mySQL confusion

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

mySQL confusion

Postby abathor on Fri May 08, 2009 3:40 pm

I'm trying to create a simple database through the mySQL command line, and have succeeded (it says the database was created), however I cannot find the physical .sql file anywhere on my hard drive. I have tried creating different databases with different names, all to no avail.

Where are the files stored by default, I have used Windows search for any file ending with .sql and found nothing! :(

All I am really trying to achieve is to create a mySQL database which I can use with a PHP comment box on my site. Is there any way to do this without mySQL?
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: mySQL confusion

Postby Blink on Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Are you using MySQL locally on your machine? If so it would be worth installing phpMyAdmin which will give you full access to the databases through a web browser.

It's what I use.
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby zombie@computer on Fri May 08, 2009 4:06 pm

if you are using mysql to create the database, why do you need a .sql ? You simply use the mysql interface to use the database, no need for individual files. .sql is just a textfile with a (list of) mysql command(s), the database itself is contained in various .bin files and whatnot. Some of which should reside in the mysql server RAM anyways.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby abathor on Fri May 08, 2009 5:04 pm

I'm having extreme difficulty even getting PHP to recognise and work with mySQL at the moment. I've tried changing the various values in the php.ini file still with no results. Every time I try phpinfo I still don't see mysql mentioned. :(
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby davidc538 on Fri May 08, 2009 5:12 pm

this might seem kinda stupid but i coulda sworn mySQL stores its databases in .db files and .SQL files were for scripts. i could be wrong, not 100% sure
davidc538
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ScarT on Fri May 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Your MySQL databases are stored in \mysql\data\ on your local computer. If you're trying to set up an Apache server with MySQL I recommend using XAMPPLite instead, since all the work is done for you.
ScarT

Postby Blink on Fri May 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Yeah, if you're struggling try - http://www.wampserver.com/en/
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Echo51 on Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I'd suggest Xammp, have that for random testing PHP/MySQL.

.sql's are like a dump of what the db contains, like for backup and such ;)
Source is my way of life, if i didn't have it, i'd be tearing down walls and altering my house all the time.
"NEEDS MORE SPACE"
*creates 32kx32k brush for floor*
Echo51
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Web Design & Development