Automated user

Comments & Suggestions about Interlopers.net

Automated user

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:10 pm

Basically, its a user-that-doesn't-exist, that posts after anyone that posts a compile log. This user will scan the log for errors and comment about it, eg:

bot wrote:I've ran your log through the error checker and found

(list of errors)

This user will also comment on people who post multiple logs, warn about people using the wrong parameters ('i see you are using vvis -fast, which is nice for practive runs, but shouldn't be used on final compiles because...) etc.

This is not hard to make. In fact, 99% already exists on the error page, its just a matter of

-creating [log][/log] bbcodes so the bot will know what a log is and what isn't
-create a user (which is easy enough, you all have done that already)
-add some checks for things that arent really errors but good to comment about (see above)

and thats it. Ive been experimenting and its really just as easy as im saying :)

Just wondering if anyone thinks this is actually a good idea? its not better than the current error-checker, just on a more convenient place (the forum). esp considering the fact a lot of people post logs with errors the error-checker should have picked up. Offcourse people will need to always use the bbcodes above to post their log, or the bot will not work, and then there's always the fact that people who aren't lazy would have already googled the error :P

Any thoughts?
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Automated user

Postby Megadude on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:20 pm

Sounds like a good idea in principle, but I think the forgetful people who post their logs here without running them through the checker first, while most likely also forget to use the right code, (will use quotes or just copy/paste straight into post instead). If they remember to use the new log bbcode, then they would have remembered to run the log through the compiler itself. Although that multiple log warning will come in very useful, then people may then consider that everyone else doesn't automatically know which log is the right one to check.
Wrathborne 711 wrote:OH MY GOD.........MEXICANS!

End of Humanity - beta version 3.0 released!
Megadude
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mat_de_b on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:02 pm

surely you could just make it search for a couple of strings present in every log? i mean they dont exactly look like your average post...
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 pm

I'm loving it, saves having to say....

have you checked it with the errors page?
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 pm

You're forgetting one important factor: People are stupid. They will most likely not use the [log] parameters, and neither will they understand that the user replying is a bot. You're going to get one hell of a job explaining that to people.

But other than that, it's a pretty supa dupa idea. I'd say, go for it. Hopefully, they will learn eventually, just like most people by now know that Tutorial is not a real user...
Veteran
Veteran

Postby theblahman on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:05 pm

1447 wrote:just like most people by now know that Tutorial is not a real user...

:shock:

WHAT?!

I think it's a great idea zombie!
I design (v4.1 released 23/2) and Tweet.
theblahman
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mephasto on Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:08 pm

SO THAT WHY he/she wont answer to my "lets have sexytime" privat messages.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Feedback Corner