3%
Punky
4%
Sathor
21%

Total votes : 78

Map Battle 30 - Vote and Final Images

Postby Jest@ on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:59 am

So, the winter holidays are drawing to an end. How much did you eat?. These busy little mappers had no time to eat, they were to busy mapping hard...right?

Here you have it, our faithful entrants' Christmas/Winter/Holiday scenes, in all their glory. What better way to welcome the new year than to crown one of them better than the rest? That's what this vote is for! Vote for which ever one you like best overall, be it for overall awesomeness, technical skill, detail, atmosphere, cleverness, etc...

While (if) if I've got your attention, I'd got a few announcement. Firstly, there'll be a new battle starting in a few days. Secondly, there'll be a slightly different, special kind of battle coming soon after that :) I'll put up a schedule soon, once my loyal minion 904 and I have hacked out the details. Third, No-one got me a new PC for Christmas, so you're all going to hell. Not pleased.

As always, let us know your thoughts on the map battles in the suggestions thread. If I've forgotten anyone, or if there's anything else you wanna talk to me about (well, within reason) PM me.

On with the pics! As always, they're also available to view in sexy photobucket album form too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

blarg

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Dark Soul

jenkins_08

MELVIn

meotwister

no00dylan

punky

Sathor

Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Map Battle 30 - Vote and Final Images

Postby Habboi on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:07 am

Blarg's was pretty cool although it's basic and didn't catch my vote sadly. Atmosphere wise it won but it's a shame it wasn't more detailed.

MELVIn's is awesome and made of win and I am not going to vote for him simply because I'm sure many will.

I would have voted for meotwister but I already did in the other competiton...

Same with Punky.

Now it's either Dark Soul or Sathor. Well Dark Soul had a nice idea and it was well put together although to be picky I have to say those grubs would not be glowing if they are dead and impaled etc and where's the power line for the traffic light on top? A simple wire would have sufficed but the main let down is the quality of the graphics (Did you take the pic in EP2, max?)...

So the winner for me is Sathor because it's really nice to look at and I love the custom models? textures on the house. So congrats.

Oh and jenkins_08, yours was pretty good but the sky was a strange choice.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby PaulH on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:12 am

Good entries guys, i though Melvins was a cool, kinda crazy concept, and i liked Meo's but as with Habboi i aleady voted for his entry in the other comp, my vote went to Sathor anyway, a nice little scene :)
- Level Designer - Crytek UK -
http://paulhaynes.carbonmade.com
PaulH
Crytek UK

Postby Dark soul on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 am

[quote="Habboi"]
Now it's either Dark Soul or Sathor. Well Dark Soul had a nice idea and it was well put together although to be picky I have to say those grubs would not be glowing if they are dead and impaled etc and where's the power line for the traffic light on top? A simple wire would have sufficed but the main let down is the quality of the graphics (Did you take the pic in EP2, max?)...

[/quote]
If you look closely there is a wire going from the generator to the traffic light. As for the graphics, I did set the setting on max.
Dark soul
Regular
Regular

Postby MELVIn on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 am

Jest@ wrote:Third, No-one got me a new PC for Christmas, so you're all going to hell. Not pleased.

I did, but it was so awesome that Fed-Ex believed it to be a nuclear weapon, and thus, smashed it. :(
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby ghost12332 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:21 am

I voted melvin.

<3
Ryder: i see ghost as a evil scientest who wants to kill everyone for the good of humanity
ghost12332

Postby jenkins_08 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:46 am

Habboi wrote:Oh and jenkins_08, yours was pretty good but the sky was a strange choice.

Cheers... It's from Left 4 dead "Dead Air"
Hard to find a decent skybox with a night sky but still giving the impression of overcast or snowy weather.. If i had more time i might have edited the skybox to make the orange parts blue but i did create some custom textures so yeah it's enough because i know out of the other entrants i wont be winning this one ;-)

I voted for punky because its different and has a sort of, depressant factor about it and i like it :D

blarg - would of liked to of seen more from this map...

Dark Soul - awesome idea with the grub tree, innovation is always good

MELVIn - Sunny sky and snow lol... nothing more to say :P

meotwister - that first screenshot is far superior to the others, as if they were 2 separate maps :o

no00dylan - would of liked to see inside the church man

Sathor - same as no00dylan, would of liked to see inside, fantastic forest surroundings though :-)

thanks for the 1 person so far who voted for me

Peace, Jenkins
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Sacul15 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:57 am

blarg - I like the effect you have going. Very cool, just seems a bit bare.
Dark Soul - Neat idea with the grubs. I can't pin it down, but something doesn't seem to match.
jenkins_08 - Well done! Captures the "Christmas feel" very well. I just didn't think the first screenshot did the other two justice.
MELVIn - I am blown away. Definitely earned my vote. If that production line happens in real time, you should make a video and post it for epic winnage.
meotwister - Probably my second pick. That lake is pure awesomeness. And I certainly admire a map that uses pipes correctly, since I am always scared of placing them.
no00dylan - Another solid entry. If you want my honest opinion, though, I think you should have left out the log and crow. They're kind of ugly so close to the camera (and that's Source's fault, not yours).
punky - I like it, but only the last screenshot seems "Christmassy". I also noticed two flaws. One, if they have a fire going, shouldn't they be in the sun? And two, why is there a black guy just sitting while there is a perfectly good watermelon just a few feet away? (I kid, I kid)
Sathor - Probably my third choice. I really love both the gingerbread house and the surrounding landscape. Their color schemes just seem to clash a bit.

Well done participants, and congratulations to the winner. Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone!
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby no00dylan on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:07 am

I voted for Blarg, the color scheme for me just seems quite dramatic, plus all the other entrants are getting enough votes as is, I believe Blarg deserved at least one.

Blarg: Next time add more detail, I know it sounds funny, because my map lacks detail, but I was on vacation and never finished it :). I feel if you had added more detail, certain props would really bring out the dramatic feel that the color palette is obviously going for. Work hard, and please join the next map battle.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 904 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:49 am

I haven't made up my mind yet, so just some random thoughts:
I like the non-standard approaches that punky and Dark Soul have taken, MELVin's stands out as well. Sathor and meotwister stand out for completeness of the scene and beauty in execution. no00Dylan's is somewhere in between, too bad you had no time to finish it. Jenkins' is nice, but the indoor-shot doesn't appeal to me. Blarg should have had more definition.
I'll hold off my vote for a few days..
Design Section Moderator

Postby punky on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:03 am

First of all; Sacul, I know that the first two shots have nothing to do with Christmas at all, but I put a lot of work in the whole building, so it would be a shame not showing the first two shots, the whole idea behind my entry is shown in the 3rd shot :)
Darksoul's: I love the concept, but I don't like the lighting, and I'm a bit bored of seeing the hl2 textures over and over again in entries...
Meo's: Just as in Srredfire's battle, your entry is really good, escpecially your first shot looks great, but I know that you will get plenty votes, so I didn't vote for you :)
Sathor's: Another great and original concept, and well executed too, so you've got my vote :)
Melvin's: If you keep getting votes like this you'll be the winner, so my vote wouldn't have made much difference, and there are other people with great entries too, once again your idea and execution of it is really good, only remark I have is that the background is a bit empty (only snow displacements) but that's probably because you didn't had enough time?
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby waisted menkey on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:57 pm

props to all. all entries were great, even if not all were "warm and fuzzy".

Sathor get's my vote.
{insert signature here}
waisted menkey
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ziplock on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:29 pm

Either Jenkins or Dark Soul.
Dark Soul's was funny because if the grubs, yet seemed... too bland.
Jenkins'(s) was real funny, and it was really detailed in the last two.

So Jenks, you got my vote.
ziplock
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Kyl' on Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:30 pm

Waw ! :)
Definitely some great entries !

no00dylan, when I watch your map, I imagine zombies coming in from everywhere, a smoker hidden on the roof :-D Your map would fit perfectly in a Left 4 Dead campaign ! I'm especially amazed by the quality of your fog and dark atmosphere :)

meotwister, well, I've already seen these screens somewhere :wink:

MELVIn, excellent idea and representation of this idea :) Makes me smile :)

Sathor, your screens are a real beauty ! They would fit perfectly to tell an imaginary story for children :-)

jenkins_08, you could have got rid of that first screen, it doesn't look so good (or you should have add a 3Dskybox). By the way, your two following entries are the most representative of the christmas spirit to me. The atmosphere in the third screen looks so warm. I would enjoy beeing there with friends or family, eating some fine meals and beers - sharing a good time. You got my vote :-)

Congratulation everyone !
Kyl'
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby jenkins_08 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:02 pm

ziplock wrote:Either Jenkins or Dark Soul.
Dark Soul's was funny because if the grubs, yet seemed... too bland.
Jenkins'(s) was real funny, and it was really detailed in the last two.

So Jenks, you got my vote.

Kyl' wrote:Waw ! :)
Definitely some great entries !

jenkins_08, you could have got rid of that first screen, it doesn't look so good (or you should have add a 3Dskybox). By the way, your two following entries are the most representative of the christmas spirit to me. The atmosphere in the third screen looks so warm. I would enjoy beeing there with friends or family, eating some fine meals and beers - sharing a good time. You got my vote :-)

Congratulation everyone !

Thank you both very much :D

I tried a 3D sky but it was fail because i started the whole map on a mis-oriented grid, meaning 0,0,0 was definitely not the center of the map so i had troubles from the word go with the 3D sky.
I wanted to add citizens aswell but thought the Gnomes looking inside to an empty, almost ghostlike house had more feel to it imho :-)

Congrats to everyone who entered, Thank you all again, and punky if you can turn that into a single player story map, i know i certainly would play it Image
jenkins_08
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Next

Return to Design Section