3%
punky
2%
Dark soul
37%

Total votes : 110

Re: Map Battle 39 (INSANITY) - Vote & Final images

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 am

I really didn't understand Qwiggalo's until he posted in the WIP thread saying it was Columbine and showing the comparison shots. I agree that it could have done well not using L4D content though. Rotting zombie models don't look much like crouching teenage kids (They were just crouching in the real photo, not all dead with their blood smeared everywhere).
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dark soul on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 am

Nice review Zabiela, Its always nice seeing someone take the time to write out a detailed review.

Yes, I made those models specifically for this map. Its almost all custom apart from one wall texture and the decals. That's also why I didn't take multiple shots as the models were specifically made for that angle. The map is actually for one of my game design class's. I had the idea for the carnival as my map for the contest before the class started and was debating if I should even enter. But the theme we picked for our game design document also fit the map battle so that's what ultimately made be enter. I've only been modeling for 5 months now so I also wanted to see if could even make some half way decent models.

I'm actually glad to see you say that it looks like a horror/fantasy thriller map seeing as the game design document we are working on is based on a mature version of The Phantom Toll Booth.

I wasn't actually trying to make the environment look insane or have it be from a point of view of a insane person. I was more going for the look of a place were insane people reside, not the actual place being insane as I kind of find it silly for an environment to have a state of mind. You said it yourself that no sane carnival owner would have that type of clown head as the entrance and I've always thought of carnies as being a little insane.

I wanted to vote for ToastFlambe as his shows insanity the best in my opinion. But, I think it focuses to much on the insanity of the person and not the environment. If the people were takin out it would look more like a train crash then a place were insane people reside. Ultimately my vote goes to Holy Socks as I can see some crazy individuals or even monsters living in that place.
Dark soul
Regular
Regular

Postby jgoodroad on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 am

I am sad to see no crazy mc Esher type stairs (my Idea, but I'm not very happy with what I made.) could have made better comp. might have left someone to fair against dark soul. his map looked like a sceen out of l4d2 carnival
===[]"

current projects: nmo_boardwalk, nmo_asylum
jgoodroad

Postby no00dylan on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:06 am

Zipfinator wrote:
Phott wrote:
no00dylan wrote:I see less insanity in Qwiggalos entry than Darksouls...

It's completely sane to cause a school shootout... Yeah. :roll:

Phott, Dylan is a bit different. He just likes the pretty visuals. He can't keep a picture in that big round lump of meat he calls a brain long enough to see what's really going on in the scene!

School shooting seems too human... the map itself doesn't look insane... looks like two guys holding guns in a bloody room.

Darksouls is a F*ckin abandoned carnival with a huge scary-ass clown face. Clowns are insane, creepy abandoned, torn down circuses are insane... school shootings, yeah, the people doing them are most likely insane, but is one picture of two guys with guns all that insane?

Also, I didn't know what the hell it was until someone posted the reference...

Theloopyones was also quite good, it would be my second choice.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ToastFlambe on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:35 am

ToastFlambe-
The third image confuses me. Its the same scene, but obviously changed, and at the same time, its hard to be sure its the same train as the last image- the heavy looking boxes in the back have vanished. There is evidence of an explosion- broken shelf, train in background is charred and sticking up. Most importantly, at the end of the compartment is a fire, and what looks like the branches of a tree sticking in. I still can't figure out what happened between the two scenes, or if either one was a figment of the man's imagination. Lastly, he is apparently holding the same woman, though in a much different pose, I cant tell if shes dead or not, she looks like she could be

ToastFlambe's scene has the guy imagining everything happening in the first and second pictures. In reality his lover/friend along with everyone else is dead but the way he sees it is them surviving in a rebel camp like how it used to be. At least this is the way I saw it

Pretty much. In reality the train has crashed and his friend has been killed but he still sees them as surviving on the train.

The problem with the boxes was that there wasn't a very good way to make all of them look tossed about without blocking the view to the rear of the train (and the bodies and the fire). So I picked the ep2 train model with a big hole in the side and stuck a tree through it to make it seem like the boxes could possibly have spilled through there. In the end though its hard to see the hole at the angle the screenshots were taken at.

If I were to work on it some more I would:

-Add color correction. Fuck, I forgot about this.
-Use Faceposer to make better facial expressions.
-Use a brush-based environment (not a train). Lighting on models isn't the best and these, you know, are map battles :D.

Anyway, I haven't decided who I'm voting for yet.
ToastFlambe

Postby Phott on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:52 am

no00dylan wrote:
Zipfinator wrote:
Phott wrote:
no00dylan wrote:I see less insanity in Qwiggalos entry than Darksouls...

It's completely sane to cause a school shootout... Yeah. :roll:

Phott, Dylan is a bit different. He just likes the pretty visuals. He can't keep a picture in that big round lump of meat he calls a brain long enough to see what's really going on in the scene!

School shooting seems too human... the map itself doesn't look insane... looks like two guys holding guns in a bloody room.

Darksouls is a F*ckin abandoned carnival with a huge scary-ass clown face. Clowns are insane, creepy abandoned, torn down circuses are insane... school shootings, yeah, the people doing them are most likely insane, but is one picture of two guys with guns all that insane?

Also, I didn't know what the hell it was until someone posted the reference...

Theloopyones was also quite good, it would be my second choice.

An abandoned carnival isn't human?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Spas12 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:57 am

TheLoopyOne for me, the only entry that really presented some form of insanity imo.
Past Treyarch Level Designer

Portfolio
Spas12
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jman on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:25 am

I am sad to see only one of the entries looks final, everything else looks like it's still somewhere in dev.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Evil Scotsman on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:52 am

I have to know how Holy Socks achieved those spikes.

I voted ToastFamble. Unlike the others, it's not just some pretty, creepy scene. It's the only one that seems to show insanity in it.
Evil Scotsman
Regular
Regular

Postby Zabiela on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 am

Dark soul wrote:You said it yourself that no sane carnival owner would have that type of clown head as the entrance and I've always thought of carnies as being a little insane.

:lol: Great point!
Zabiela
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby srredfire on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:41 am

Jman wrote:I am sad to see only one of the entries looks final, everything else looks like it's still somewhere in dev.

Agreed. If I'm being honest, which I am, none of these are really that great. I expected a lot more from such a theme, since some really awesome stuff could have come out of it. I request this theme be done again sometime, since all these entries kind of *ahem* suck.

Dark Soul's is the "best" since it has custom content, so it looks sexy, but uh, it's no where near insane.

Sorry guys, actually hope none of you are offended, it just seemed like a poor turnout.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby static07 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:22 am

If I weren't such a lazy git... Anyway, my vote goes to FoxHunter as you need to be a little insane to come up with that ;)
static07
Regular
Regular

Postby ReservoirWOLF on Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 am

i voted for dark soul... i think mine would have looked so nice completed and on the front page.
:( oh well theres always 40
ReservoirWOLF
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby popcornjake on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 am

TheLoopyOne got my pick, photorealism in source ftw.
popcornjake
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby punky on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 am

Wow, I actually got votes, I wasn't satisfied with my own entry at all, I wanted to do so much more with it but I woke up with a flu on Saturday... So thanks for the votes and good luck to the other contestants :)
I voted for TheLoopyOne, his scene reminded me of horror movies, which usually are pretty insane, the map also has a good feel, enough detail, nice lighting...
punky
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Design Section