Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby 904 on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm

After putting a couple of 'main' themes from the suggestions thread through a vote, I (Jest@ where are you?) have decided that the next battle will be about
abandonment

Which is the act of abandoning, can be someplace or someone (!). Show us abandonment, the reasons, what is being abandoned and why, and how did this happen? Try to evoke an emotion. To help you: make it personal, what happens if you have to leave all you've got behind? What happens to you when you are abandoned?

But wait? Not abandoned? We voted for abandoned!
Well, that would have been too easy ;)
We all have Euthanasia, Opacity, Abandoned.ru and Abandoned Places (which is probably one of the oldest of it's kind) in our bookmarks, right? And if that's not the case, we can always visit the Urban Ruins thread in the Level Design help forum right here on Interlopers... Maybe for this battle you need to turn to the 2009 world press photo winners gallery for inspiration (that's just a start though).

The deadline will be 4 weeks from now on Sunday 29th March. As usual, the close will be at the end of that day, at mignight GMT; for the closing times around the world, check here.

All the usual rules apply: Three screenshots max; from an official Valve Source engine game; custom content more than welcome. You can find the full rules here. If you've got any questions about the theme, the rules or the battles generally, either post in this thread or PM me or Jest@.

So get cracking, post plenty of W.I.P. shots and don't forget to mark your final screenshots.
Good luck to all. And don't abandon these map battles ;)

A final note:
Thanks to all people that created an entry for Battle 32. I'm sorry to see that the number of shots marked as final was too little to take it to a voting stage (3 entrants would be sort of a minimum..) But don't throw away your .vmfs, they might come in handy in the future.
Design Section Moderator

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby KILLA-COW on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Not trying to be a dick, but this is hardly a theme? I mean it's a bit of a copout, and it's almost IDENTICAL to "ruined" and "beautiful decay" etc etc etc etc.

I think when people voted abandoned they expect a specific map battle within that bracket of abandonment....
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Habboi on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:40 pm

Hm not really interesting. I loved the comic idea although it should be a full issue. Well good luck to those that enter this.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mr-Jigsaw on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:56 am

I assume what is meant is not simply: "Hay guys! Today, I want you to make an abandoned palce! No go!!11" But instead of simply hammering out an aging apartment building, you tell a story with it. You see the interior of a high-rise apartment. The glass is mostly gone, the carpet torn up, the paint is peeling, there's a pamphlet on the floor saying something about "condemned" or "new projects", and out the broken window, in the distance, you see the shining, brand new, towering tenements that drew everyone away from this part of town, a far cry from the old, decay of the past.

You know, something like that, which I believe is much better than simply saying, "Take a building and make it old!" You have to consider: why?
Mr-Jigsaw
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby mky on Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 am

I wonder if i can post the hundreds of maps that i myself have 'abandoned'...

:P

I'll try to produce something for this battle.
Last edited by mky on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
mky
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:37 am

It's boring, but I am still going to do this.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:52 am

Mr-Jigsaw wrote:I assume what is meant is not simply: "Hay guys! Today, I want you to make an abandoned palce! No go!!11" But instead of simply hammering out an aging apartment building, you tell a story with it. You see the interior of a high-rise apartment. The glass is mostly gone, the carpet torn up, the paint is peeling, there's a pamphlet on the floor saying something about "condemned" or "new projects", and out the broken window, in the distance, you see the shining, brand new, towering tenements that drew everyone away from this part of town, a far cry from the old, decay of the past.

You know, something like that, which I believe is much better than simply saying, "Take a building and make it old!" You have to consider: why?

That's the way I interpreted it. I'll be entering this one.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:42 am

I'm sorry but this isn't that great of a map battle theme. It's been done before, even though you tried to make it more complicated. Try keeping it simple guys, it's the reason why Streetview didn't do too well either. :?
MaK

Postby Meotwister on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:45 am

Yes this one actually asks you upfront to have an intended evoked emotion rather than make a dirty parking garage/apartment/warehouse.

I wouldn't mind entering this one if I can scrape up some time for it.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby Phott on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 am

I first thought that the results of the poll was pretty boring, but now I really like it. I'm entering this one.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BubbleQ on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:09 am

I will enter too. I think it is a good theme if every entry will make a little story whit it. :D
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby 1447 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:39 am

Well this sounds rather interesting. If I haven't been killed by homeworks by next week, I may actually enter. But I've been saying that for the past 5 battles, so I guess we'll have to see...
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:40 am

I interpret the theme like the others here do, I will be in. Hoping to get it finished this time :lol:
Sathor

Postby Darkstar on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Mind if i join in with my noobish mapping skills?
I tryed mapping a small cave this afternoon, i kinda started with the idea of a abandoned mining cave with an old D.O.G unit in but then i looked at the rules and found no Gmod ragdolls ^^ tis not fair :D Anywhos i kinda need something in it to make it looked more abandoned, but here it is so far:

EDIT* sorry its a bit small!
EDIT2* there is a another picture of the caved in mine entrace to the cavern but uploadings being annoying

The lighting needs a little work in the corners, at the moment ive got an env cubemaps pointing to the east, south, north, west, up, below displacements and a light (plain light entity) with purple hax for the crystal, should i be using a dynamic or light_spot for the lighting or anything else?
Advice will be very much appreciated ^^ :smt006
Darkstar
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Phott on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Gmod ragdolls = Posing the ragdolls in Gmod

You can still put a prop_ragdoll with the model of DOG in there.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Design Section