Opinions on this site

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Opinions on this site

Postby Imoddedu on Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:53 pm

What do you think of this layout of the site I am making?

http://steamclans.com

I'm a novice HTML/CSS programmer. :)
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Re: Opinions on this site

Postby Imoddedu on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:51 am

The pictures are getting recoloured... something is messing up with them.
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Postby Spas12 on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:07 am

Very hard on the eyes, its killing me.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ankhsethamon on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:15 am

the layout is fine, talking about the position of the elements and such... but the colors are really bad. To contrasting, and bad combination. Also the background is really distracting....

You should try some softer combination of colors, more balanced. Try to find inspiration on other websites or templates....

I'm not a web designer. If you have luck, maybe Blink will appear around your this thread and will give you some good suggestions...
ankhsethamon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby coder0xff on Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:26 am

I've always disliked primarily black backdrop - it's hard on the eyes and looks amateur.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby whiffen on Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:07 am

Its a good start, as an amateur you can see that you do know how to use effects and design the site but there is way to much visual clutter and the colors are hard to look at.

The background dark with bold lines draws your eye to it, in most cases it should be clean and shouldn't distract you away from the actually website. The same scheme with a white background and light gray - gray lines would be less distracting.

The gradients are very rough going from black to blue, I think it needs to be a lighter gradient with less contrast. Blue to light blue for example.

While the orange does contrast the blue alright its still really hard to look at, and with the background all of those things going on at once makes me want to stab my eyes out. Its not a bad start, its great for a beginner but sometimes simpler is better.
whiffen
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Blink on Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:29 pm

It's a solid layout but I'm gonna be brutally honest and say the colour choice is a nightmare for any user. Where did you get your inspiration for this, because you won't find any proper website using such clashing colours.

I strongly recommend you re-think the colours. There are plenty of sites in the sticky thread in this very forum that will allow you to get ideas.

Good luck
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Habboi on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:23 pm

Yes, I agree with the colour comments. It's horrid on the eyes and I strongly suggest you look at some really nice websites like this one and see what colours work best. Google something like "good colour combinations for websites" and you'll learn so much.

You could always stick to one colour like I do with my blue theme.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Imoddedu on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:26 pm

Yes I knew the colors where crap. I'm redesigning with a green/black theme.
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:51 pm

i think it gave me a seizure.... :o
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Imoddedu on Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Sorry zombie! :P
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Postby MayheM on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Complementary colors do not always complement each other. At least on web sites. It is not the worst site I ahve seen by any means but it needs work. I would start by coming up with a better color pallet. Something that works well together, far less fully saturated colors and rather tones and shades of colors. (Tones meaning white added Shades meaning black added.) Take a look at some sites around and get some ideas for what colors work. Take this site for instance, bright colors are used sparingly but it is extremely visually pleasing. A big rule you dont want to break is if you have a text heavy site, you don't want to use a dark background and light type. It will cause blindness in some and sterility in others.

All that aside, the one thing I do like is the background image, not in that color really but it does resemble the logo for steam a bit... I would lower the contrast a bit and make it a charcoal gray on the black background to make it a bit more subtle.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Imoddedu on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Alright, I fixed the site. I think the color scheme looks much more better

http://steamclans.com

Also, how do I make the background picture fit the screen? The characters don't show up.
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Postby Surfa on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:07 pm

I like the idea of having the steam colour scheme as it tells the viewer straight away what sort of website it is (that is if they have steam although if they don't why would they be on your site). But maybe go the full way and try something similar to the styling of steam.
Like this?

Ok maybe not like that as that was something I did in about 10mins and just placed random text into it. But you get the idea. Also check out other steam orientated websites and look at the design.

Also remember less if more and gradient suck if not used in very small amounts. Also rounded corner are soo last year.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby NIUVA on Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:19 pm

I vote for Surfas concept, also may I suggest Joomla for such site that you are building and installing Community Builder to save you some hassle.

Currently the site looks VERY basic, unoffical and unattractive. Some solid concept idea and photoshop skills are a plus if you are going solo.
Hope I don't sound too harsh, but I agree with every single post here sofar, keep working on it. :smt023
NIUVA
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Web Design & Development