Web hosting advice

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Web hosting advice

Postby abathor on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:46 pm

So, my portfolio site is just about done, and I think I'm ready to get it online. As I've never done this before, I'd like some advice on it. Firstly, can anyone point me in the direction of a good host? The site is small and won't be updated too often, if that is relevant.

Secondly, my hyperlinks currently point to files on my hard drive. When do I change these? They need to point to the new location of the html files etc obviously, or is that easy to change once it is hosted?
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Web hosting advice

Postby Dionysos on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Id have the links point relative to themselves, that way you dont need to update them.

for instance, when youre in the location C:/Site/main/ and you want a link to C:/Site/main/about/info.html just make it point to /about/info.html etc. About hosters, not sure there are prolly people here who can recommend some, just look around for what suits you regarding price per bandwith, Id think.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:25 pm

abathor wrote:So, my portfolio site is just about done, and I think I'm ready to get it online. As I've never done this before, I'd like some advice on it. Firstly, can anyone point me in the direction of a good host? The site is small and won't be updated too often, if that is relevant.

Secondly, my hyperlinks currently point to files on my hard drive. When do I change these? They need to point to the new location of the html files etc obviously, or is that easy to change once it is hosted?

hyperlinks to other parts of the same site should always be relative links, in which case it doesnt matter where the site is, on your harddrive, www.google.com , or the moon.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby abathor on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:13 pm

zombie@computer wrote:
abathor wrote:So, my portfolio site is just about done, and I think I'm ready to get it online. As I've never done this before, I'd like some advice on it. Firstly, can anyone point me in the direction of a good host? The site is small and won't be updated too often, if that is relevant.

hyperlinks to other parts of the same site should always be relative links, in which case it doesnt matter where the site is, on your harddrive, http://www.google.com , or the moon.

My links at the moment are just 'home.html' or 'software.html', so I presume that is what you meant. Excellent, no fiddling around changing them! Right so I guess it's just to find a hosting service and decide on a domain name then!
abathor
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Ennui on Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 pm

As long as you aren't typing out C:/Files/Website/home.html and are instead just typing home.html in the href field the links are relative to each other and will change automatically based on where the files are (so if it's on a webserver it will be yourdomain/home.html, but when it's on your hard drive it just displays the full path). Also bear in mind that index.html is automatically selected as the "home" page for any given directory.

When it comes to web hosts, be careful, there are a lot of scammers / questionable hosts out there. I would recommend GoDaddy.com - they're legitimate, reliable, and cheap, even if their website is disorganized and overactive.
Ennui
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby blackdeath on Fri May 08, 2009 10:00 pm

so for what its worth i write software for a living, half of it web-based, and have always used hostrocket.com as my personal provider. as a personal host it's always been fantastic for me---$12/mo or something like that, practically 100% uptime, good support, and provides all the necessities (perl, php, python, ssh, ftp, etc., etc.). oh and unlimited bandwidth (and its a good enough pipe i use it for my L4D/TF2/CS:S server content downloads as well)

it looks like a standard cheesy host but *shrug* i've been using it for like 5 years and its always been good to me. the domain name will cost you another $10-$15 per year but that is the same as any place.

(and no, i don't work for them ;) )
blackdeath
Regular
Regular

Postby Echo51 on Mon May 11, 2009 8:19 pm

servage.net or something seems like a alright server, my friend has a server there, and the prices are good ;)
Source is my way of life, if i didn't have it, i'd be tearing down walls and altering my house all the time.
"NEEDS MORE SPACE"
*creates 32kx32k brush for floor*
Echo51
Pheropod
Pheropod

Return to Web Design & Development