Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Your chance to get creative and take part in the various design challenges

Moderators: 904, Zecrah

Re: Map Battle 33 - Abandonment

Postby Biological-Bum on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 pm

I think I'll try my luck in this one. Wonder if Cremator or Master Donut are going to enter.
A WIP Single Player Mod
Biological-Bum
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:35 am

Oh man, I haven't mapped in so long. My map probably will lose. Ah, but what the hell. Here ya go guys, whaddya think so far? It's about maybe 2 and a half hours work... :D

By elv02 at 2009-03-03
By elv02 at 2009-03-03
By elv02 at 2009-03-03

Also, how do I get the props to light properly? Even the static debris ones are in full sunlight but appear as if there is no light hitting them. I can't seem to find an answer to this anywhere on the web.

Thanks,

Edit: Crap, realized the floating shovel too late... Fixed in-game.
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby MELVIn on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:12 am

There we go. Got a nice atmosphere going on.

Expect it to be something different though. I'm not just making something run down and old... that's way to generic for my taste.
Interlopers.net steam-chat.
Come on in and ask all your level-design questions, or discuss games.
MELVIn
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:23 am

Very nice! The only thing I don't like is the weeds growing in the middle of solid pavement. I know there are cracks and such but either reduce the amount of plants or add more cracks.

Otherwise, looking good! :D
"Hello, again, and welcome to the Interlopers Enrichment Center. Your account has been proccesed. Please proceed into 'section name, here' and we will start the test...
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby F0xHunter on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:51 pm

I'll join this one. 'Cause I really don't have anything to do right now...
STARS_Gavyn wrote:drink sperm and die shithead fucker.

F0xHunter
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby punky on Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

You sure have a nice atmosphere going on Melvin :) nothing to add yet apart from the plants growing on the path to the building, instead of removing them you could also use some grass paint alpha to give the path a bit of an overgrown look...
Just a suggestion though...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ad_hominem on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Right, Hammer issues seem to be assuaged for the time being, and I've found something to base my ideas upon.

So I'm in.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:39 pm

Looks like a pretty cool reference pic hominem, but has anyone found a solution to my lighting issue? I still can't seem to find anything to fix the weird prop lighting issues. It especially looks bad on the saws etc and such.
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Phott on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Elv02 wrote:Looks like a pretty cool reference pic hominem, but has anyone found a solution to my lighting issue? I still can't seem to find anything to fix the weird prop lighting issues. It especially looks bad on the saws etc and such.

Do you actually have any lights in there or just a light_env? Might help if there's more light, just a guess, I really have no idea.

I got a new idea for this so I remade my old crappy idea. ^^
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:09 pm

Ya, I have just the light_environment, that's probably it right there now that I think about it, I'll try throwing in a light somewhere to test.

Thanks!

Edit: Nope, didn't work. I think I'm going to scope out another idea... I'll keep the vmf close at hand though.
Last edited by Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:13 pm

Elv02 aren't you essentially copying that map of like an abandoned basement I saw a while back, looks awful lot like that's where you are getting your inspiration from?
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:24 pm

No, I got it from a reference picture mostly. Here, let me upload the pic, I saved it. One sec.

EDIT: Alright, I googled "abandoned" and this was the first image I saw.

By elv02, shot with Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL at 2009-03-04
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby korge on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:05 pm

that looks like a map someone here on lopers already made. Actually Ive seen two maps that look similar to that photograph. Wish I could remember where they are so i could link them

Might have to dig through the portfolios.
zombie@computer wrote:Thank god the government knows best.
korge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Zipfinator on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:22 pm

MasterDonuts mod looks similar to those pics, doesn't mean he can't make his own environment off it though guys.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Elv02 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:33 pm

korge wrote:that looks like a map someone here on lopers already made. Actually Ive seen two maps that look similar to that photograph. Wish I could remember where they are so i could link them

Might have to dig through the portfolios.

Ya, I know what you mean. I'm deleting and moving a lot of the stuff around as well as trying to get colour correction working (It's never worked for me). I'm trying to develop an atmosphere of some kind.

About the other map though, wasn't there that drop dead awesome one that was black and white awhile back? It had individual boards and rebars sticking down from the roof and the walls were gritty and everything. I think the only thing one guy hated about it was a random bed frame in it or something. I can't think of a second map.

I did look for the first one, 7 pages of the under construction forum... So far back that I started seeing the gm_awesomelycoolconstruct type maps... It was... Weird. :lol:

EDIT: Huzzah! I got color correction to work!

By elv02 at 2009-03-04
Elv02
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section