3%
29. Zipfinator2 Image
1%
30. Zipfinator3 Image
1%

Total votes : 308

Banner - Community Vote

Postby 904 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:42 pm

Welcome to the voting for the community created banners.

A few things to make clear, so you understand what you're voting for.

Blink is the man in charge of what goes up on the site, so he has the final say/veto over what and how things are going to be used. The battle and this voting is our way to say: "here's what we created" and "this is what we like".

I made a rule of no more than 3 images per entrant, but some of you made more. Since this is a process of choice I'm posting a maximum of 5 entries. In some cases WIP/finals were not really marked clearly.
Sadly the poll is limited to 30 options, so I had to cut out some not clearly marked entries..

The vote is for the individual images, so I'm giving you 3 votes to select your favourites.

Thanks all for entering, see you in the next map battle on june 1st.
Design Section Moderator

Re: Banner - Community Vote

Postby srredfire on Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 pm

ankhsethamon1, RefaelBA3, Meotwister3.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Wed May 27, 2009 8:49 pm

My votes were spread out between 3 different members, but there was a lot of good stuff here. Looks like one of the largest turnouts for any competition.
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dissonance on Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Aww, I didn't get included.
i had fun once, and it was awful.
dissonance
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 1447 on Wed May 27, 2009 9:21 pm

CactusFantastico1, Meotwister3 and RefaelBA3 for me. Habboi1's was pretty cool looking though, with the citadel towering over the city, but I didn't like the font, and I think the banner should consist of one single image only.
Veteran
Veteran

Postby windlab on Wed May 27, 2009 9:47 pm

I like the post ep2 / Gman styling trend going on.
That said, it's only natural for interlopers to keep itself abreast of HL.
windlab
Regular
Regular

Postby Sacul15 on Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 pm

CactusFantastico2, Meotwister3, RefaelBA5

1447 wrote:Habboi1's was pretty cool looking though, with the citadel towering over the city, but I didn't like the font, and I think the banner should consist of one single image only.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Sacul15
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MayheM on Wed May 27, 2009 10:59 pm

I am just excited mine actually got some votes, even if it is only 2 other than mine. I did want to clarify that becaseu I did in fact vote for two other peoples work

RefaelBA3 and magoc1 are pretty freaking PIMP!!!
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby KILLA-COW on Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Where are mine????

They were artistic inspiration.

BarraBanner and FlowerPower forever lives on in the memory of forgotten interlopers would-be-banners.
KILLA-COW
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Habboi on Wed May 27, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for including mine despite marking it as WIP. I'm glad people at least liked the pictures behind it. I'd have made it one image but the concept wasn't big enough.

Here's the picture if anyone wants to attempt making it fit without stretching it.

http://www.habboi.co.uk/hl2_concept.jpg

and here's one that interested me:

http://www.habboi.co.uk/ep3_concept.jpg

I understand the font doesn't suit the site but as a stylish font for other stuff, I love it.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby blackdeath on Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Submitters should be forced to turn in Photoshop/GIMP versions of these that separate the text and graphics layers out.

I'm having a hard time voting for any of these simply because the typeface/typesetting/design are hideous, or when it's not hideous, the background is. :roll:
blackdeath
Regular
Regular

Postby scratch on Thu May 28, 2009 1:00 pm

A couple of these banners are quite good even though a tad more imagination would have been nice (it just looks like a freaking HL2 fanfest to me, not banners for a Source Modding site). In the end i wasn't able to decide where my vote should go, so i chose punky's, since he's the only one who actually made something different.
scratch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Meotwister on Thu May 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Well hey give us a little bit of a break. I don't think it was laid out very clear from the get go (through no one's fault really) as to how creative we could get. Because ultimately it would be decided on by Blink and he had his own font style he wanted to use. I think that kind of lasso'd in some of the creativity that we could have spent on completely original banners. Had it been a competition to create banners that complete ignored any pre-existing branding of the Interlopers or theme of the site than you'd have had some experimental typography and riskier ideas for sure.

2 cents in the bucket.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby oneups on Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 pm

had to go with cactusfantastico2, meotwister3, and RefaelBA3. The later being my favorite.

Overall cactusfantastico#2 has a nice composition, although its a bit busy and the text can be slightly hard to read, as well as almost causing tangents.

meotwister#3 is also well composed, looks nice and is a hl map, which is what lopers is all about.

refaelba#3 was my favorite overall merely because it looks clean, its easy to read and because we don't need to see the rest of gman to know that its him.

good stuff all around though, good job guys
oneups
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 pm

Meotwister wrote:Well hey give us a little bit of a break. I don't think it was laid out very clear from the get go (through no one's fault really) as to how creative we could get. Because ultimately it would be decided on by Blink and he had his own font style he wanted to use. I think that kind of lasso'd in some of the creativity that we could have spent on completely original banners. Had it been a competition to create banners that complete ignored any pre-existing branding of the Interlopers or theme of the site than you'd have had some experimental typography and riskier ideas for sure.

2 cents in the bucket.

Yeah once limitations where put on and I knew that in all likelyhood they would not get used, (can not say I blame Blink for that) I stopped trying. I was mainly using images that where from things I created. But then tossed in that one with alex at the end.

When this came up as a topic it was my thought it should be images displaying what you have and can make. To display multiple styles on imagery submited by different members would be really cool. Images from all mods, all forms of creativity to encorperate every aspect of what is covered on this site. Take all those images and put a uniform type set over them and ahve them rotate, in my opinion it would be a great way to showcase the talent so many people have on this site. The truth is, this is Blinks baby, and I can see why he would want to control the content on the site. As he should for that matter...
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Art Challenges