ToastFlambe

punky

Dark soul

Sad to see WIPs posted, but no finals from:
Aus_Karlos
greenman
static07
The Hollow Night

Thanks to everyone who entered (or tried to). And get ready for the next one, which will start november 1st.
Design Section Moderator

Re: Map Battle 39 (INSANITY) - Vote & Final images

Postby no00dylan on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 pm

if you're not an idiot, you'll vote for Darksoul
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Phott on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Don't see much insanity from Dark Soul, it looks wicked awesome but in my opinion not really fitting for the contest.. Some great entries here though. My vote goes to Qwiggalo.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

I see less insanity in Qwiggalos entry than Darksouls...
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mephasto on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 pm

well this one was pretty obvious. darksoul got my vote, nicely done scene.
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 pm

Voted for ToastFlambe. It's the only one to me that really showed the insanity. Sure Dark Soul's was pretty, but it's about the theme too. Seems like people are just attracted completely to visuals now though...
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby srredfire on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:27 pm

I regret not entering this, I woulda kicked all ya'll asses.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Doctor on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't see much insanity from any of the entires, most of them seem to have fear as the dominant theme, but maybe that's just me. I really liked the look of Dark Soul's, and the lighting in TheLoopyOne's looks really good, also the spikes coming out of the ground in Holy Socks' are something different I've seen done in Source. Are they models or crazy displacements?

After all that, I voted for F0xHunter because I like the world being torn up and sucked through the door, leaving you alone with in an empty world (assuming that's what's happening). It was a similar theme I was going to use with my entry, but I chose the time instead to work on my other map.

Good work from everyone!
"We're the Moe Syzlak experience featuring Homer."
The Doctor
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Graph on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 pm

DarkSoul is cool but i voted for TheLoopyOne :D
Graph

Postby Phott on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 pm

no00dylan wrote:I see less insanity in Qwiggalos entry than Darksouls...

It's completely sane to cause a school shootout... Yeah. :roll:
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Phott wrote:
no00dylan wrote:I see less insanity in Qwiggalos entry than Darksouls...

It's completely sane to cause a school shootout... Yeah. :roll:

Phott, Dylan is a bit different. He just likes the pretty visuals. He can't keep a picture in that big round lump of meat he calls a brain long enough to see what's really going on in the scene!
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zabiela on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:00 am

Foxhunter-
Very surreal, image of an imagination. The quotation is fitting for an insane person's thoughts. I like it but think it needs some reinforcement of your ideas, and a bit of polish.
topic: 6/6
quality: 2/4
8/10

Qwiggalo-
Im having a hard time understanding this one. I see a cafeteria type room, many bottles and cans on the tables. There are many old rotting corpses on the floors and bloodstains. Im not sure if this room is abandoned recently or a long time ago, or used by a freak. Now the most confusing parts- in the foreground, a hunter with weapons, sitting nearby, an alive looking human, holding a gun, with a significant looking bottle of pills behind him. A zombie woman burns off in the background for reasons I cant understand.
Security camera type date reads 4/20/(20 or 19?)99, this throws me off as to if its the recent past, or in a century, and lastly 4/20 could be a reference to cannabis, implying that because of the date some type of celebration should be happening.
Anyway, im thoroughly confused.
topic: 3/6
quality: 3/4
6/10

Theloopyone-
Great lighting and ambiance, mysterious cages float in an eerie room, it looks like a mad medical examiners lab. The yellow tape strung up in a obsessive compulsive way, like an insane person tends to do things, looks very cool.
Im completely thrown off by the biohazard sign though- first thought- ok now this person probably isnt insane as much as they're infected (yeah, i've been playing l4d a bit too much), then I realize thats all biohazard tape strung everywhere. Now i'm wondering why/who would put the biohazard notice, and what the extent of the biohazard is. I see its a cell door- is this a prisoner? theres no actual door in the space... So he may still be a scientist- then why would he need a warning about his own lab!
Anyway, when I think of insanity- I think of psychological thrillers, this seems more like horror zombie movie thriller.
topic: 4/6
quality: 3.5/4
7.5/10

Holy Socks-
Things of interest- bridge and displacement spikes. Cool start to what could be an interesting landscape. Looks very unfinished, barely even started though. The displacement spikes are very interesting. They remind me of the oblivion planes in Oblivion, and the Xen world in HL1. I see what could be the start of a cave in the background.
Clearly unfinished, but I dont see any connection to insanity.
topic: 2/6
4/10

ToastFlambe-
Now this is has strong psychological tones- its a social situation, and a bad one apparently- these people seem to be surviving in an abandoned train car in the wilderness (ep2 much?). What looks like a couple, is sitting in a moment, lost in both their thoughts, both looking worried, especially the woman holding her head in her hands.
I like that this entry has a progression in the images, although ill talk about how it confused me a bit.
The next image the first image, zoomed in on the man's head, as if to emphasize what he is thinking in that moment, maybe he is coming to a realization, maybe he is remembering something- expected in the third image.
The third image confuses me. Its the same scene, but obviously changed, and at the same time, its hard to be sure its the same train as the last image- the heavy looking boxes in the back have vanished. There is evidence of an explosion- broken shelf, train in background is charred and sticking up. Most importantly, at the end of the compartment is a fire, and what looks like the branches of a tree sticking in. I still can't figure out what happened between the two scenes, or if either one was a figment of the man's imagination. Lastly, he is apparently holding the same woman, though in a much different pose, I cant tell if shes dead or not, she looks like she could be.
topic: 5/6
quality: 3/4
8/10

Punky-
An old, odd, abandoned gas station, surrounded by a vast nothing, and a freaky sky with bright sources of colorful light. Many old abandoned cars lay everywhere around the station. A chunky sign, blurrily reads "currently out of gas". This heavy looking sign, on an eight inch square post, is jammed through the chest of a mutilated body, and what appears to be a solid layer of asphalt underneath- WOW, someone has some strong arms.
Confusing, unclear point, no apparent connection to an outside world or story. Im completely lost.
topic: 2/6
4/10

Dark Soul-
The fact that this has custom content puts it in a different league (correct me if im wrong- but those are custom models right? I havent fired up hammer in about a year or two). To really judge it amongst the others i'd have to know if these models were made specifically for the contest, or something you had already been working on, adapted to the contest. Also if there were more participants, i'd suggest separate competitions for SDK native elements and custom content. Afaik this is not a competition about whos better and more knowledgeable at creating source engine content, but whos more creative in the process, but people will not always judge on that, thus the need to separate.
Mephasto wrote:well this one was pretty obvious. darksoul got my vote, nicely done scene.

Its quite obvious someone knows how to model, as I pointed out with the question about was this content made already- its not obvious how much work was put into just the contest, and its not obvious whos the more creative mapper here!
On to a review-
Given custom models, I really wish you had provided more shots. Quick to explain- this is the entrance to a classic horror movie carnival, with a skull like clown entrance that no serious carnival owner would construct, i'm going to say this is a fantasy horror carnival, and not a real abandoned carnival. Although in the fantasy setting, it is quite abandoned- boarded up windows, unkempt dirty ground littered with trash, the architecture is worn down and rusty, and a board nailed to the wall is spraypainted with "closed" (this looks like its not in the right spot, I would put it over the window not near the ground- or why not on the entrance somehow where people... enter).
Other notable details- the lights are still on, suggesting people inhabiting the place to maintain at least the power, and in our experience of video games, probably intent on messing with whoever enters.
Blurry stuff in the background looks worthy of attention (needs more pics), is that a rollercoaster?!? And thats a good looking tent, can you enter it?
This is survival horror/fantasy thriller. Not much to do with insanity, unless it comes around in the story line, but that single picture really has nothing to do with insanity.
topic: 3/6
quality: 3.5/4 (4/4 with examples of good brushwork, and interesting architecture.)
6.5/10

So I had a tough time deciding between Fox and Toast, but Fox gets my vote for being the most near to the topic : Insanity.
I think the scenes really should have focused on one persons perception of the world and how that might differ or conflict with whats normal, or what surrounds him.
I dont think you can make an insane environment- thats just a misuse of the adjective. The only way you can show insanity, is by showing what someone perceives, especially with the lack of sound (you know an insane person when you hear one lol).
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 am

To answer a few of your questions Zabiela.

Qwiggalo's scene is of columbine, the infamous school shooting. It's a re-make of the shot from a security camera in the cafeteria.

ToastFlambe's scene has the guy imagining everything happening in the first and second pictures. In reality his lover/friend along with everyone else is dead but the way he sees it is them surviving in a rebel camp like how it used to be. At least this is the way I saw it.
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zabiela on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:23 am

Zipfinator wrote:To answer a few of your questions Zabiela.

Qwiggalo's scene is of columbine, the infamous school shooting. It's a re-make of the shot from a security camera in the cafeteria.

ToastFlambe's scene has the guy imagining everything happening in the first and second pictures. In reality his lover/friend along with everyone else is dead but the way he sees it is them surviving in a rebel camp like how it used to be. At least this is the way I saw it.

Now Qwiggalo's makes a lot more sense, however, the hunter completely throws it off for me- I thought the man was imagining that this zombie was his buddy. I guess I know too much about the models being used :lol: I assumed the bodies were old- I know them from close up and they dont look fresh.
I could see how making it more obvious it was columbine is difficult, but good effort.
(I also forgot how columbine was on 4/20- good in the sense that 90% of stoners take the day off, but what a buzzkill for the celebrations that are supposed to occur that day)

In Toast's I think just some surreal color correction on the first 2 images would have made the perspective much clearer. I do take clarity of the assumed story into account for my scoring :twisted:
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Hollow on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 am

sorry for my departure from this one, have been a little busy doing music ideas for S.T.T.& R and my new band :/ I have half term now i could've finished if the deadline was next saturday..poop

my vote goes to TheLoopyOne though, that scene is pure amazing

ah well, might enter the next battle depending on what it is.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Next

Return to Design Section