Vertex Tool

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Vertex Tool

Postby Tutorial on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:08 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Architecture

description
If you need to make slanted brushes connect this tutorial will show you the best method.

keywords
vertex tool, vertex, tool, brush.

Here is the outcome for what this tutorial will teach.

First start off with a box shaped like a road and apply the texture you want. Make sure it is situated right. This is an important part in the process because your texture will remain in that place and you dont want to have a tough time or problems later.

I personally dont like to use the Guide Lines as they are distracting. They are useful sometimes but for this task you wouldnt need them.

Copy that box and paste it and you will have a copy of it. make sure its at the same height as the other. then put it into position.

like so..

the corners look aligned but if you zoom in they are not and it will need to be fixed.

The corner

Select the newely pasted block.

and press the vertex tool

the corners should turn into white dots.

Now select around the corner we are on. What that should look like is below. After you have a selection around the corner you need to press enter in order for it to select. One that is done it should turn red and with your selection tool you can drag it around.

Now just drag the corner you have selected to the corner of the other block. This doesnt always work but they will align with a grid. So if you find that moving this doesnt put it in the same spot then move it close. Select the other corner and move it to the one you just moved and they will align.

that was a quick lesson on selecting so i wont need to go over it again. We will now work on the other corner. The best way to do this is to move the corners to the intersecting point of those blocks.

This is what you should have in the end.

This was a basic tutorial for making a simple road but also a lesson in the vertex tool. So if you wanted to get creative or needed something to align the vertex tool helps a ton. Play around with your roads. and use references for realism.

http://images.google.com/images?q=street&hl=en

ReK0
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby Spartan on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:17 pm

This tutorial needs some more info. There is so much more you can do with the vertex tool.
Spartan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ripper_hugme on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:22 am

why is this even in the advanced section. Vert manip was the 2nd thing I learnt
Ripper_hugme
Veteran
Veteran

Postby BaRRaKID on Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:08 am

you should had mentioned the ctr+f method to add a new vertice
I've no sign
BaRRaKID
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ReK0 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:14 pm

Its meant for Noobies. And you just mentioned Ctrl+F so now they can figure it out :D. Add some more info to this thread if there is more to know about it. Thats what its here for!
ReK0

Postby -|Dizmas|- on Thu May 26, 2005 9:26 pm

If its meant for noobies, why is it in the advanced section? I learned how to do this just by playing around with the tool, its not hard enough to be in advanced.
-|Dizmas|-
Regular
Regular

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:59 pm

hey.. i have a little problem with making a cruve, first i vill make a cruve 180 just half round with grass.. next i want to make a 180 cruve that goes just 4squares all around the grass.. then there gonna be another 180 road around to.. thats big.. now if i use arch tool to make all three, there aint same size around so i cant use that... i can use vertex tool but there gonna be many blocks to make it round.. and its gonna take hell of long time

i hope you guys understand me.. what is the easyist way making it?

Greets ZybeR
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Postby Ophidian on Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:41 pm

Draw a picture up really quick in paint of how you want them to look, then upload it at imageshack.us and post the picture here. And don't post a .bmp. Then we can help you with what you need.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:47 pm

okay.. i was on work.. so ill gonna scan my concept in and post it.. when is it finnish

pic: Image
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Postby Ophidian on Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:40 am

Have you tried it at all? Give it a shot, then come back and tell us what you can't do. I think you'll find it's easier than it looks.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:07 am

i startet making 2*90' arch as the grass.. then i tried make 2*90 wall width 15 and same nr. of sides as teh grass.. so the def on the to is the wall width.. now if i take the new arch/cruve i made and plase it just the right spot as the gras arch/cruve.. then it is smaller then or break faster then the grass. so there go on eash other. :(

insted i tried making blocks to make it and then use vertex tool to make it that way.. but that took long time, and i dont know how good it was.. im not that good as vertex ill only know the basics as the tut decribs. thats where i am now..

and if i should contiune the block tool to make the road acrosse to? or what plz help :D

greets ZybeR
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Postby Ophidian on Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:41 am

Okay, judging by your picture, you want something like this:

http://www.edsfunsite.com/interlopers/archarific.rar

I made a vmf for you to look at. Have at it. It has the arch, some grass, whatever skybox is default, and it was made for css, but i'm sure it'll open for hl2 too. You're welcome. If that's no help at all, then uhh.. say so. But I hope it helps.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:29 pm

thnx you very much.. i can learn from it.. put if i can stell some more of your timee.. if you can tell me how you did it? :D

greets ZybeR
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Postby Ophidian on Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:28 pm

Sure thing. I just used the arch tool, made the first selection as wide as I wanted the 180 to be. Then just messed around with the wall width, had that all sexy, and hit okay or whatever it is. Then, I used vertex manip to make the left side look good, I mainly messed around with the inside of the arch. I did this all from the top view too. After the left side looked good, I deleted the right half of the arch, using the ig (ignore groups), and copied the left half over, and flipped it. Then I grouped both sides, copied that whole thing, and put it at the other end. I connected them with two brushes, and voila. If you need more help, I suppose I can go get screenshots and post those up. Just say the word.
Ophidian
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ZybeR | NoT on Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:20 pm

thanks.. i would like the screens to support when ill gonna try.. with the ig i dont know anything about or i dont think i have used it befor. vertex manip is what he shows in the tut? to move the point to some other place right?

and again many thanks for your time

greets ZybeR
ZybeR | NoT
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Tutorials