposed an idea for the portfolio section of these forums. I thought real hard on this idea and I want your feedback, especially you, Blink, since you run this joint.

Obviously, the portfolio forums act like normal forums, outdated portfolios will get moved down the list from inactivity. I've proposed an idea that would make it fair for everyone! Instead of having it act like normal threads, maybe have it act like a showcase of all the members who have made a portfolio?

In that sense, I mean have a well-organized list of the members with portfolio threads, all basically "stickied" so they don't move down the list or up the list and such. Organizing them could be as simple as alphabetical/alphanumerical and the like.

This way, every person who has a portfolio won't be left in the dust just because no one has posted in their thread for a long time. The portfolio threads are not ok to be bumped, if I am correct? I think that this rule makes it hard for people to get noticed who have a portfolio with good stuff, but it hasn't been posted in for ages. Updating it simply requires editing the first post and adding more content, but this doesn't bring it back up to the top of the list. The good thing is there isn't two pages yet, so no one will go completely unnoticed, but this is soon to come.

Hell, making the threads act almost like a blog would be pretty cool, but then again, that's more website-like, and Interlopers does provide the ability for users to get a little website for their work. In that case, maybe a list of people who have websites that take users to their website? So say my name was on the list, someone clicks it, then it would forward them to my website.

Another idea I have is the ability for users to rank portfolios based on the provided content, layout, etc. These ranks could be displayed by the user's name to gain reader appeal by people. But the problem with this is it may defeat the purpose of fairness.

Let me know what you all think.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Portfolio forums suggestion.

Postby Blink on Sat May 03, 2008 4:27 pm

I like your idea and know what you mean, however they still need to be sorted somehow, even if it isn't by inactivity. Basically someone has to be at the bottom.

What if you had a really active portfolio but you were called Wills for example, we'd never see you.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby vcool on Sat May 03, 2008 4:47 pm

Blink wrote:I like your idea and know what you mean, however they still need to be sorted somehow, even if it isn't by inactivity. Basically someone has to be at the bottom.

That's exactly what I was going to say. Take into account the fact my name starts on a "-v" ;) :P

Wouldn't hurt me, since I don't have a portfolio, but quite a few people here have their forum names starting on the letters from the end of the alphabet.

I think the way it is right now is fine, for the following reason - those people whose portfolio gets updated frequently are at the top. This shows to someone seeking for "employees", that they are very active, andcare to keep their portfolio updated.

I don't mean to say that half the people here are lazy, but I was just saying that as it is right now is more useful rather than the method you suggested.

/2c

Neighborhood Forum Elitist
vcool
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat May 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Well I mean not everyone can make new content and update their portfolio at that quick of a rate to keep it lively. Some people (like me) have a breakthrough of a bunch of new content and update their thread, but for no purpose because it's still going to remain at the bottom of the list.

Perhaps maybe a thing on the main page that randomly chooses one of the threads and advertises it? That way everyone has the chance to get some attention.

I thank you for your honest and thoughtful feedback, by the way. Thanks much.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat May 03, 2008 10:39 pm

nub wrote:
I thank you for your honest and thoughtful feedback, by the way. Thanks much.

Then your sig told me you hated all of us and I laughed.

Maybe, if it's possible, there could be a system where, and only in the portfolio section (or wherever else it's needed), every time someone edits a post the thread gets bumped. So every time nub, for example, adds new pictures or video or whatever, people will know. And maybe only when the owner of the portfolio edits a post does the thread get bumped, so that it doesn't get bumped unnecessarily.
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby 1447 on Sat May 03, 2008 10:46 pm

Why not use a sorting system, like the memberlist does? By default it could be set to sort portfolios after latest action, like all the other forums, but you could also choose to sort them by name, most replies, longest first post, etc.

That way, everyone wins. Man I'm smart:)
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sun May 04, 2008 3:52 am

Yeah both those ideas sound pretty good, it's just assuming this isn't hard to actually implement, and if Blink even wants to, or agrees with it.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 am

If the layout of the page was changed completely, so that there were multiple columns instead of just one, that might not be a problem? They could also be organized by role, eg. Programmer, level designer, artist.

Might also be interesting if the portfolio people could upload a little thumbnail to put next to their thread.

But this goes beyond forum coding I guess.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jest@ on Fri May 16, 2008 11:35 pm

Fairest method of sorting IMHO would be by last edit to the top post. I agree last comment isn't always the best method.

The biggest problem with them at the moment, IMHO, is that for someone who put up a mediocre portfolio and got mixed feedback, but has improved it significantly since, their portfolio thread has a load of 'meh' comments at the top :D I know people looking at the portfolios wouldn't care that much, but it doesn't give the best impression if your peers all appear to think you're middle-of-the-road :D
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun May 18, 2008 2:23 am

Could the same system that the tutorials run on be used? So that the portfolio has it's own page and the comments are linked to at the bottom?
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Sun May 18, 2008 4:13 pm

What I think we can go for is the displaying of portfolios in the tutorial format as suggested but also to have an index page of portfolios that can be sorted in various ways.

I'll mention the requirements to zombie at some point, but right now I'm working on pushing the new tips page out the door.

I'll keep you all updated as things develop :-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby jister on Sun May 18, 2008 4:45 pm

maybe a "in the spotlight" would also be cool... and as i mentioned before to blink, putting it up there in with the menu.
i know you said that the forum is more about HL2 editing, and like the sub title mentions, news & tutorials. but since Interloper IS the best forum for HL2 and has the highest quality of everything i've seen done with source and even 3 or 4 members made it into the industry partial thx to lopers (as they state themselfs) i don't really see why the protfolio's wouldn't deserve to get more attention. as lopers could be (if it isn't already) the first portal where companies would start looking in search of new talent...?
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Feedback Corner